Author Topic: Bono & Bush in Dallas  (Read 1833 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Bono & Bush in Dallas
« on: April 15, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Bono & Bush in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »
He's usually good with his talking points but here he left a lot of dots unconnected for someone like me who is interested but not at all steeped in One or the issues.

I remember being initially unhappy with his relationship with W but pretty soon saw the importance. I liked what he said about people surprising you - jerks can be human, great people can be really disappointing. (Or worse - thinking of Aung San Suu Kyi)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
His whole point is that some issues are bigger than partisan politics. Looking at things from his outsider perspective of course.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
Yeah I got the bigger strokes but some of the specific thoughts he spoke assuming his audience already have the background on, and that wasn't the case for me.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
Bono will have a job on his hands trying to convince the UK people that their country needs to spend 0.7% of its national budget on overseas support.  I'm concerned that people here won't listen to him because he is who he is. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
Barbara Bush RIP.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
This comes at a rather poignant time when the current administration is seriously considering cutting the funding for AIDS related health programs. It brings awareness to those who consider siding with the current administration. That's why this publicity stunt by Bono and this former president is important. Everybody who remembers the late 80s / early 90s knows how much has been achieved through the years and that this would be foolish thing to waste, to say the least.

So no matter how much some might think Bono accepting this prize is controversial, Bono is very spot on here for this worthy cause.

Offline CaraRR

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
While cutting funding isn't ideal, at some point, the behavior of the people they've been trying to assist for all these years needs to change. If it hasn't changed, then it's time to reconsider funding.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This comes at a rather poignant time when the current administration is seriously considering cutting the funding for AIDS related health programs. It brings awareness to those who consider siding with the current administration. That's why this publicity stunt by Bono and this former president is important. Everybody who remembers the late 80s / early 90s knows how much has been achieved through the years and that this would be foolish thing to waste, to say the least.

So no matter how much some might think Bono accepting this prize is controversial, Bono is very spot on here for this worthy cause.

Thank you.........and to those who lost friends and love ones.   

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »
Good read.  Glad to see Bono and Bush together again.