Poll

Which is better, in your mind?

Songs of Innocence
18 (28.6%)
Songs of Experience
45 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
I think SOE is easily one of their finest and LIBTAIIW deserves a spot in a U2 top ten song list.   The only misstep for me is AS and it would have been just fine had they left out the bombastic ‘You Are..’.  The opening Chris Cornell-like vocals should have/could have been the core concept to carry through a stripped down deep album cut-kind of song.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:35:18 AM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline Sevy2016

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
Experience by a mile, Innocence is so so at best. SOE is the return of a melodic, coda fuelled U2.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Innocence was the lead into Experience.  In more than one way.  It was the taster as to what was to come and Experience is the more complete album

SOI could have been better if it wasn't rushed the way it was (an apple, anyone?).  Also, it didn't flow as well on the production level.  Still, it gave me a very good insight into 1970's/early 80's Dublin to the point that I could almost begin to feel what they would have experienced in their youth.  Loves, losses and self discovery.  I still enjoy listening to four mature men reaching back inside themselves to piece together memories and experiences of youth.  They did a fine job.  There are plenty of bands out there that could not have achieved that with half the eloquence of U2.

SOE is four men heading towards older age - albeit in their comfortable rockstar surroundings.  As they take stock of where they are and where they are going, they look at the world and themselves without any hint of, what we call over here in the UK, as 'grumpy old men'.  Many of their contemporaries may be forgiven for taking a whinging swipe at the world, and themselves.  But U2 try to embrace these issues with joy.  It's melodic and driven.  It seems like a band going through some kind of mid-life rebirth with a fresh impetus on life.  They took more time releasing it and that has helped them focus on what it was they wanted to convey in both terms of themes and production values.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »
Really interesting to see SOE rates so well against SOI for people, especially now with the album having been out for some time and the novelty worn off. I much prefer SOI so am a bit surprised this is so one sided to SOE. It has felt like people have been more critical of SOE on the forum than they were with SOI. Maybe that is because SOI was sprung on us and we got all the songs at once or maybe that the criticism of SOE comes from there being a broader cross section of types of songs, meaning there is greater breadth for people to really like some songs and really dislike others. Or maybe SOI did get more criticism than I recall now.