Author Topic: Thoughts on the new vinyl remasters?  (Read 590 times)

Offline jarsfan1977

• Babyface
Thoughts on the new vinyl remasters?
« on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
I'm curious about these -- especially POP.  This may be the closest we get to a remastered album.  I'm curious from anyone who's bought it what your thoughts are.  Any notable differences/changes?  Worth getting?

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
Re: Thoughts on the new vinyl remasters?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
The Pop one sounds cleaner.  I don't really know how to describe it, but the mixes don't sound as jumbled and there are minor sounds that I don't recall hearing on the original CD version and other things that seem like they come through more clearly.  If you're a fan of the album then I think it's definitely worth the purchase.  "Staring at the Sun" and "Gone" both stand out to me as sounded much better.

I've only listened through ATYCLB once on vinyl and haven't burned the downloadable files to a CD yet.  Sounds good, but I haven't listened enough to determine how much better it sounds (if any) than the original release.

I haven't listened to the Wide Awake one yet.  I do have the benefit of having the original vinyl release to compare it to at some point.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:55:25 AM by superdragtn »

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
Superdragtn:

You wrote, "...haven't burned the downloadable files to a CD yet...". What format are the downloadable files? This is my deciding factor in buying the vinyl. Someone from U2.com wrote to me and said they are mp3, but I've read around here and other posts that they are WAV. I am only interested in AIFF (mac) or WAV (mac/pc) for full CD quality.

I'm excited to hear Pop... I hope they didn't want swap out the original album mixes for the inferior later mixes (IMHO).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:50:38 PM by zooguitar »

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:01:00 AM »
They're .wav files and each song exceeds 40 mb.  The digital files sound good.

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:03:15 AM »
Also, Pop has the original versions of the songs.  There isn't any swapping out of the single versions or the ones that were remixed for the Best of 90-00. 

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »
Thanks Superdragtn! You have made my weekend!

I am an audiophile, and last year after buying a Dragonfly DAC and a pair of Status Audio CB-1 headphones, listening to the full size U2 remasters is like Thanksgiving dinner for your ears. I am going to buy the vinyl now; I'm sure a CD reissue (with B-sides) is on the way, but I can't wait!

The one fix I suppose I could have lived with is if they had swapped out Bono's chorus vocals for "Last Night On Earth" with the re-recorded ones he did for the single. His voice was much better by then and I don't think it would take away from the album version at all. But still happy to hear this underrated album got remastered warts and all.

Thanks again for responding with the helpful details.  :D

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »
No problem!  Happy to help.  The download cards are from The Sound of Vinyl which was the same download source that SOE's vinyl version used.  A positive is that it allows you to create an account so you can download the files across multiple devices if you choose to.

I also finally put the Wide Awake vinyls to a comparison over the weekend.  Honestly, I couldn't tell that much difference between the original release and the 2009 remaster that's on the recent vinyl.

After a lot of listening to different versions and mixes, I think the only one I'd swap out on the original Pop would be putting the single version of "If God Will Send His Angels" on the record.  The replacement of the skat singing with the actual lyrics adds so much to the song.  I've never found much value in the remixed versions of Pop songs on the Best of compilation.

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
The trove of b-sides, for which Pop seems to be the last album to offer a significant number of, are what has me holding out for a full reissue. I love this flawed album so much; so close to perfection with a level of daring that they haven't explored since. I personally swap out IGWSHA with "I'm Not Your Baby" to get the album they should have delivered. Making that swap, and then switching "Miami" and "Last Night On Earth" around re-create the "Nighttown" theme, with the album documenting a lost weekend that ends badly.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Can one purchase WAV format songs without the vinyl?

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
U2's approach to selling full size, digital versions of their albums is a little confounding. Obviously, buying the album from iTunes or Google Play is not ideal because those are compressed ACC or MP3 files which are distinctly inferior to the CD. U2.com sells FLAC versions of select albums, but that is also less than ideal because (1) FLAC is still slightly compressed compared to full size WAV/AIFF files and (2) FLAC files can't be played natively on Mac/iPhone, and need to be converted to another format to be played back on Apple devices.

If you go to HDtracks.com, which is a popular site to purchase full-size digital files, they offer Achtung Baby and SOE but no other albums for sale. Hopefully the rest of the catalog will be available there soon.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
Cool, thanks, I'll check that out. I wonder if those files work on iTunes/iPod. Or maybe I could go old school and like, buy the SOE CD and listen on a CD player.

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »
Yeah, you can purchase either WAV or AIFF format, both of which are playable in iTunes and can be loaded onto an iPhone/iPad.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »
I have HTDAAB and ATYCLB, and they sound GREAT. Super clean and quiet - everything in the mix is easy to hear and comes through clearly. Nothing is noticeably different - these seem like true remasters, not remixes like most big "remasters" are these days.

I have an original vinyl of POP, which sounds terrible, like they just stuck the CD master on a record - it's loud and boomy, and my turntable has a wimpy cartridge and distorts in spots. Going to pick up the remaster soon and see how it is, hoping it got the same treatment.

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
I've got an original copy of Pop on vinyl. I've not listened to it in a good while. If I get the new one, I'll compare the two and report back.

No, it isn't for sale. Neither is my original ZOOROPA.  8)