Author Topic: U2 music as a medicine  (Read 928 times)

Offline sortof_jos

• Stranger in a Strange Land
U2 music as a medicine
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Renée, I'm from Holland, and I got a free graduation assignment for philosophy; for this assignment I want to make a mini documentary about u2 music as a medicine. That is why I wanted to ask you whether you have interesting, touching or beautiful stories about how U2 has helped you. Respond to me if you would like to help me!
I also want to make a video for my assignment, so if you want to participate in that I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance guys!

BTW, I'm a great U2 fan but don't have an account here, so I'm using my dad's account

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: U2 music as a medicine
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
I was surprised to see no responses - but maybe people contacted you directly?

It sounds like an interesting project. They are powerful medicine.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »
Given how much I listen to U2 music, I should be in sparkling health. I don't have any stories to share for you but what I will say is that the great thing about music is that it sounds the same regardless of what mood you are in. Down in the dumps over something, just put on your favourite song, whether U2 or not, and it will be at least a bit uplifting.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
I have found that the song Elvis Presley In America, from the Unforgettable Fire album has mental health healing power for me.

Offline sortof_jos

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:13 AM »
on behalf of my daughter, thanks so far for your replies

Larry Mullen Seniors Son

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
In 2014, I had a death in the family that impacted me greatly. I had always liked U2 and owned the "big" albums like JT and Achtung Baby, but had never taken the full leap of faith... I found their music very healing over the months following that loss. I had a lot of problems with mortality and religion, U2 helped me through that. Songs like Lemon, Ultraviolet and Kite were especially helpful. If you'd like to discuss more, don't hesitate to message me.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
Just the sound of The Edges echoey, jangly unique guitar sound from their older music makes me feel ridiculously happy for some reason. 

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
U2 music as a medicine
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »
I was a big U2 fan in the 80s but drifted away in the 90s. A couple of years ago my mom became ill and then passed away. I started watching old U2 videos on YouTube that I hadn’t seen in years, like Gloria and Two Hearts Beat as One, because I found them comforting. From there I started watching newer videos of music I wasn’t familiar with, and gradually became completely obsessed with the band once again. Anyway, I have found their music very healing. It was hard to lose my mother and I have had continuing issues trying to take care of my sister who is mentally fragile and took her death even harder. When I put on my U2 playlist all the worry and stress goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:44:20 PM by Luzita »

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »
I've been thinking about this, but U2 doesn't work for me as a medicine, I've never had to use it as a medicine... So maybe it works very well.

I have to say: it works for me a as a kind of drug (it could in English mean the same, but people from Holland -- like myself -- will understand). The drug can make me forget totally all my worries or pain, and if it doesn't, it makes me cope with it.

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »
I use U2 as a medicine in three ways: to soothe, to empower, and to find meaning/elevate my soul.

The soothing part is the simplest. If I feel very raw, pretty much any of their songs make me feel calmer, more centered. While the ballads are a more obvious choice, even songs like Out of Control or Mysterious Ways can feel soothing. I can't overstate the importance of their music in my life in this regard, and even during my 15 year hiatus I'd call the music up in my head frequently.

While any of their songs can do the trick for me, my best example is Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World (especially the Zoo Radio version). Its place in my life as a soothing medicine has nothing to do with the lyrics or meaning. Adam's bass line and particularly Edge's very simple guitar line have a swaying, rocking quality. Bono's voice is always soothing.

Next is the empowering medicine. The simplest version of that is just putting a little spring in my step. But some songs are explicitly empowering in their progression, melody, and lyrical meaning.

I think I will choose Stuck in a Moment as my prime example, which may surprise some. I liked this song on Leave Behind; it's catchy and has a nice melody imho. But I didn't "get" the song till I saw Bono and Edge play a gorgeous, stripped down acoustic version on Letterman. (If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out). It's a tough love song, but emphasis on the love part. I feel empowered listening to it, like when things are tough I can, well, walk on.

The most complicated medicine is spiritual, to find meaning, to elevate our souls. Sometimes it's through the music, sometimes the lyrics, sometimes both. There is a joy that goes into my heart and fills it up when I hear Edge's chimes burst through the keyboard background at the beginning of Streets (and again when Larry and Adam kick it up, and again when Bono starts singing - but it all starts on those chimes), and I know I'm not alone in that. It's more than being soothed, it's being lifted.

Sometimes it's more about the words, and those words aren't always rainbows and unicorns. Every Breaking Wave is about some hard stuff, and the vast majority is centered on defeat, but all the defeat leads to being ready to be swept off our feet. This song has a lot of meaning for me personally.

Other honorable mentions include Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Kite, the Troubles, Ordinary Love, and Little Things.

Offline sortof_jos

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I use U2 as a medicine in three ways: to soothe, to empower, and to find meaning/elevate my soul.

The soothing part is the simplest. If I feel very raw, pretty much any of their songs make me feel calmer, more centered. While the ballads are a more obvious choice, even songs like Out of Control or Mysterious Ways can feel soothing. I can't overstate the importance of their music in my life in this regard, and even during my 15 year hiatus I'd call the music up in my head frequently.

While any of their songs can do the trick for me, my best example is Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World (especially the Zoo Radio version). Its place in my life as a soothing medicine has nothing to do with the lyrics or meaning. Adam's bass line and particularly Edge's very simple guitar line have a swaying, rocking quality. Bono's voice is always soothing.

Next is the empowering medicine. The simplest version of that is just putting a little spring in my step. But some songs are explicitly empowering in their progression, melody, and lyrical meaning.

I think I will choose Stuck in a Moment as my prime example, which may surprise some. I liked this song on Leave Behind; it's catchy and has a nice melody imho. But I didn't "get" the song till I saw Bono and Edge play a gorgeous, stripped down acoustic version on Letterman. (If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out). It's a tough love song, but emphasis on the love part. I feel empowered listening to it, like when things are tough I can, well, walk on.

The most complicated medicine is spiritual, to find meaning, to elevate our souls. Sometimes it's through the music, sometimes the lyrics, sometimes both. There is a joy that goes into my heart and fills it up when I hear Edge's chimes burst through the keyboard background at the beginning of Streets (and again when Larry and Adam kick it up, and again when Bono starts singing - but it all starts on those chimes), and I know I'm not alone in that. It's more than being soothed, it's being lifted.

Sometimes it's more about the words, and those words aren't always rainbows and unicorns. Every Breaking Wave is about some hard stuff, and the vast majority is centered on defeat, but all the defeat leads to being ready to be swept off our feet. This song has a lot of meaning for me personally.

Other honorable mentions include Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Kite, the Troubles, Ordinary Love, and Little Things.

Wow, thank you for this message man!

Offline sortof_jos

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »
Thank you all again for your stories! I am truly amazed that all of you would share such inspiring and tough stories with me! I'd love to hear more stories! :) :)

Offline sortof_jos

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
Hereby the link! I want to thank you all so so much! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ❤️

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 04:47:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hereby the link! I want to thank you all so so much! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ❤️
Watching right now.

You realise you're saying 'yourself' together with 'Love Is Bigger'? (around 1m 04s)

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »
Aw, I was hoping to hear (see?) it but I guess it's been deleted.