Author Topic: Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2  (Read 1646 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: Do College Kids Know 80s music featuring U2
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My nieces probably think that they are a band of old fogeys.  Mind you I hardly know any of the current music stars or am remotely interested in them for that matter so why should they know mine? My parents loved the big opera and jazz stars of their era and I really never liked opera or jazz for that matter and had little interest in who they were as a younster.!  Haha my parents thought that was sacrilege but then they have no idea who U2 is apart from a passing recognition of the name Bono.

I'm middle aged and listen to the radio to and from work.  Here's a contemporary track by Rudimental about heartbreak.  It's catchy and singable.

Never heard that one or even heard of Rudimental but then I am more attracted to music with a lot of good lead guitar and interesting instrumental work in it so hence probably why I tend to have little interest in current music.  The only radio station that I can get where I live never plays anything anymore post nineties by the request of the main demographic out here in farming country which is around 40 plus.  It is a bit limiting sure but then they do also have a dedicated new music station which only in certain areas I can tune in to and apart for a few songs I have to say it sounds completely alien to me and completely uninteresting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:58:52 PM by summerholly »

Offline GPitt

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
They know older music but a lot of it comes from their parents, or interests like female songwriters. Also, hip hop is the music of the day, not rock n roll, so it's not a great comparison with our generation (I'm in my 40s) in my opinion. It would be more comparable to one of us knowing the difference between Count Basie and Tommy Dorsey even though we grew up in the rock n' roll era. I will say, though, that the young adults I'm around all the time do seem to have less of a sense of cultural history than we did, but who knows if I'm interpreting things correctly. I think social media encourages a more present-focused cultural experience than television and the radio did. There are no reruns on social media, only the new. Lots of my college students don't even really have a good sense of what Occupy Wall Street was, for some context (although they do LOVE Friends, strangely enough). :)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
Full disclosure - I've never heard of most of the crap these kids are listening to today - so there!

U2 fan since 1983, age 47.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
It gets played on Radio 2 - MOR family station.  So today I heard David Bowie, Busted and Charlie Puth on the same station.  Plus Hendrix' version of All Along The Watchtower.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
I can't bring myself to watch the video. I'm afraid of the amount of cringe that will be present.

I had an experience in my college class where I learned that several fellow classmates had no idea what Rock 'N Roll was... I still have a bit of PTSD from that situation. So anything involving college kids and music of the past brings about a bit of fear for the state of my peers. I don't know how people my age can be so clueless... Did none of their parents listen to rock music?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
I can't bring myself to watch the video. I'm afraid of the amount of cringe that will be present.

I had an experience in my college class where I learned that several fellow classmates had no idea what Rock 'N Roll was... I still have a bit of PTSD from that situation. So anything involving college kids and music of the past brings about a bit of fear for the state of my peers. I don't know how people my age can be so clueless... Did none of their parents listen to rock music?

Wow, not knowing what rock music is. Now that is a shocking cultural shift.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »

Agreed. I am 18 and I was in complete shock. I thought they were joking at first, but when it became clear they weren't I was left literally speechless.

Offline Eamon696

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Not surprising.  Most people of my generation (21 years old here) know who U2 and/or Bono are, and probably would recognize a song or two, but the general awareness certainly is nowhere near what it probably was 10-20 years ago among a comparable age cohort.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »

I still don't understand why kids of today have to like or know rock music?   Every generation creates new sound and music, remember all that electronic pop stuff in the eighties, I try and forget that along with the fashion lol.  There is ongoing cultural shift.  Swing, dance hall, big band gave way to early rock n roll in the mid fifties, I am sure that was considered a shocking cultural shift at the time moving into the sixties lol.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:55 AM »

I still don't understand why kids of today have to like or know rock music?   Every generation creates new sound and music, remember all that electronic pop stuff in the eighties, I try and forget that along with the fashion lol.  There is ongoing cultural shift.  Swing, dance hall, big band gave way to early rock n roll in the mid fifties, I am sure that was considered a shocking cultural shift at the time moving into the sixties lol.
They don't have to like it. Believe me, I'm not some pretentious "all pop is trash" music guy. I listen to pop music along with rock and I don't mind if someone doesn't like a particular genre. I just think it's ridiculous to not know what rock is. It's not like it was some two-year fad that disappeared quickly and is largely forgotten about. It is an important part of American culture and not knowing what it is is simply ignorance. I mean, have they never heard of Elvis? Music changes, but how can they know nothing about the past?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »

First off, I'd just like to say that 80s music, movies and fashion, every style and genre is superior to anything that came before or after.

Now on to rock music. What I consider rock music started in the late 1950s/early 1960s. The Beatles were probably the perfect example of rock music and a rock band. But not only that, they set a lot of business and commercial standards for success for the entire music business regardless of genre. Rock music has been popular since the 1950s and was still very popular in many ways in the year 2000. Its only since that time that its started to lose its popularity. So to have a genre that has been so popular and dominant for over half a century not be known by someone is a shock. Its like someone all of sudden flipped a switch.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »

Rock music has been popular since the 1950s and was still very popular in many ways in the year 2000. Its only since that time that its started to lose its popularity. So to have a genre that has been so popular and dominant for over half a century not be known by someone is a shock. Its like someone all of sudden flipped a switch.

Exactly. That's why I was completely astounded.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
And it's not just that it's 50 years of massive cultural relevance, but those 50 years wrre over only 18 (or fewer!) years ago.

It's like not knowing about WWII... in 1964.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
And it's not just that it's 50 years of massive cultural relevance, but those 50 years wrre over only 18 (or fewer!) years ago.

It's like not knowing about WWII... in 1964.

Or not knowing about the moon landings in 1989.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »

First off, I'd just like to say that 80s music, movies and fashion, every style and genre is superior to anything that came before or after.

Haha I enjoyed it when I was living it but I look back at my permed big hair and shoulder pads and I still have a good laugh.