Author Topic: Opening song of the I+E Tour  (Read 989 times)

Offline 7October

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Opening song of the I+E Tour
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
I was watching a bunch of U2 live videos tonight and thinking about this upcoming tour... and like any other crazy music fan, I have to envision in my head what the concert is going to be like. So of course I started with the opening song.

Now I love this new album and I am about 99.99% certain the opening song, like every other album they toured for, is going to be a song off that album. So now, what would be the perfect song to open this tour? The one I thought of is not one of my favorites on the album but it is one that has been growing on me as of late. The Blackout. Now let me explain the scenario I envision in my head..

The band takes the stage sans Bono, who slowly and mysteriously makes his way to the stage. The house lights are on until the opening notes of the song. At this time, "the lights go out in the darkness where we learn to see" - For this entire song the band plays the song in complete darkness. No stage lights, no house lights - just the music and voice of the greatest band still walking the planet today...

And my proposed set list the rest of the way:

THE BLACKOUT
GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY
YOU'RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME
LIGHTS OF HOME
RED FLAG DAY
THE SHOWMAN
BREATHE
GLORIA
THE LITTLE THINGS THAT GIVE YOU AWAY -- END SET 1

SET 2:

SUMMER OF LOVE
ANGEL OF HARLEM
THE FLY
MYSTERIOUS WAYS
STUCK IN A MOMENT
CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
LANDLADY
BEAUTIFUL DAY
PRIDE
LOVE IS BIGGER THAN ANYTHING IN ITS WAY

ENCORE:

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
BAD
ONE
I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
OUT OF CONTROL

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Opening song of the I+E Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:50:41 AM »
I haven't given it much thought but I don't mind what you have suggested, including Blackout to start with but don't think you can play it in total darkness. I doubt they would do that many new songs straight up though and an older but well known song needs to appear earlier on to keep more casual fans more engaged. Probably move Showman into part 2 and say The Fly into part 1. I also imagine Love is Bigger as the finisher although entirely possible on occasion they finish with a song like OOC or Vertigo. I also like the idea of an encore with them playing over the PA Love Is All We Have Left segueing into Streets. I would be surprised if none of SOI was played although given how personal the better songs are (as subjectively determined by me - Cedarwood Rd, EBW, Raised by Wolves, Iris) I am not really sure what to suggest they might play so maybe you are right. And I hope Stuck In A Moment isn't stuck in the setlist.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
Hereís the imaginary setlist that I have as a playlist on my phone:

1. The Blackout
2. Desire
3. I Will Follow
4. Get Out Of Your Own Way/American Soul (like on the album)
5. Vertigo
6. Red Flag Day
7. Drowning Man
8. Summer Of Love
9. One
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Numb
12. The Fly
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
14. The Showman
15. Youíre The Best Thing About Me
16. Mysterious Ways
17. Gloria
18. The Little Things That Give You Away
19. Love Is All We Have Left
20. Where The Streets Have No Name
21. Beautiful Day

--encore
22. Discoteque
23. Lights Of Home
24. Mofo
25. City Of Blinding Lights
26. Pride In The Name Of Love
27. 13 (There Is A Light)
28. With Or Without You
29. 40

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
Here is what a good setlist for the upcoming Experience And Innocence Tour should be:

01. Get Out Of Your Own Way
02. Blackout
03. You're The Best Thing About Me
04. American Soul
05. Summer Of Love
06. Landlady
07. The Little Things That Give You Away
08. Red Flag Day
09. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
10. 13(There Is a Light)

intermission

11. Volcano
12. Every Breaking Wave
13. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
14. Cedarwood Road
15. Raised By Wolves
16. Breathe
17. Magnificent
18. California
19. Song For Someone
20. Ordinary Love

Encore

21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Out Of Control
23. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
24. 40

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
By the way, this is the Experience and INNOCENCE Tour so every setlist should have songs from Songs Of Innocence in it.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
By the way, this is the Experience and INNOCENCE Tour so every setlist should have songs from Songs Of Innocence in it.

If thatís the setlist that they play, Iíll be pretty upset.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »

If thatís the setlist that they play, Iíll be pretty upset.

Oh come on now, its chalk full of songs from the last 3 albums, nice and fresh, mmmm...! Plus a blast from the past for the encore. You gotta love it!

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
So Iíve tried to be realistic - but also fit in some rarities that would fit the style and theme of the show. I have a feeling they may drop some of the warhorses, but not all. Of those I expect the JT songs to be the ones taken out.

Think it could play out something like this;

Lights of Home
Youíre the Best Thing About Me
Beautiful Day
Get Out Your Own Way
American Soul
If God Will Send His Angels
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Gone
Kite
Drowning Man

Intermission

Red Flag Day
Vertigo
Magnificent
New Years Day
Pride
Angel Of Harlem
Every Breaking Wave
All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Namer
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Itís Way

Encore

Discotheque
The Fly
Desire
One
The Little Things That Give You Away

Offline 7October

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
I thank you all for your input and comments...some great stylists I hope we get a variation of these. I remember with Achtung Baby they came right out with 8 straight on Zoo TV tour...I can see the same for this show with SOE
album...also one point of interest, the 2015 tour was also referred to as Innocence and Experience tour before SOE was written so I don't think they need to play songs from SOI. Maybe Cedarwood Road, Iris or EBW if any at all. I think no matter what they throw at us it will be an amazing show.

Online laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
Yes, Zoo TV had AB songs for a very solid stretch. I'd be happy with - heck, expect - something similar here.

I do see Blackout as being a likely opener. I want to close on Love is Bigger. And Little Things is my big kahuna for this album so I need them to include that one (thanks, lads).

I don't expect a full SOI rehash but do expect at least 2-3. EBW and a couple others. Maybe even Invisible. (Also Ordinary Love in the SOE mix).

I'm probably a rarity, but I'm rooting for fewer 20th century stuff. I haven't sunk m teeth into Blinding Lights yet but that seems to be an obvious one. Some from Leave Behind. I love Stuck in a Moment but don't see it as strong in a concert mix, but I personally would love to hear Elevation, and I think Kite might fit into the SOE theme.

I love Drowning Man, but I don't think Bono can pull that one off. Not saying he can't sing any more, he absolutely still can, but his strengths have changed. I don't want them to play anything they can't kill.