Author Topic: Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2  (Read 875 times)

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2
« on: April 08, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
This was kind of funny. U2 is at the 7 minute mark. Check it out.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline laoghaire

• Stateless
Re: Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
"Sounds like Coldplay."

<dies>

Offline laoghaire

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
The thing that blows my mind is college kids never having HEARD of them. I don't expect any fans. But when I was growing up, I sure know who all the big bands and performers of the past were. Beatles, Stones, Who, Doors, Hendrix, Aretha, Temptations, Gaye, Otis, James Brown, need I go on? They were not of my generation but I knew who they were, and if you're my age, I bet you do too. And U2 are big enough to be on the list of major, major bands of Gen X. How come our kids' generation - at least the white kids - have never even heard of the biggest bands of our time?

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
I blame the parents. My kids might not be huge fans, but they know U2, The Clash, Prince and other greats I grew up with.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
The thing that blows my mind is college kids never having HEARD of them. I don't expect any fans. But when I was growing up, I sure know who all the big bands and performers of the past were. Beatles, Stones, Who, Doors, Hendrix, Aretha, Temptations, Gaye, Otis, James Brown, need I go on? They were not of my generation but I knew who they were, and if you're my age, I bet you do too. And U2 are big enough to be on the list of major, major bands of Gen X. How come our kids' generation - at least the white kids - have never even heard of the biggest bands of our time?

I think part of it might be is that the size of the music universe has grown. In college in 1990, you have about 35 years of pop/rock music history if the starting point is 1955. By 2020 that nearly doubles to 65 years.

Then there is the growth of the internet and how that has fragmented taste and interest in art and entertainment. In 1979, you had AM and FM radio and 3 or 4 channels on TV. The population was grouped together more easily in 1979 because there were only a few outlets for music and shows.

Still it is a shock, to see this already before we even get to 2020. Makes you wonder what college students in the year 2050 will know about the 20th century.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
I got the impression most of the kids had heard of U2, but most seemed to know them only because of the apple thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:59:40 PM »

I think part of it might be is that the size of the music universe has grown. In college in 1990, you have about 35 years of pop/rock music history if the starting point is 1955. By 2020 that nearly doubles to 65 years.

Then there is the growth of the internet and how that has fragmented taste and interest in art and entertainment. In 1979, you had AM and FM radio and 3 or 4 channels on TV. The population was grouped together more easily in 1979 because there were only a few outlets for music and shows.

Still it is a shock, to see this already before we even get to 2020. Makes you wonder what college students in the year 2050 will know about the 20th century.
You make some good points. But at the same time, the Internet makes past music more accessible.

I remember when American Graffiti came out, when I was 13 or 14, the 50s music on it was completely new to me. But then, my parents are immigrants so they didn’t listen to 50s American music. If they had been American or from an English-speaking country maybe I would have heard it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
I forgot how much I love Smooth Operator.  Also, as a college kid, I knew all of these songs, but I thought I'm Coming Out was Gloria Gaynor for some reason and didn't know who Fight the Power was by, but I've heard of Public Enemy.  These people seemed to just be really disconnected from music in general.  Like, most of them don't know who did Another One Bites the Dust.  How?

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 02:01:18 AM »
My nieces probably think that they are a band of old fogeys.  Mind you I hardly know any of the current music stars or am remotely interested in them for that matter so why should they know mine? My parents loved the big opera and jazz stars of their era and I really never liked opera or jazz for that matter and had little interest in who they were as a younster.!  Haha my parents thought that was sacrilege but then they have no idea who U2 is apart from a passing recognition of the name Bono.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 04:24:59 AM »
I forgot how much I love Smooth Operator.  Also, as a college kid, I knew all of these songs, but I thought I'm Coming Out was Gloria Gaynor for some reason and didn't know who Fight the Power was by, but I've heard of Public Enemy.  These people seemed to just be really disconnected from music in general.  Like, most of them don't know who did Another One Bites the Dust.  How?

The Queen songs, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, and Another One Bites The Dust, have been staples at sporting events around the world for decades. So name the sport, and those songs are being played during time outs and intermissions. I think that is part of the reason why the songs are so well recognized, but not the band.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:56 AM »
I'm one of the younger fans (21). I started to listen frequently to U2 at age 16. I did heard of them, but if you asked: which songs of U2 do you know, I probably couldn't answer.

When I started to listen to their catalogue I realized: so, this is a U2 song, and this and this and this. From almost every album I did know a song or two (I think Boy, October, Zooropa and Pop didn't have one). And I did know songs like The Sweetest Thing and Window In The Skies (it remember it as the first English song that was stuck in my head while playing in the playground (age 7 or 9 or so), 'o can't you see what love has done'. Magical time travel moment a few years ago for me when I found out it was a U2 song.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 05:08:15 AM »
Wow, seeing the video, I'm really surprised! I thought that WOWY was still a thing and liked by many young people. That Apple thing did hurt...

The Apple thing is not much of an issue for me or others close to me. In my part of the country, there aren't many iPhones. But I'm really surprised

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
Nooooo!

Kids of today are CONFUSING U2 and Coldplay.  I guess it's nice that they think U2 are of a similar age to Coldplay...but they can't see that U2 INFLUENCED Coldplay.

As for With of Without You being lovey-dovey and throwing up rainbows, that girl needs to take another listen to the song!

The apple thing has got under their skin like they are a new band that they discovered.  But it hasn't worn off on them.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
My nieces probably think that they are a band of old fogeys.  Mind you I hardly know any of the current music stars or am remotely interested in them for that matter so why should they know mine? My parents loved the big opera and jazz stars of their era and I really never liked opera or jazz for that matter and had little interest in who they were as a younster.!  Haha my parents thought that was sacrilege but then they have no idea who U2 is apart from a passing recognition of the name Bono.

I'm middle aged and listen to the radio to and from work.  Here's a contemporary track by Rudimental about heartbreak.  It's catchy and singable.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »

I'm middle aged and listen to the radio to and from work.  Here's a contemporary track by Rudimental about heartbreak.  It's catchy and singable.

Sound like, Lean On Me by Bill Withers sped up. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login