Author Topic: who's going to fill there shoes  (Read 702 times)

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
Re: who's going to fill there shoes
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No one likes Imagine Dragons.  They make music that is played in ads and on the radio, but they have hardly any fans. 

In my experience, most people my age (22), do listen to rock bands, but there's no consensus.  I'm crazy about the Arctic Monkeys, my roommate about Walk the Moon, another friend about The Decemberists, another about OK Go (for some reason), another about twenty one pilots, etc etc.  twenty one pilots are probably the biggest rock band around at the moment.  They aren't guitar driven, and they rap in a lot of their songs, but I'd say their music is still rock.  They're as big as any rapper or pop singer.

Someone does because they are the second most streamed band after Coldplay. Unlike Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons play primarily in arenas. Its not about what your circle of friends like. That's not representative of whats popular in a country of 330 million people. To find that out, you need to look at concert attendance, gross, streaming, album sales(physical and digital), individual digital track sales, radio airplay on a national level.

As you said, though, their live attendance pales in comparison with their streaming numbers.  This is because they get all the promotion and placement on playlists in the world, but they have comparatively few actual fans who love their music. I think they piggyback off their early hits, It's Time, Radioactive, etc, that were actually good and liked by the public.  Their stuff now regularly ends up on worst of the year lists etc.

Offline wons

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
No one likes Imagine Dragons.  They make music that is played in ads and on the radio, but they have hardly any fans. 

In my experience, most people my age (22), do listen to rock bands, but there's no consensus.  I'm crazy about the Arctic Monkeys, my roommate about Walk the Moon, another friend about The Decemberists, another about OK Go (for some reason), another about twenty one pilots, etc etc.  twenty one pilots are probably the biggest rock band around at the moment.  They aren't guitar driven, and they rap in a lot of their songs, but I'd say their music is still rock.  They're as big as any rapper or pop singer.

Someone does because they are the second most streamed band after Coldplay. Unlike Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons play primarily in arenas. Its not about what your circle of friends like. That's not representative of whats popular in a country of 330 million people. To find that out, you need to look at concert attendance, gross, streaming, album sales(physical and digital), individual digital track sales, radio airplay on a national level.

As you said, though, their live attendance pales in comparison with their streaming numbers.  This is because they get all the promotion and placement on playlists in the world, but they have comparatively few actual fans who love their music. I think they piggyback off their early hits, It's Time, Radioactive, etc, that were actually good and liked by the public.  Their stuff now regularly ends up on worst of the year lists etc.

That is usually a feature of most new very popular artist, especially ones that only have one album or two albums out. They may sell or stream a lot, but it take time for concert attendance figures to catch up with those numbers. Or, it takes time for people to fall in love with the band that they want to spend good money on a one or two hour show. Album, single sales or streaming, radio airplay is what generates the demand for tickets, but it can take some time. Notice that Coldplay's first stadium tour in the United States did not happen until 2016 even though their first album was released in 2000.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
Where I live, Ed Sheeran recently sold out 2 stadium shows back to back in our new stadium.  Just him and his guitar apparently and according to people who went it was great show.

Who knows what is to come.  Yeah I am glad I lived through the generation I did music wise but who knows where the future will take us and maybe stadium shows are not where the young people are anyway. I remember when I was young our best entertainment was the stack of young bands that played the pub and nightclub venues, that was electric. 

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 04:18:29 AM »
Depeche Mode.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
While y'all are waiting for the next rock band who can fill stadiums, go check out your local scene. You'll have fun - I guarantee it.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »
While y'all are waiting for the next rock band who can fill stadiums, go check out your local scene. You'll have fun - I guarantee it.

Haha been there and done that many years ago and agree had lots of fun!  There were loads of good bands.  Have zero interest in all that rigmarole nowadays!  A quiet beer with friends or photographing the night sky is more my idea of night time fun lol.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
Depeche Mode.

Love them to death, but they’re nearly as old as U2 are. They aren’t filling stadiums, either, but they do consistently fill arenas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
I'd like it to be Inhaler.  But only after U2 are no more.  (Can we really have father and son vying for the same attention?).