Author Topic: If you love 13, sell me on it  (Read 835 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
If you love 13, sell me on it
« on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:05 AM »
The more specific, the better. Is there a meaning in the lyrics that really interest or move you? What timestamps in the song stand out and why?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: If you love 13, sell me on it
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:24:52 AM »
Personally, I don't but it has a chance to redeem itself live. 

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
I really love 13 and it's one of my favorites on the album for sure. What I like about it is especially the lyrics which I find very touching. I hear Bono's story in it... losing his mother and being overwhelmed with grief. This is his song to the kid out there who needs to hear that things can be alright even through the worst of times. A song for someone... someone like me.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
Still my favorite track on the new album.  I love Bono singing in his lower register.  I love the melody and the lyrics (listen closely to the second verse especially--that tender rendering of sorrow and confusion, the way Bono eschews words to finish the verse with some melodic mumbling since, after all, what else is there to say there?).  I love that it's addressed to his kids, the world-weary wisdom.  I love that the Song for Someone refrain is sung with restraint.  What puts it over the top for me is the "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be.  I've got a question for the child in you before it leaves..." section.  The way the music almost dies out, that simple tom beat.  The way Bono includes himself in the doubt and pain (not his usual preaching stance) with the "someone like me" line, repeated at the end. 

The song is so authentic and raw.  Bono passing on what he has to offer out of his own mortality and humanity.  Bono sings about love a lot.  This song is an expression of love, saturated with love's absolute vulnerability. 

I cried the first, second, and third time I listened to it.  It still moves me deeply.

To my ears, the best album closer since Love is Blindness. 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »
This is awesome stuff, thanks guys. I'm going to study the lyrics, reread your comments a few times, and have some good, patient listens. Will report back if it works. Likely may take a few days.

I know songs can come alive for me after doing absolutely nothing at first. Case in point: I love SOI but TIWYCRMN was a complete flop for me. Just a couple of days ago I listened to it - maybe not even on purpose, I don't remember. But suddenly I was like, what IS this? This is awesome! It brought me back to The Cure and all that angsty punk stuff from another time. It's like I literally couldn't hear it before, and it's weird because it does not seem at all like a hard song to like, and it's a sound and energy I have fond memories of from my youth. I love how he sings the line "College Square" - is it Joy Division that reminds me of? Can't remember, some of the songs I know were off unlabelled mix tapes so I don't know who is who.

Anyway, 13 sounds like it has a lot of love in it, and that's something I will treasure if I can get my ears adjusted.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still my favorite track on the new album.  I love Bono singing in his lower register.  I love the melody and the lyrics (listen closely to the second verse especially--that tender rendering of sorrow and confusion, the way Bono eschews words to finish the verse with some melodic mumbling since, after all, what else is there to say there?).  I love that it's addressed to his kids, the world-weary wisdom.  I love that the Song for Someone refrain is sung with restraint.  What puts it over the top for me is the "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be.  I've got a question for the child in you before it leaves..." section.  The way the music almost dies out, that simple tom beat.  The way Bono includes himself in the doubt and pain (not his usual preaching stance) with the "someone like me" line, repeated at the end. 

The song is so authentic and raw.  Bono passing on what he has to offer out of his own mortality and humanity.  Bono sings about love a lot.  This song is an expression of love, saturated with love's absolute vulnerability. 

I cried the first, second, and third time I listened to it.  It still moves me deeply.

To my ears, the best album closer since Love is Blindness.

Basically, what he said.  I have trouble with a lot of U2's 21st century output but this is beautiful.  Bono singing in a register that befits his age, genuine emotion, lovely production and as the guy above said, a superb album closer.  If this was U2's final album, I'd be happy with this as their swan song.

As an aside, I have to say that I probably like this song more as I am a parent of two kids and it sounds like a lovely sentiment to pass onto your kids.  Perhaps you have to be a parent to appreciate it fully?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
I am a parent, and I read through the lyrics a couple of days ago (hadn't bothered before - seem to need to feel at least a basic interest in a song first). So, yes, the lyrics are really something, as a parent, or even as a (mature) child listening as if they were coming from a parent. There's a warmth. And it feels like it extends to humanity as a whole, for the children inside all of us. And himself of course.

I just have to get used to the sound of it. I don't mind the verses but the SFS stuff feels not merely muted or minor-keyed, but - I don't know.

Still working on it.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »
It took longer than I thought but it's starting to happen for me.

I know most people are finding it not a great choice to end the performances on but I'm completely sold on it as a closer. It's such a wonderful performance. I could be halfway to tears, maybe.

I'm glad they have the balls to do what feels right to their art rather than caving when we don't get it.

And there is SO MUCH to get on this tour.

Go 13!

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
Nah, yeah, no Nah. Doesn't work for me. Finish with Love is Bigger and put this on the PA for the walk out.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
I know the world is dumb
But you don’t have to be

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »
Dude, are you tough enough to be kind?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
Larry's drumming is incredible on this. Understand but firm.

I meant to say understated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:09:02 AM by miryclay »

Saint22

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dude, are you tough enough to be kind?

Our assistant priest said something very similar to this line during a sermon during Holy Week, and I told her 'I was just listening to a song that contained that line before walking in the door tonight'. She's a casual U2 fan but hadn't heard the new album -- like most casual U2 fans.

There's powerful wisdom in that line. The coward is the one who has to act tough. The biggest bullies are cowards.