Author Topic: 31st anniversary of the filming of GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS video by Motley Crue!  (Read 1104 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
31st anniversary of the filming of GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS video by Motley Crue!

This video was filmed on April 13, 1987

Filmed on the night of April 13, 1987, Mötley Crüe shot their video for "Girls, Girls, Girls" with director Wayne Isham. With a strip club theme planned for the video, they originally wanted to use The Body Shop, but since that venue is all-nude and doesn’t serve alcohol, they end up shooting it at The Seventh Veil on the Sunset Strip. They left the club on their motorcycles to go to Wayne’s studio nearby to film inserts, stopping off at a Mexican restaurant for shooters and taquitos on the way.

Here is the video for Motley Crue's GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS below:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Single GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS was released on May 11, 1987. The album it came from with the same title was released May 15, 1987. The video premiere on MTV was probably late April or early May 1987.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Isn't this thread like celebrating your 1st STD?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Isn't this thread like celebrating your 1st STD?

This is a moment in music and video history. I don't know what an STD would have to do with it. Never had one myself. Is that how you feel about U2's Mysterious Ways video or their Discotheque video? I don't get it?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
A garbage video for a garbage song from a garbage album by a garbage band.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
A garbage video for a garbage song from a garbage album by a garbage band.

Well, if you so dislike it that much, why would you spend the time to even post a comment? If you don't like Motley Crue, why even bother?

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
Also the 814th anniversary of the fall of Constantinople in the fourth crusade.

I watched the video, and it has not aged well.  Bunch of fully-clothed men watching scantily-clad women strip down for them while the singer lists locations and body parts, ick.

I don't mean to say that you are a member of this group of people I'm about to mention, but I feel inclined to make this point: 

As a "millennial," I get pretty annoyed when older people disparage modern music for being "shallow" etc and then defend this and sh** like Cherry Pie as "real music." This as shallow as the stupidest of mumble/club rap, but it gets a pass from people because it has a guitar in it.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy

I actually have that on film. I'll upload it to youtube when I get the chance.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy

I watched the video, and it has not aged well.  Bunch of fully-clothed men watching scantily-clad women strip down for them while the singer lists locations and body parts, ick.

I would say its aged very well. That's exactly what you see in a strip club in 2018.

I don't mean to say that you are a member of this group of people I'm about to mention, but I feel inclined to make this point: 

As a "millennial," I get pretty annoyed when older people disparage modern music for being "shallow" etc and then defend this and sh** like Cherry Pie as "real music." This as shallow as the stupidest of mumble/club rap, but it gets a pass from people because it has a guitar in it.

Its not about the lyrics so much, but the music. This is rock music and has far more in common with U2 than your hip-hop/rap stuff today. I think Motley Crue is a great band. One of many great bands from the 1980s, the greatest decade of music.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
I mean, it looks really old now.  Also, I'm sure that strip clubs haven't changed much, it's just society has moved past treating women so poorly as this video does.

Yeah, it's rock music, so what?  It's not the tools but how you use them.  For me, this is the exact opposite of what U2 is.  U2 is emotion and atmosphere.  It's about revealing yourself without shame and celebrating honesty.  This is dull, horny nonsense.  It's not even fun, just trashy and gross.  The band is playing nothing memorable or special at all, same old soft metal noise, and the singer sucks, especially live.  Sorry to trash it so hard, but I really don't like Motley Crue at all.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
I mean, it looks really old now.  Also, I'm sure that strip clubs haven't changed much, it's just society has moved past treating women so poorly as this video does.

Yeah, it's rock music, so what?  It's not the tools but how you use them.  For me, this is the exact opposite of what U2 is.  U2 is emotion and atmosphere.  It's about revealing yourself without shame and celebrating honesty.  This is dull, horny nonsense.  It's not even fun, just trashy and gross.  The band is playing nothing memorable or special at all, same old soft metal noise, and the singer sucks, especially live.  Sorry to trash it so hard, but I really don't like Motley Crue at all.

Well, if you don't like Motley Crue, why did you click on the thread and comment? I don't bother to look at threads about bands I don't like or I am not interested in, let alone comment.

Oh, and strip clubs today are far more common and accepted by society than they were in 1987. The video itself is rated G and tame compared to what is widespread on the internet today. I also don't see anyone in the video being treated poorly in any way. Everyone seems to be having a good time. In 2018, there is nothing scandalous about this video at all. It may have shocked a small number of people in 1987, but definitely not in 2018 given what the average person does with their I-phone, facebook and twitter accounts.

I've not seen Motley Crue live, but I have seen Vince Neil live opening for Van Halen and I can assure you, he does a fantastic job singing live. The song, Girls Girls Girls is considered classic rock and still gets heavily played in strip clubs to this day despite the fact that more modern music has taken over at most of these clubs.

U2 also have had young women on stage and dancing in some of their videos. That all started with ZOO TV.

I'm going to listen to "Big Girls Are Best" by U2 now:

This video from last years Joshua Tree Tour is also great:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:29:51 AM by wons »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
I'm not a Motley Crue fan...  Well, it seems I didn’t mind the song "Dr. Feelgood," but I haven’t heard it in years…   And I'm fairly certain that I've never owned a Motley Crue song in any form:  digital, CD, cassette…  or even "taped" one of their songs off the radio, like we used to do…

…And I find it perplexing that when I’m looking up U2 articles online and read the comment sections and see all these people going out of their way to trash Bono.  I look at it like this:  I really, really don’t like Garth Brooks.  As such, I tend not to read articles about Garth Brooks.  But occasionally I do.  And when I do, I don’t feel compelled to write a comment in the comment section about how much I think Garth Brooks sucks. 

And that brings me to this thread…  I think we can all agree music is subjective.  Someone might like Motley Crue…  God bless ‘em…  And that’s fine.   Someone may not.  And that’s fine too. 

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
When I first clicked on it, I thought it was going to be a joke thread of some kind if I'm honest.  31st is a very specific anniversary.  Then I watched the video and had opinions to express.  Also, I don't think forums should be nothing but a love fest where people agree on everything.  Debate is fun.  There's nothing wrong with people who have conflicting opinions arguing their points.

I'm not sure "still gets heavily played in strip clubs" is a badge of honor.  When U2 had the dancing girl on stage and all of that stuff it was during ZooTV when they were parodying the ridiculous excesses of rock and roll.  Motley Crue are not being at all ironic or satirical.  Just as important, in the Mysterious Ways segment when Bono is reaching for the dancing girl, she has the power in the situation.  He is the fool at her mercy.  That's the difference and the reason the video is dated.  It isn't the visuals or the level of nudity; it's the power dynamic.  The men are in control, at one point actually calling the women "new toys."  If that were released today, it would be publicly eviscerated like the Blurred Lines video was. 

I haven't seen them live either, but I did see them on some festival thing on tv once, and boy were they bad.  Singer was totally off key, but the lead guitar player was pretty darn good and looked like a walking corpse, which worked pretty well with the whole metal aesthetic.  Still though, a band of 50 something men and they have scantily-clad 20 year old dancers on stage, creepy.  I tried looking up an old video of theirs, but I skipped to a random timecode into the middle of a speech about tying a woman to a four post bed and taking turns with her, so I turned it off.

Side note, Garth Brooks is pretty awful, but his song Ireland is f****** amazing.  It's almost impossible to find, no version on YouTube or any streaming service, but if you can find it, it'll blow you away.  Sounds nothing like his usual fake country crap.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
No, I get it.  I don't care for their sound or the people themselves, either.  But, a lot of people must get them, because they were one of the best selling bands for half a decade.  Just because I don't get them at all, or like the genre of rock they come from, doesn't mean I should dismiss them or other people liking them.

Unlike Garth Brooks, for example...  ;)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
And can I get extra points for off-handedly shrugging off Motley Crue and Garth Brooks in the same post, while defending the right for someone to like both?

Seriously though, if I remember, the beginning of the song "Dr. Feelgood" is pretty substantial.  Though, I should probably listen to it again.   

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
I grant you many extra points.  Use them wisely lol.

Ireland is a great song though. . . .