Author Topic: Hi, I'm new  (Read 640 times)

Offline jackde65

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Hi, I'm new
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
I'm new here. I'm definitely not a new person. I've been a U2 fan since 1985, avid since 1987. I thought it would be nice to read some U2 forums. I've read a bunch. Most of you seem very nice. The others? I just don't know..... j/k of course  ;)      HELLO ALL YOU U2 LOVERS!!!

NO LINE ON THE HORIZON is my 6th favorite U2 album. Does that make me weird? Why does it seem like that is everyone's least favorite? I'm sure it's been discussed to death here. I'll do a search.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:43:16 AM by jackde65 »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Hi, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
I've been paying attention to what posters here think about No Line because it (along with bomb) is a gap in my knowledge (I took a hiatus and have those albums and listened through once or twice but neither "caught" for me).

My takeaway is that there are quite a few members here who hold it in high regard, and I've even seen some who list it in their top three. So you are in good company.

While there are some albums and songs that don't recieve consistant love across the board, no sooner will someone refer to Pop as a terrible album or Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses as either a terrible song or at least done in a horrible arrangement on the album, than someone else will be right along to say Pop is their number one favorite album or Wild Horses their absolute favorite song.

The only fairly consistantly derided song seems to be A Man and a Woman.

And cue defender in three, two, one...

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Hi, I'm new
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:46:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum. You definitely aren't weird for liking NLOTH. It is a bit like Pop actually. Misunderstood, not liked by the band but gradually obtaining cult status (some way to go yet). People like what it could have been if there were more songs like Fez, Winter, MOS, COL, Soon and less songs like Boots (derided for being chosen as 1st single), SUC (which I don't mind) and Crazy. The album seems to be regarded as a lost opportunity because U2 weren't bold enough to go with the more experimental stuff and put in some bland and safe music.