Author Topic: What are Adam's Spiritual Beliefs?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
What are Adam's Spiritual Beliefs?
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »
As we all know, Bono, Edge, and Larry have been Christians since the early days of the band. They all belonged to the same worship group, the Shalom Fellowship, while Adam wanted nothing to do with that. He was an agnostic, apparently, and definitely into the sex, drugs, rock-and-roll lifestyle.

But later on, things changed. The three Christians didn't stop being Christians but became less ascetic, while Adam cleaned up his act and evidently had a spiritual awakening. In the 2006 book, Bono on Bono by Michka Assayas, the following exchange takes place:

ASSAYAS:  Are you all believers now?

BONO: Yes. Adam had his own path, and it took him further out into the world. But I would say Adam is, right now, the most spiritually centered of the band.

Some people take this to mean that Adam is now a Christian too but I don't know about that. Adam hasn't said anything publicly. In the following photo, taken prior to the 2015 Paris concert, Bono, Edge, and Larry are clearly praying but Adam doesn't seem to be doing the same.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Does anyone have any information about Adam's spiritual perspective?

Just curious. I'm a Christian myself, but I believe God always responds to the sincere seeker so I'm sure Adam is doing fine regardless.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: What are Adam's Spiritual Beliefs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:47:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He was an agnostic, apparently, and definitely into the sex, drugs, rock-and-roll lifestyle.

But later on, things changed. The three Christians didn't stop being Christians but became less ascetic, while Adam cleaned up his act and evidently had a spiritual awakening. In the 2006 book, Bono on Bono by Michka Assayas, the following exchange takes place:

BONO: Yes. Adam had his own path, and it took him further out into the world. But I would say Adam is, right now, the most spiritually centered of the band.

Some people take this to mean that Adam is now a Christian too but I don't know about that. Adam hasn't said anything publicly. In the following photo, taken prior to the 2015 Paris concert, Bono, Edge, and Larry are clearly praying but Adam doesn't seem to be doing the same.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just curious. I'm a Christian myself, but I believe God always responds to the sincere seeker so I'm sure Adam is doing fine regardless.

It is interesting how many Christians (and some of my closest friends are Christians) seem to think that if you are not Christian that you must live some sort of a less moral lifestyle. 

My parents were both atheists and among the kindest and most giving people I knew.  They had endless time for their friends and employees and working in Central Africa paid for and encouraged their employees and their families education and very much believed in social justice.  They were spiritually centered but in a different way.  They believed in making a difference but it wasn't in pursuit of anything other than being kind and decent. 

I guess what I am saying is Adam cleaning up his act or his spiritual awakening doesn't have to mean that he is now a Christian.  Adam is probably following his own path spiritually and is not inclined to explain it, whether that includes seeking god or not probably doesn't really matter.   He seems like a fundamentally good person.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:04:13 AM by summerholly »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 04:14:07 AM »
He was an agnostic, apparently, and definitely into the sex, drugs, rock-and-roll lifestyle.

It is interesting how many Christians (and some of my closest friends are Christians) seem to think that if you are not Christian that you must live some sort of a less moral lifestyle. 

My parents were both atheists and among the kindest and most giving people I knew.  They had endless time for their friends and employees and working in Central Africa paid for and encouraged their employees and their families education and very much believed in social justice.  They were spiritually centered but in a different way.  They believed in making a difference but it wasn't in pursuit of anything other than being kind and decent. 

I guess what I am saying is Adam cleaning up his act or his spiritual awakening doesn't have to mean that he is now a Christian.  Adam is probably following his own path spiritually and is not inclined to explain it, whether that includes seeking god or not probably doesn't really matter.

I have known some very ethical and big-hearted atheists. I personally believe some atheists are closer to God than they realize. I was an atheist/agnostic myself in my youth and when I discovered God it felt like recognizing Someone who’d been there all along. Though I do feel that accepting Christ has gradually made me a better person.

However, I don’t think Bono would have referred to Adam as a believer if he were an atheist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:26:23 AM by Luzita »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »

I guess what I am saying is Adam cleaning up his act or his spiritual awakening doesn't have to mean that he is now a Christian.  Adam is probably following his own path spiritually and is not inclined to explain it, whether that includes seeking god or not probably doesn't really matter.

I have known some very ethical and big-hearted atheists. I personally believe some atheists are closer to God than they realize. I was an atheist/agnostic myself in my youth and when I discovered God it felt like recognizing Someone who’d been there all along. Though I do feel that accepting Christ has gradually made me a better person.

However, I don’t think Bono would have referred to Adam as a believer if he were an atheist.

Possibly a believer in his own way.  You can be spiritual without believing in the sense of god in the traditional way.  I cant really explain it any more than that.  I mean Bono clearly uses a lot of the teachings and words in the bible which could certainly carry meaning regardless of what your spiritual leanings are and Adam would have to be touched in some part by that. 

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
I thought this question was "what is Adam's spirit animal" and I have to say either a sloth or a giraffe.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
I thought this question was "what is Adam's spirit animal" and I have to say either a sloth or a giraffe.

Wow, sounds like you’re blind. Maybe your spirit animal is a mole. But not digging in a hole.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:34:30 PM »
It's a joke cos this forum is dead. Bless your heart.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
It's a joke cos this forum is dead. Bless your heart.

Yeah this thread is dead. Guess nobody has any information.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Adam did say during the Elevation tour, that there were times when God was walking through the room.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
Yeah I think he must believe in God in some form, a force of “love and logic” behind the universe, as Bono likes to say, or Bono wouldn’t have called him a believer. I was just curious as to the form of his beliefs. But I guess since he’s private about them no one really knows.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:44:20 AM by Luzita »

Saint22

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »

I guess what I am saying is Adam cleaning up his act or his spiritual awakening doesn't have to mean that he is now a Christian.  Adam is probably following his own path spiritually and is not inclined to explain it, whether that includes seeking god or not probably doesn't really matter.   He seems like a fundamentally good person.

Point taken, but in the context of U2, the narrative has been three of the guys were Christians and one wasn't. Three of them were family men and one was a womanizing party boy. Guess who was who? Only one member of U2 has ever been associated with substance abuse or any kind of scandal, and it just happens to be the one who was thought to be an atheist.

Come to think of it, I don't know where that idea ever even came from. Adam didn't join that charismatic movement the other three experimented with, but other than that, where did the idea of Adam being an atheist come from?

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »

Point taken, but in the context of U2, the narrative has been three of the guys were Christians and one wasn't. Three of them were family men and one was a womanizing party boy. Guess who was who? Only one member of U2 has ever been associated with substance abuse or any kind of scandal, and it just happens to be the one who was thought to be an atheist.

Come to think of it, I don't know where that idea ever even came from. Adam didn't join that charismatic movement the other three experimented with, but other than that, where did the idea of Adam being an atheist come from?
I don’t think Adam has ever stated that he was an atheist but he was definitely not a believer, from a number of clues in stuff I’ve read, including the way Bono answers the above question. He says yes, Adam is a believer *now,* indicating he wasn’t before. Or Bono would have said, oh, he was always a believer but he’s more of one now, or his beliefs have changed, or something along those lines. Adam may have been an agnostic (not sure if God exists or not), rather than an atheist (God definitely doesn’t exist), but if he wasn’t a believer those are pretty much the only choices.

From things Edge says in U2 by U2, Adam wasn’t just uninterested in their Christian group, he disapproved of it. Though he respected the others’ decisions. And I read an old Hot Press article written by Adam about one of their early U.S. tours where the band caught a ride from a church bus or something like that, and the other three band members enthusiastically talked theology with their new friends while Adam couldn’t wait for it to end.

So Adam was not only not a Christian, all indications are he wasn’t religious at all.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 06:50:43 AM »

I think Adams "rock and roll lifestyle"was pretty tame in the scheme of things.   As to substance abuse I get the feeling that Bono is a pretty heavy drinker!.  I think that underneath it all they are all pretty decent blokes regardless of what they believe in and all value loyalty and their enduring friendship/brotherhood and family including siblings, parents etc

It is possible to be spiritual without being a Christian, maybe that is where Adam is.  Who knows. I myself am definitely not a Christian or a believer in any God but I do have a deep sense of spirit and connection beyond what we can see. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:52:49 AM by summerholly »

Saint22

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »

I think Adams "rock and roll lifestyle"was pretty tame in the scheme of things.   As to substance abuse I get the feeling that Bono is a pretty heavy drinker!.  I think that underneath it all they are all pretty decent blokes regardless of what they believe in and all value loyalty and their enduring friendship/brotherhood and family including siblings, parents etc

It is possible to be spiritual without being a Christian, maybe that is where Adam is.  Who knows. I myself am definitely not a Christian or a believer in any God but I do have a deep sense of spirit and connection beyond what we can see.

Well, Adam did have one marijuana arrest (I know, ridiculous) and there was the whole incident in Australia in 1993, but the important thing is Adam seems happy and healthy today.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »
My guess is that he practices the Twelve Steps and believes in a Higher Power.  As to the specifics of that, who knows except him?