Author Topic: Las Vegas to Death Valley and TJT May 10th ROAD TRIP  (Read 551 times)

Offline sticky

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Las Vegas to Death Valley and TJT May 10th ROAD TRIP
« on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
hi
I'm going to be in Vegas for a few days before the shows in May and will hire a car to go to Death Valley and try to find the tree!
I don't know where it is (Yet) and thought some company would make the day more interesting.
If anyone is in Vegas and wants a day road trip reply here and maybe we can sort something out.
I am thinking about leaving approx. 9am Thursday and return that evening (the day before the first show).
Phil

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Las Vegas to Death Valley and TJT May 10th ROAD TRIP
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:50:35 AM »
Not 100% sure on this, but think I read that the tree is gone. Vaguely recall that there is a plaque there instead. Just looked it up actually and it was vandalized back in 2000. An article I found said it died in 2000 - I know some people around here that will note the irony of saying U2's Joshua Tree died in 2000 (for those that don't like the post 2000 output).

Offline sticky

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
hi
cheers I know the tree has gone but I still want to do a road trip that way as I have a free day and want to go out int the desert

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:58:59 AM »
It's still a nice spot with a lot U2 things. Is nice to go their. Try to find the spots where the front cover picture is taken. It's a breathtaking view I guess

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
The tree is about a 3 1/2 hour drive (one way) from Las Vegas - FYI :)  I'd go but I won't be arriving in Vegas until later in the afternoon, too late to go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:22:59 AM by jgrooms »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
I think pieces of the tree are still there though. I think a week long tour of the California desert and mountains, as well as several of the old ghost towns would be really cool. U2 filmed and took a lot of pictures at different locations. The 30th anniversary delux Joshua Tree album comes with a book by Edge with a lot of those pictures, mountains, deserts, the original Joshua Tree, and several ghost towns. Amazing incredible imagery! Its a very different California from the one you usually see in the news, movies etc.

Offline Swedescott

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
I am planning a pilgrimage there next spring as part of a larger trip. Last I heard, the physical tree was still there, but toppled over for a few years. Can anyone confirm? Thank you!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am planning a pilgrimage there next spring as part of a larger trip. Last I heard, the physical tree was still there, but toppled over for a few years. Can anyone confirm? Thank you!

I was there three years ago.  Very easy to find although you have to walk off the road for a little bit.  There is a pretty large stone plaque on the ground to commemorate the site and fans leave messages and mementos.  The tree fell victim to disease and is still at the site on the ground in a petrified state.  There is something special about the place.  I would encourage any fan to visit.

Offline desertrat

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
I would also recommend going out to Joshua Tree National Park. Taking the back roads from LV to the towns of JT and Twentynine Palms is usually about 3 hours. Great photo ops on parts of the old Route 66. The park is a very special place. Stop at the Harmony Motel on highway 62 in Twentynine Palms for a little nostalgia (and of course get a black&white photo under the sign!). There's also a lot of Gram Parsons folklore in the area. Including the Joshua Tree Inn where you can stay in the same room he passed away in. Not to mention all the thrift/antique stores where you can find some good used vinyl for your turntable. Cheers!

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:31 AM »
You'll pass Zabriskie Point on the way if you go via Pahrump and Furnace Creek. Can be very windy over the wall (you'll know what I mean if you visit) but worth trying to get a bit further down for the album cover recreation! But be careful. We visited nearly 4 years ago and the tree was still recognizable, albeit on its side! Good luck.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:29:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You'll pass Zabriskie Point on the way if you go via Pahrump and Furnace Creek. Can be very windy over the wall (you'll know what I mean if you visit) but worth trying to get a bit further down for the album cover recreation! But be careful. We visited nearly 4 years ago and the tree was still recognizable, albeit on its side! Good luck.

Great idea about the Point.  Call ahead-- they were recently doing repairs to it not long ago and it was actually closed.