Author Topic: Jimmy Koplik on U2 Ticket Prices  (Read 2453 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Jimmy Koplik on U2 Ticket Prices
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
That’s the headline for this link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And, I stumbled upon that link via this link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline morph

• Refugee
Re: Jimmy Koplik on U2 Ticket Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
There are still tickets available for London: £300 each.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
Manchester #2 has tixs some have been reduced from £207 too £111 upper tier tixs

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 05:30:14 AM »
clearly shows are not sold like they used to. selling out is not as important now, as is squeezing up ticket prices. they'd rather wait for people to buy expensive tickets than sell out.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:29:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
clearly shows are not sold like they used to. selling out is not as important now, as is squeezing up ticket prices. they'd rather wait for people to buy expensive tickets than sell out.

I hope on the next tour they readjust their ticket prices a bit lower. When the band is not bringing in new fans and is relying on just the old hardcore fanbase, you risk pi**ing people off or turning them away at these prices.

For the next tour, how about 3 ticket prices and none of the inflated special packages:

$210
$140
$70

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »
Whether we like it or not, this way of ticketing isn't going to end any time soon.

Ticket prices this time around were probably priced close to or slightly higher than what their actual value would be on the secondary market. There's no meat on the bone for scalpers to make much or any profit. For the relatively few remaining tix, Live Nation can just dynamically tweak the price tier to make them more affordable prior to the show. Every show will be sold out when the boys get on stage.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
Mark my word: the bulk of these remaining “platinum” tickets will eventually become regularly priced tickets.

Also, as there seems to a bunch of tickets still available mostly for Tulsa and St. Louis, I expect those to either be priced down, or for a sale to pop up on Groupon or Living Social. Last summer, Hall & Oates and Tears For Fears were playing the hockey arena in my city, but sales were slow. TfF hasn’t toured in awhile, and H&O previous two stops had been at a 5,500 capacity venue. Both shows soldout, but, again, it was at least 10,000 less tickets than the arena holds. One week before, Ticketmaster slashed prices, and I scored a floor seat for $30. Come to think of it, I bought my ticket at the box office (because, f*** the Ticketmaster dot com fees.... I actually just bought Paul Simon tickets at the same areana box office just a few hours ago) while on my way to the football stadium to see U2 on their Joshua Tree tour :D

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Whether we like it or not, this way of ticketing isn't going to end any time soon.

Ticket prices this time around were probably priced close to or slightly higher than what their actual value would be on the secondary market. There's no meat on the bone for scalpers to make much or any profit. For the relatively few remaining tix, Live Nation can just dynamically tweak the price tier to make them more affordable prior to the show. Every show will be sold out when the boys get on stage.

There have been U2 shows that did not sellout in the past in arenas, usually the seats behind the stage failing to sellout. In fact recently, Denver had two shows in 2015 and neither of those shows soldout, with some sections being curtained off. They may do that for some of these shows like San Jose, Chicago 2 and maybe others.

There are still tickets at the relatively cheap $41, $76, and $106 that are not selling.

The risk with this pricing scheme is that you may drive away casual fans turned off by high prices for good seats. Once turned away, you may not get them back, even at cheaper prices. The market is not immune to pricing mistakes which this may possibly turn out to be.

When your popularity is waning, higher ticket prices are not the answer.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
I went to 2 Elevation shows that technically didn't sell out, Columbus and Indianapolis.  They had the entire rear stage area curtained off.  Both shows had over 15,000 people, but could've held 3,000 more if they'd had done the full 360.  So it's not unheard of for U2 to not sell out an arena.  There were a handful of shows in the second tier cities that didn't sell out in 2001.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
I went to 2 Elevation shows that technically didn't sell out, Columbus and Indianapolis.  They had the entire rear stage area curtained off.  Both shows had over 15,000 people, but could've held 3,000 more if they'd had done the full 360.  So it's not unheard of for U2 to not sell out an arena.  There were a handful of shows in the second tier cities that didn't sell out in 2001.
Snd, yet, every single tour since PopMart is listed as selling 100% of tickets, according to their respective Wikipedia pages, per information provided from Billboard’s box score data.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
@cocamojoe Then that info on Wikipedia is wrong.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
Snd, yet, every single tour since PopMart is listed as selling 100% of tickets, according to their respective Wikipedia pages, per information provided from Billboard’s box score data.

That's correct. But the definition of sellout there is the selling of all tickets released to the public. Some tickets are held back especially ones behind the stage when the band don't think they can sell them. Any concert that sells all the tickets released to the public gets marked as a sellout, even if the full physical capacity of the venue is not used. For example, you can sellout Madison Square Garden at 12,000 tickets IF you only release 12,000 tickets to the public to buy. That is despite the fact that the Madison Square Garden arena has at least 18,000 seats plus whatever capacity is on the floor.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
Just like how Pittsburgh "sold out" last year, despite having large swaths of the upper levels curtained off.  The fact is they wanted to sell all the tickets in the venue, but were unable to.  Hence why they lowered the capacity and hung the curtains.  This happens to all artists, including U2. 

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
Just like how Pittsburgh "sold out" last year, despite having large swaths of the upper levels curtained off.  The fact is they wanted to sell all the tickets in the venue, but were unable to.  Hence why they lowered the capacity and hung the curtains.  This happens to all artists, including U2. 
My sole caveat with what you’re saying is that these tickets WERE released to the public, at least at the Pittsburgh show last summer. On the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart, all of those “curtained off” sections in the upper sections at Heinz Field were most definitely on sale. There were also sections lower down that went unsold. What they did, was they moved the people in those upper sections down, at no extra charge. I know, because this happened to a friend of mine at last summer’s show, and it’s also happened to me at a Who concert. I bought and upper section ticket to save money, yet I ended up being moved down a section, where prices were at least double what I paid, with black curtains draped to block off the empty upper section.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
My sole caveat with what you’re saying is that these tickets WERE released to the public, at least at the Pittsburgh show last summer. On the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart, all of those “curtained off” sections in the upper sections at Heinz Field were most definitely on sale. There were also sections lower down that went unsold. What they did, was they moved the people in those upper sections down, at no extra charge. I know, because this happened to a friend of mine at last summer’s show, and it’s also happened to me at a Who concert. I bought and upper section ticket to save money, yet I ended up being moved down a section, where prices were at least double what I paid, with black curtains draped to block off the empty upper section.

I completely agree with you, those tickets were released to the public, and the public didn't want them.  So they lowered the capacity and called it "Sold out", even though it really didn't at all.  They still had 41,000+ people there, which makes 2017 their 2nd highest selling Pittsburgh show ever (after the 360 show, which also didn't sell out but they claimed it did).  The myth is that U2 always sell out their shows all the time, and that's not true.  They're still one of the top drawing acts worldwide, but asking people to pay $300 for seats behind the stage or in the upper level is pure insanity! 

People always pull the "they only made 15,000 tickets available", but that's not the true story.  In 2001 in Columbus, I'm sure they'd have preferred to sell the tickets behind the stage as well, but it wasn't going to happen.  U2 were experiencing a comeback at the time, but they still didn't fully sell out a handful of shows.