Author Topic: "rarities that the band is excited to be playing live for the first time."  (Read 2522 times)

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
That is a quote attributed to U2 by Deena Dietrich I think via Willie Williams - main story on the main page of atu2.

Anyhoo, I think we could maybe have Acrobat for the first time?

Other rarities? Maybe really early stuff or POP (yes please - no pun intended) but really they've played most stuff that's worth hearing surely?

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Drowning man,
Short songs on TUF,
Acrobat,
Playboy Mansion isn't played that much,
IGWSHA neither,
Some ATYCLB,
Don't know about Bomb,
Stand Up Comedy,
White as Snow,
Cedars of Lebanon,
California (meh),
SLABT,
Soldier,
Lots on SOE ;)

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
11 oclock tick tock, Rejoice,  Like a song, Drowning man, wire, Acrobat, Do you feel loved, Lemon, Baby face, Fez being born, Crumbs, any of them please

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
11 oclock tick tock, Rejoice,  Like a song, Drowning man, wire, Acrobat, Do you feel loved, Lemon, Baby face, Fez being born, Crumbs, any of them please

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Lemon is played  ???

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
I will gladly take any rarity. Acrobat would be high on the list, anything off Pop, Fez, Drowning Man, but really anything.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Taking this with a grain of salt.  Heard all this before just to never come to fruition.
Maybe a push to sell tickets saying playing longer sets and rarities for the first time.
Remember the 2 nights, 2 different shows?  Never happened, but they were pushing it before tickets when on sale and I got burnt on that.
Just not getting my hopes up.  They will probably get cold feet again like last time when Willie Williams said they were worried about not getting enough hits in.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Courtesy of u2gigs (with edits):

Boy: Every song from Boy has been played live.

October: Two songs from October have not been played live in full. A line of Stranger In A Strange Land was snippeted once, on 28 October 1984, and it never appeared live in any other manner. Is That All? never appeared in its album form, but its musical basis was taken from an earlier creation, The Cry, a mini-song that opened performances of The Electric Co. from late November 1980 to early July 1985, and again for much of 2005.

War: Three songs from War have never been played live. Red Light and The Refugee have never appeared in any form... Drowning Man appeared only as a brief snippet...

The Unforgettable Fire: Like War, three Unforgettable Fire tracks have never appeared live. They are Promenade, 4th Of July, and Elvis Presley And America.

Rattle And Hum: The only studio song on Rattle And Hum that has not been played in full live is Heartland. Its live appearances are simply a couple of snippets over the intro of Where The Streets Have No Name during October 1989.

Achtung Baby: Acrobat is the only track to never appear live. U2 rehearsed an acoustic version in private rehearsals preceding the 7 August 1992 public rehearsal in Hershey, Pennsylvania, with the intention of using it to open concerts as a segue into Zoo Station... Also notable is So Cruel; it was played live just three times, and each performance was solo by Bono. Two performances were of the full song, while the first featured just half the lyrics. A full band version suffered the same fate as Acrobat and stayed a rehearsal piece.

Zooropa: Prior to 2005, three tracks had not been played live. Now, only Some Days Are Better Than Others has not been played. The Wanderer has been performed precisely once, on 2 November 2005; it was a closed live performance for television.

Pop: ... 11 songs have been played, and the 12th, Playboy Mansion, was snippeted repeatedly at the end of Streets on Popmart's first and second legs. If God Will Send His Angels also warrants a mention: it was performed in full only once, on 25 April 1997, and all subsequent performances were a stripped-down, abbreviated version just by Bono and Edge.

All That You Can't Leave Behind: The precise count of ATYCLB songs that were played live is bogged down in pedantry and semantics. What can be said definitively is that eight of the album's eleven tracks were played. Peace On Earth may count as a ninth. It was employed as an intro to Walk On on the Elevation Tour's third leg, and while most of these performances were just snippets, extending only to a verse or so, some examples got quite lengthy and three are listed independently in our database. Some fans consider these to be nothing more than "glorified snippets", and we acknowledge this is a grey area. Peace On Earth was never played entirely in full, though such a version was rehearsed. Beyond this point, things get easier again. Two songs were never played: Grace made no live appearance at all, while When I Look At The World mustered a single snippet, on 27 November 2001.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: One Step Closer has never been played live, though it was rehearsed in Vancouver in 2015. A Man And A Woman did not make its live debut until 15 October 2011, and this performance by Bono and Edge remains its only live appearance.

No Line On The Horizon: ... The four yet to be played are Stand Up Comedy, Fez-Being Born, White As Snow, and Cedars Of Lebanon. Willie Williams did try to persuade the band to perform White As Snow at the third Dublin show of the 360 Tour, but was unsuccessful.

Songs of Innocence: Neither Sleep Like A Baby Tonight nor This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now have been performed live.

Out of that lot I guess I'm still only really interested in hearing them play Acrobat, Heartland, Promenade, So Cruel and even The Playboy Mansion in full with full band.

I'd love to hear Hawkmoon 269, Wire, God Part II, Love Is Blindness, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Dirty Day, Gone, Please, Miami (yeh shut up ye haters) and Walk To The Water or Hallelujah Here She Comes. Not too much to ask  ;)

Offline mister macphisto

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I would love to hear any of the following: A Day Without Me, Like a Song, Wire, Hallelujah Here She Comes, Hawkmoon 269, God Part II, Love is Blindness, Dirty Day, Last Night of Earth, Yahweh, Stand Up Comedy and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
I'd be interested to see if what we think are rarities versus the band - however the fact they are rehearsing so far out has made me think they are perhaps (could be famous last words) going to try and have a more flexible set list?

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
I'd be interested to see if what we think are rarities versus the band - however the fact they are rehearsing so far out has made me think they are perhaps (could be famous last words) going to try and have a more flexible set list?
Yeah, I will believe it when I see it and hear it for myself.  Like I said previous, they have done this before only to change their tune.
I have a feeling once they shift to the actual arena rehearsal, like last time when they changed their minds about the 2 nights, 2 different shows it probably will happen again.  They will have second thoughts, second guess themselves and then go back to what they are comfortable with-playing the hits.  I hope not but we will see.
I am going into these shows with zero expectations on flexible setlist and variety of songs, that way if I'm wrong it's a bonus.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Yeah, I will believe it when I see it and hear it for myself.  Like I said previous, they have done this before only to change their tune.
I have a feeling once they shift to the actual arena rehearsal, like last time when they changed their minds about the 2 nights, 2 different shows it probably will happen again.  They will have second thoughts, second guess themselves and then go back to what they are comfortable with-playing the hits.  I hope not but we will see.
I am going into these shows with zero expectations on flexible setlist and variety of songs, that way if I'm wrong it's a bonus.

Man, you need a hug  ;)

Remember In Gods' Country and The Sweetest Thing on the Elevation tour? Plus loads more on that (very under-rated) tour.

The Zoo TV encore on the Vertigo tour? Plus WGRYWH and The Electric Co. Heck, they even played Window In The Skies and Discotheque (twice!).

The 360 brought us Zooropa and Your Blue Room (a-mazing)! Plus North Star, Electrical Storm and Mercy! Plus loads of others.

The I+e had October, kept in Zooropa, brought back The Electric Co. Properly brought back Desire and gave us Gloria again!

I could name more 'rarities' etc but you see my point.

I am confident - no reasons why except expectation - that the band will perform at least 5-6 songs over the tour that will be in that category (rarities or never before played and you can't ask for more than that  :)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
I'd love to hear the following:

-Zoo Station
-Horses
- Crumbs From Your Table
- Gone
- Kite
- New York
- Last Night On Earth
- Breathe

If they can play those sporadically on this tour then i'll be very happy indeed

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still

On Interference during the I&E tour, there was a big debate about what exactly was a "rarity"... something that's only played so many times or is it something that's never played before? And if it was played before, what were the specific tours and amounts? Someone even said "It's not a rarity if I have seen it live before."  ::)

Part of me wonders though if the songs that haven't been played enough or at all just weren't very good live in the first place?

Offline ange28

• Babyface
I would love to hear Surrender , Seconds or Refugee. Somehow I feel the War album fits in with the new material.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Man, you need a hug  ;)

First world problems, huh?  ;)