Author Topic: who's going to fill there shoes  (Read 1336 times)

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
who's going to fill there shoes
« on: March 31, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Me and my kids were having a debate we all three agreed that U2 is the last of the Rockstars ,so i asked them who is going to fill those shoes meaning what rock bands will sell out arenas or football stadiums once the big bands stop the only one we could think of was the foo fighters they could sell out arenas but not stadiums but can't think of anyone else can you,

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: who's going to fill there shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
Sadly, nobody.

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:44:49 AM »
I know right, it makes me sad that there is going to be all these empty arenas

Larry Mullen Seniors Son

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
There's a few bands that have had recent stadium/arena runs like Coldplay, Foo Fighters, The Killers or Jack White... but they've all been at it for 15+ years and I don't see them having the longevity of U2 or the Stones - It's a serious cultural moment when either one of them roll into town, I don't see any of those mentioned bands moving the needle when they come into town. Let's just enjoy it while we can and remember that we were lucky enough to live through Rock N Roll Camelot.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
There is nobody close to them at the moment sadly.  Most of the best bands that are still around were formed in the 20th century.

Offline Steve440

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
Arcade Fire (obviously!)

Larry Mullen Seniors Son

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Arcade Fire (obviously!)

It was pretty well publicized that they played to a lot of half-empty arenas on their latest North American tour. I'm a fan, but they seem to have lost the trail on being a big touring pull.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
You'll have people who can fill a stadium, you just won't have people that can really make you FEEL like the so called dinosaurs can in a stadium. U2 and the Stones have it down to a fine art, And if they visit your city it's a real treat. Plenty of other great live bands, But when it comes to U2, they're right, they can really make the gig like going to church, a joyful event. ANd that is hard to capture. That absolute spine tingling moment when streets starts, No other band on the planet can do that. So i just go to as many shows as possible and be thankful for it. The foos can put on one hell of a show, as can coldplay etc, they just can't get to the level U2 can.

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
To all of you out of touch older people, there are an absolutely ton of underground/lesser known rock bands. Most of them only reaching mid-level festival slots. Rock may never be as bit as it once was, but its certainly not gone. And you never know what'll happen in the future.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
I know there are exceptions, but I don’t think most of the younger generation listen to rock, guitar-driven music. 

My 19-year-old listens to some classic rock.  But for newer stuff, it’s all hip hop and rap.  Look at the Top 40 – not many (or any) guitar-driven bands, at any given time.  Sure, there’s still plenty of good, new rock music being made.  But it’s out on the fringes, not on mainstream radio, and, again, with the occasional caveat, not listened to by 15-25 year olds.   I’m sure some of our 15-25 year old members of the forum can correct me if I’m wrong – if the majority of their peers really do listen to guitar-driven rock bands predominantly.  And if so, I’d be curious where they live.

That being said, there’s  a good argument that U2 are the “last of the rock stars, before hip hop drove the big cars,” especially as far as critical, commercial, and touring success goes.   But I don’t think they’re even the biggest rock act out there right now.  Personally, I'd give that honor to Imagine Dragons, if you would indeed fashion them a rock and roll band.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
COLDPLAY

Coldplay's most recent tour was the 3rd highest grossing tour in history!

A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS TOUR: 2016-2017
promoting their new album "A Head Full Of Dreams"

GROSS: $523,033,675
ATTENDANCE: 5,389,586
SHOWS: 114

All the shows were in stadiums except for a few in North America.

In terms of artist who released their first album after the year 2000, some to look out for our One Direction(if they ever get back together), Taylor Swift, Adele, and Beyoncé.
Those are not rock bands of course, but they could be or are close to being global stadium fillers.

Imagine Dragons is very popular right now and closest thing to a U2 of the 10s in terms of commercial performance, but they are way behind when it comes to concert attendance. They struggle to fill arenas. They are the 2nd most streamed band after Coldplay and released their first album in this decade.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
No one likes Imagine Dragons.  They make music that is played in ads and on the radio, but they have hardly any fans. 

In my experience, most people my age (22), do listen to rock bands, but there's no consensus.  I'm crazy about the Arctic Monkeys, my roommate about Walk the Moon, another friend about The Decemberists, another about OK Go (for some reason), another about twenty one pilots, etc etc.  twenty one pilots are probably the biggest rock band around at the moment.  They aren't guitar driven, and they rap in a lot of their songs, but I'd say their music is still rock.  They're as big as any rapper or pop singer.

Offline guinnyu2

• Stateless
  • hi, my name's frank
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:54 AM »
To all of you out of touch older people, there are an absolutely ton of underground/lesser known rock bands. Most of them only reaching mid-level festival slots. Rock may never be as bit as it once was, but its certainly not gone. And you never know what'll happen in the future.

AMEN!!!

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »
I certainly hope so, my daughter mentioned the artic monkeys, and my son mentioned 5fdp it just kinda makes me sad at the state of rock right now ,i hoping that there will be a rock band that has 4 or 5 stars in the band ,like u2 ,the beatles,led zep, right now i just don't see it

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 10:23:18 AM »
No one likes Imagine Dragons.  They make music that is played in ads and on the radio, but they have hardly any fans. 

In my experience, most people my age (22), do listen to rock bands, but there's no consensus.  I'm crazy about the Arctic Monkeys, my roommate about Walk the Moon, another friend about The Decemberists, another about OK Go (for some reason), another about twenty one pilots, etc etc.  twenty one pilots are probably the biggest rock band around at the moment.  They aren't guitar driven, and they rap in a lot of their songs, but I'd say their music is still rock.  They're as big as any rapper or pop singer.

Someone does because they are the second most streamed band after Coldplay. Unlike Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons play primarily in arenas. Its not about what your circle of friends like. That's not representative of whats popular in a country of 330 million people. To find that out, you need to look at concert attendance, gross, streaming, album sales(physical and digital), individual digital track sales, radio airplay on a national level.