Author Topic: Artifacts in the music  (Read 853 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Artifacts in the music
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
My favorite is at the end of Is That All?, a song I see doesn't get much love but I adore. They just tear it up, every last one of them just going nuts, and at the end we're left with a bit of feedback and then it sounds to me like something drops on the floor and bounces a couple of times. A great way to end something with so much energy.

I've heard that Edge breaks a couple of strings on Love is Blindness, and I'd love to pinpoint the moment(s), but alas, I don't hear it.

Any other artifacts you know about?

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: Artifacts in the music
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My favorite is at the end of Is That All?, a song I see doesn't get much love but I adore. They just tear it up, every last one of them just going nuts, and at the end we're left with a bit of feedback and then it sounds to me like something drops on the floor and bounces a couple of times. A great way to end something with so much energy.

I've heard that Edge breaks a couple of strings on Love is Blindness, and I'd love to pinpoint the moment(s), but alas, I don't hear it.

Any other artifacts you know about?
I guess they've played it many times for recording, and that sometimes it broke.

I love the small talk at the end of some Pop songs. I don't know which songs. Could be If God, Last Night, Velvet Dress. Not sure. Listen closely to the album with proper headphones, you'll hear it

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »
You can definitely hear the string break on Love is Blindness, it happens in the middle of the last guitar solo

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
You can definitely hear the string break on Love is Blindness, it happens in the middle of the last guitar solo
Do you have a minute/second mark for spotify or youtube? Can't hear it

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:15:55 PM »
In Ultraviolet just before the "I remember" verse Larry drops a stick and you can clearly hear the change in drumming.
Start of Unforgettable Fire Larry hits the sticks together counting in then stops and says "Oh sh**"
Love Rescue Me, Adam plays a wrong note.
Intro to Numb you can faintly hear Edge talking "Actually I find it's quite hard"

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »
At the beginning of Lemon, just after the first beats, you can hear someone say "start". At about 2:16 in Mofo you can hear someone say "happy". In addition to these, I also really enjoy the whoops of joy. The scream in ABOY, and the whoops of musical inspiration in both TLOH and LIBTAIIW on Songs of Experience really work for me.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »
The Lanois omnichord at the end of Trip.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:10 AM »
Wow, this is a gold mine!! I hope I can hear even any of these (hearing impaired) - will check them out!

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
In Ultraviolet just before the "I remember" verse Larry drops a stick and you can clearly hear the change in drumming.
Start of Unforgettable Fire Larry hits the sticks together counting in then stops and says "Oh sh**"
Love Rescue Me, Adam plays a wrong note.
Intro to Numb you can faintly hear Edge talking "Actually I find it's quite hard"
Wow, barely hearable. Turned up the volume pretty high. But you hear it very softly and low, like it's outside of you headphone.

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 06:09:04 AM »
At the beginning of Lemon, just after the first beats, you can hear someone say "start". At about 2:16 in Mofo you can hear someone say "happy". In addition to these, I also really enjoy the whoops of joy. The scream in ABOY, and the whoops of musical inspiration in both TLOH and LIBTAIIW on Songs of Experience really work for me.
Yeah, I hear it, too. I always thought it was meant to be. Like the background noises on Numb. I think it's The Edge saying 'happy birthday' or 'happy, bud[dy]?'
I think that's not Edge and it's meant, there are a lot of background noises in Numb
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:11:43 AM by JFW »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
I just checked TUF - and let me just say I hadn't heard it in a while and reallllly enjoyed it, listened to the rest of the album through, started again on ASoH, and listened all the way to the end of the title track again. Wow! Didn't expect to enjoy it that much! Thought I was just going to listen to a few seconds.

Anyway, I can't hear Larry's "oh sh**" - there's a guitar note right where I assume it is. But I can hear the context - he's clicking off too soon. He clicks off again a bit later. Even if I can't hear his words I get a kick out of it, thanks for sharing.

It made me wonder, though - clearly they are recording together rather than laying down separate tracks, otherwise they would have scrubbed Larry's take (I assume). It would be interesting to know what things got recorded all together and what didn't, and the pros and cons of a good clean sound vs a raw energy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:32:52 AM by laoghaire »

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
I just checked TUF - and let me just say I hadn't heard it in a while and reallllly enjoyed it, listened to the rest of the album through, started again on ASoH, and listened all the way to the end of the title track again. Wow! Didn't expect to enjoy it that much! Thought I was just going to listen to a few seconds.

Anyway, I can't hear Larry's "oh sh**" - there's a guitar note right where I assume it is. But I can hear the context - he's clicking off too soon. He clicks off again a bit later. Even if I can't hear his words I get a kick out of it, thanks for sharing.

It made me wonder, though - clearly they are recording together rather than laying down separate tracks, otherwise they would have scrubbed Larry's take (I assume). It would be interesting to know what things got recorded all together and what didn't, and the pros and cons of a good clean sound vs a raw energy.
I expected a high pitched 'o, sh**', but he says it really calm. Use good headphones and listen a few times to it.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
Early on during Beautiful Day you can hear Bono lick his lips...about 20 seconds or so into the song.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
Early on during Beautiful Day you can hear Bono lick his lips...about 20 seconds or so into the song.

Same thing at the beginning of One Step Closer.  It's kind of annoying. 

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »
In Get Out Of Your Own Way's outro, during Kendrick's "sermon", the intro comes in again on a loop in the left channel.