Poll

Which is better, in your mind?

Songs of Innocence
23 (29.9%)
Songs of Experience
54 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
Re: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
I think SOE is easily one of their finest and LIBTAIIW deserves a spot in a U2 top ten song list.   The only misstep for me is AS and it would have been just fine had they left out the bombastic ‘You Are..’.  The opening Chris Cornell-like vocals should have/could have been the core concept to carry through a stripped down deep album cut-kind of song.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:35:18 AM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
Experience by a mile, Innocence is so so at best. SOE is the return of a melodic, coda fuelled U2.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Innocence was the lead into Experience.  In more than one way.  It was the taster as to what was to come and Experience is the more complete album

SOI could have been better if it wasn't rushed the way it was (an apple, anyone?).  Also, it didn't flow as well on the production level.  Still, it gave me a very good insight into 1970's/early 80's Dublin to the point that I could almost begin to feel what they would have experienced in their youth.  Loves, losses and self discovery.  I still enjoy listening to four mature men reaching back inside themselves to piece together memories and experiences of youth.  They did a fine job.  There are plenty of bands out there that could not have achieved that with half the eloquence of U2.

SOE is four men heading towards older age - albeit in their comfortable rockstar surroundings.  As they take stock of where they are and where they are going, they look at the world and themselves without any hint of, what we call over here in the UK, as 'grumpy old men'.  Many of their contemporaries may be forgiven for taking a whinging swipe at the world, and themselves.  But U2 try to embrace these issues with joy.  It's melodic and driven.  It seems like a band going through some kind of mid-life rebirth with a fresh impetus on life.  They took more time releasing it and that has helped them focus on what it was they wanted to convey in both terms of themes and production values.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »
Really interesting to see SOE rates so well against SOI for people, especially now with the album having been out for some time and the novelty worn off. I much prefer SOI so am a bit surprised this is so one sided to SOE. It has felt like people have been more critical of SOE on the forum than they were with SOI. Maybe that is because SOI was sprung on us and we got all the songs at once or maybe that the criticism of SOE comes from there being a broader cross section of types of songs, meaning there is greater breadth for people to really like some songs and really dislike others. Or maybe SOI did get more criticism than I recall now. 

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »
Innocence, easily.  It has higher highs and doesn't have the lows that Experience has.  Don't get me wrong, I like Experience quite a bit, but I just think Innocence is better. That might be my favorite U2 album of this century.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
I quite liked Innocence initially but now I have started to find some of the songs I liked such as Iris starting to leave me with a slightly disturbed feeling so I have found myself skipping them as I am not sure I like how they make me feel.  No idea why really. 

Offline YouGoOn

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
I love both but I think SOE wins. I think SOI would have been better had it solely been Danger Mouse producing the album.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
I definitely prefer Experience.  While SOI wasn't a bad album, it had a certain "average song" quality to it.  Plenty of okay songs, fewer standouts.  SOE on the other hand has some stunners:  "Lights of Home", LIB, Little Things, LIAWHL, 13, Book of Your Heart, etc.  A superior effort all around.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
Still Songs of Innocence for me. I hadn't listened to it for a while and decided to play it again. It was a very pleasant experience. Overall I prefer the melodies on Innocence. Moreover  I had completely forgotten about some songs which sounded really convincing such as "The Troubles" and "The Crystal Ballroom". And I still love Iris, Cedarwood Road, Song for Someone, etc. The only song I'm not too crazy about is "Sleep like a baby tonight" as the melody feels a bit cheesy to me.

On the contrary, I've played Experience everyday since I received the album. The performance of the band is excellent, the songs are varied and some of them have really grown on me lately like "Landlady", "The Showman", "American Soul" and "Book of your heart" but unfortunately there are also several melodies that I find a bit cheesy and Coldplayish on the album (plus the production with the Vocoder doesn't help. I think getting the right balance is tricky as in my opinion it can make a song sound quite dated. I still can't connect with "Love is all we have left"...).
Besides, some of the songs contain lines that are repeated a lot, for instance I would have preferred a solo instead of some of the repeats of the line "Get out of your own way".  Maybe it will happen during the tour? That said, there are songs on Experience that have become favorites and I would be disappointed if they didn't play Red Flag Day, The Blackout or Little Things on the tour. I really like Lights of Home now that I've become used to the choir.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:02:08 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
For me, Experience has higher highs but lower lows.

Innocence is, for the most part, consistently good.

I prefer listening to Experience, even though I probably end up skipping more songs on it than I would the latter. If that makes sense, which I'm not sure it does.

Offline U2Tim

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
Innocence.

Experience is a solid album and I really enjoy it.

You’re The Best Thing About Me
Lights of Home
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Showman (Little More Better)
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Blackout

Love these songs. But I find Innocence to be even more consistent.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 06:18:45 AM »
I've finally had enough time for perspective. I love both of these albums. Experience is my pick, though. It feels more cohesive to me. Not than Innocence didn't have that.

Innocence, I tend to want to listen to a song. Maybe I'm in the mood for California, or Wolves, or Troubles. Experience, I'd better have an hour handy because I'm starting from the beginning and playing it through.

Innocence was much easier for me to get into. I was on board from the first listen, even if some specific songs were latecomers (California, TIWYCRMN).

Experience was much, much harder, but man was it worth it. I don't know if there is a reason for that. Some of my absolute favorite U2 stuff was the last stuff I could get into.