Author Topic: GA, RZ, please explain how this all works?  (Read 467 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Stateless
GA, RZ, please explain how this all works?
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »
I keep seeing mention of these types of tickets, plus people signing up for fan club. I assume RZ is the coveted place against the catwalk. Is this standing area only? How do you get those tickets? How much do they cost? How many hours early do you have to show up? Does the crowd shove a lot or do people settle in their positions and behave? Is there a better alternative than Ticketmaster?

I don't know anything about this. I'll be at the Garden in June, up in the nosebleeds. (And even that ain't cheap). First time seeing them since Zoo TV. But I was curious about what it would take to get THOSE kind of tickets.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
Re: GA, RZ, please explain how this all works?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
 :) :) :)

Red Zone: A special section on the floor. Not on the rail but very good spot. It's standing only. Tix are extremely pricey. But you don't need to queue for a decent spot on the floor. See a seating chart for exact position.

GA: the floor, standing only. U2 crowds are very relaxed nowadays, no pushing etc. You can't get any closer to the band than in GA. And tix are a bargain compared with other ticket options.

No, in general you only get regular tickets thru Ticketmaster.   

fan club: for 40 resp. 50 bucks you can buy a fan club membership. This gives you the opportunity to buy tix earlier than in the regular sale. (presale). Sometimes this is the only wy to score GA tix.

Cheers!

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
More or less everything already said. But my two cents on each after doing GA numerous times:

Red Zone: More or less just paying a lot of money ($392) for a place fairly close. Oddly enough, it's usually not the locations closest to the band or with the best views, when compared to regular GA. But some prefer having to deal with less of a line or at least some guarantee of being decently close closer to when doors open. Red Zone sometimes sell out quick, but some shows like Omaha still have them available, apparently.

GA: Usually the best bang for your buck ($92) and allows you to be as close to the band as you want to be. It varies for arena or stadium shows, but some fans show up in the day or two before a concert and sign up for a fan-run list, which is the de facto way of determining the order of the line the day of the show. Then those people usually get there around sunrise and hang out around the area until doors open, as more people start lining up behind them.

I've ran into plenty of drama over the line's validity or people who do try to budge in line once people start getting ready to go on the floor. But for the most part, it's rare and once people are at their spots on the floor, everyone settles down.

If you don't go through Ticketmaster, I'd also keep an eye on forums like this or StubHub in case someone's just trying to get rid of GA tickets for regular price (or something closer to it). Not always, but you might have luck in ticket drops closer to the show if any GA tickets are released as well. Part of having the fan club membership is having the extra pre-sale to try for tickets like this, since they seem to go quick.

Offline laoghaire

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks for the info! Wow, People line up a dawn? I mean, do they not even pee all day? I'm too old for that... yet the idea of being even 20 feet away is tempting.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 01:15:03 AM »
People line up before dawn, I've spent a night in line in Vancouver in pretty cold weather. Now there usually seems to be a check-in system, for the days/nights leading up to the show. Check-in morning & night, & then stay in line on the day of the show. It's usually very well organised, with Porta-pottys. On show day you can leave the line for a bathroom break & to get food/drink etc. Some people do take advantage of this, & leave for hours.

Yes, the day does drag on. But it's actually still quite a fun sociable experience, meeting lots of other crazed fans.

But if that's not for you, for i+e it seemed to be quite easy to get a pretty good spot with minimal queueing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:40:53 AM by d.darroch »

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
GA - if you are determined to be on the rail and super close - wait for a long time or shove your way up (please don't)

In my 8 or so GA experiences, I tend to arrive about a half hour before the show to soak up the mood, and not stress waiting, you can still end up pretty dang close and have a great view. Less stress.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Every venue had a few different issues.
- red zones were in different places. Some had a bit lined up at the edge of the front of the stage (Boston and London). And, some had it sectioned off on the floor a bit away from the stage (Amsterdam and Glasgow).
- some cities had very crowded GA and some were half full (probably fire codes). And, one actually had two sections of the floor for GA and you were not suppose to go to the other side.

I usually found it easy to get within 10-20 feet of the B stage if you went there right before the set in that area.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 03:04:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In my 8 or so GA experiences, I tend to arrive about a half hour before the show to soak up the mood, and not stress waiting, you can still end up pretty dang close and have a great view. Less stress.

I did GA three times last year... I went with the whole line thing at the first show and had a great spot on the tree-stage rail, but arrived for the second and third shows either 10 minutes or an hour before doors opened. Granted, those were stadiums, but I was pretty happy with where I ended up each of those times too. I was usually only one person off from the rail, which goes to show you that you can still end up with a pretty good spot even at doors.

For arenas, I remember being at the front rail in 2015 and seeing people with numbers 186 or so line up right behind me. And those were definitely people who showed up either in the afternoon or later in the day. I haven't decided what I'll do yet this year, but if you have a GA and the set-up is similar to I&E, it should work out in your favor regardless.

One thing I do like about the rail is that you have a place to lean or put a coat on and that sort of thing!

Offline laoghaire

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
That's all great info, thanks! I see someone offering a couple Boston GAs - tempting :)

Let's say you're not on the rail but further back. And say you're 5'4". Or even a 5'0" 12 year old with her mom. If a bunch of 6 foot dude-bros end up in front of you, are you going to see nothing? The seats are at least tiered.

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
If you are shorter, the best bet is to stand back a bit, and you can see great. Remember in an arena standing back is only about 15-20 feet so it is still worth it and you don't need to get there early. The other option is if you have a cute younger kid, people might be kind and let them get up to the rail, but that is also constricting...

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let's say you're not on the rail but further back. And say you're 5'4". Or even a 5'0" 12 year old with her mom. If a bunch of 6 foot dude-bros end up in front of you, are you going to see nothing? The seats are at least tiered.

I think it just depends on where you ultimately end up at and who is around you. For example, I'm around six feet tall, but even I had a few experiences where I was a bit further back in a GA crowd and had people taller than me in front or around me. It is possible that the further from the rail you are, there might be people moving around anyway... especially if this band is shifting from stage to stage some of the time. So being a bit back might not be a bad thing.

And like McSwilly said, there might be a situation where a person around you seems nice enough and you could potentially ask them to move a little further to the side or whatever. Sometimes it's a bit constricted and sometimes it's a bit loose in terms of space around you, so you might be able to do that a bit anyway! I know at one of the Chicago shows last year, I was stunned that I had about a foot of room all around me on the floor. The Minneapolis show, not so much! ;)