Author Topic: Jimmy Koplik on U2 Ticket Prices  (Read 2460 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Jimmy Koplik on U2 Ticket Prices
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just like how Pittsburgh "sold out" last year, despite having large swaths of the upper levels curtained off.  The fact is they wanted to sell all the tickets in the venue, but were unable to.  Hence why they lowered the capacity and hung the curtains.  This happens to all artists, including U2. 
My sole caveat with what you’re saying is that these tickets WERE released to the public, at least at the Pittsburgh show last summer. On the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart, all of those “curtained off” sections in the upper sections at Heinz Field were most definitely on sale. There were also sections lower down that went unsold. What they did, was they moved the people in those upper sections down, at no extra charge. I know, because this happened to a friend of mine at last summer’s show, and it’s also happened to me at a Who concert. I bought and upper section ticket to save money, yet I ended up being moved down a section, where prices were at least double what I paid, with black curtains draped to block off the empty upper section.

Certain rows may have been on sale in those sections, but the entire sections were not. Tickets for concerts that don't fully sellout right away are always held back. They get released at a rate that is consistent with day to day sales. Being moved simply allows them to curtain off the section instead of having a few rows that sold in a particular section with the rest of the rows empty.

If the promoter could just label any concert a sellout regardless of the number tickets released for sale, then every show on the POPMART tour would have been marked as soldout. That did not happen, and the tickets that did not sell that were released to the public were included with the figures.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 12:22:44 AM »
Just like how Pittsburgh "sold out" last year, despite having large swaths of the upper levels curtained off.  The fact is they wanted to sell all the tickets in the venue, but were unable to.  Hence why they lowered the capacity and hung the curtains.  This happens to all artists, including U2. 
My sole caveat with what you’re saying is that these tickets WERE released to the public, at least at the Pittsburgh show last summer. On the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart, all of those “curtained off” sections in the upper sections at Heinz Field were most definitely on sale. There were also sections lower down that went unsold. What they did, was they moved the people in those upper sections down, at no extra charge. I know, because this happened to a friend of mine at last summer’s show, and it’s also happened to me at a Who concert. I bought and upper section ticket to save money, yet I ended up being moved down a section, where prices were at least double what I paid, with black curtains draped to block off the empty upper section.

I completely agree with you, those tickets were released to the public, and the public didn't want them.  So they lowered the capacity and called it "Sold out", even though it really didn't at all.  They still had 41,000+ people there, which makes 2017 their 2nd highest selling Pittsburgh show ever (after the 360 show, which also didn't sell out but they claimed it did).  The myth is that U2 always sell out their shows all the time, and that's not true.  They're still one of the top drawing acts worldwide, but asking people to pay $300 for seats behind the stage or in the upper level is pure insanity! 

People always pull the "they only made 15,000 tickets available", but that's not the true story.  In 2001 in Columbus, I'm sure they'd have preferred to sell the tickets behind the stage as well, but it wasn't going to happen.  U2 were experiencing a comeback at the time, but they still didn't fully sell out a handful of shows.

If that were the case then every show on POPMART would have been marked a sellout in the official boxoffice results. Dozens of shows were not. The reason, because they failed to sell all the tickets that were released to the public. Thats the way the industry has done it since as early as 1976. Otherwise, every show, by every artist would be marked a sellout.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 03:40:25 AM »

The risk with this pricing scheme is that you may drive away casual fans turned off by high prices for good seats. Once turned away, you may not get them back, even at cheaper prices. The market is not immune to pricing mistakes which this may possibly turn out to be.

When your popularity is waning, higher ticket prices are not the answer.

I don't care how much I love a band I still object to big ticket prices.  I cant even imagine paying $1000 + for a good seat! $300 for a seat behind the stage no way ever.  I guess I have never been that obsessed that I just had to see them or any other legend for that matter at such a price!  Will leave that to the punters who are prepared to pay those prices.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 07:54:10 AM »

The risk with this pricing scheme is that you may drive away casual fans turned off by high prices for good seats. Once turned away, you may not get them back, even at cheaper prices. The market is not immune to pricing mistakes which this may possibly turn out to be.

I don't care how much I love a band I still object to big ticket prices.  I cant even imagine paying $1000 + for a good seat! $300 for a seat behind the stage no way ever.  I guess I have never been that obsessed that I just had to see them or any other legend for that matter at such a price!  Will leave that to the punters who are prepared to pay those prices.

One great thing U2 has done for the hardcore fans is to keep the General Admission tickets relatively low in price. They were $45 dollars in 2001. In 2018 they are now up to $76 dollars which is only 10 dollars above the inflation adjusted price of the 2001 ticket. The General Admission tickets are the best tickets in the venue allowing fans to get up close to the band, front row quality viewing. Its been worth it to be a paid up member at U2.com in order to be able to get these tickets for each tour and every show. You save a ton of money and have the best seat or ticket in the house.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »

One great thing U2 has done for the hardcore fans is to keep the General Admission tickets relatively low in price. They were $45 dollars in 2001. In 2018 they are now up to $76 dollars which is only 10 dollars above the inflation adjusted price of the 2001 ticket. The General Admission tickets are the best tickets in the venue allowing fans to get up close to the band, front row quality viewing. Its been worth it to be a paid up member at U2.com in order to be able to get these tickets for each tour and every show. You save a ton of money and have the best seat or ticket in the house.

That sounds like really good value!  Wouldn't do me any good because they haven't been down under for so long.  If they do come I dread to think what the ticket prices will be!

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

Paid up member of U2.com and GA/standing were really hard to get for Manchester or London this time around.  No problems in 2015 and 2017.  Not sure why - was it the extra pre-sale that was built in for pre-release album sales?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »

Paid up member of U2.com and GA/standing were really hard to get for Manchester or London this time around.  No problems in 2015 and 2017.  Not sure why - was it the extra pre-sale that was built in for pre-release album sales?

Not sure. Obviously its easier when your dealing with a Stadium and a larger capacity on the floor. Not sure why there was difficulty now compared to 2015. Were you in the Experience group or the innocence group? I think there should be 3 groups, one for people who have been consistent paid members since U2.com was formed and then the Experience and Innocence groups. Over here in the United States, things went smoothly for most people in the Experience group. Another factor could be the ratio of Experience group members in the UK vs the number of shows. Here in the United States, the cities are generally far apart which means someone in Washington D.C. does not have to worry about LARGE NUMBERS of "Experience members" from Dallas, Chicago or Los Angeles competing for the limited number of GA Washington D.C. tickets. I suppose because England is small geographically, all the Experience members there are competing for the same shows, which could make things more difficult.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
Let’s be real: part of the problem is that there are two many non-fanclub presales, from Citicard, to LiveNation/Ticketmaster, and just the venue.

Each presale has a set amount of tickets allotted for it, with those unsold eventually going to the regular market.