Author Topic: Are they surprised by which songs are popular?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
Are they surprised by which songs are popular?
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
I wonder, when they are recording an album, how accurate is their sense of which songs will be popular?

I feel like the songs they are pushing for SOE are the wrong ones - and I think other choices would be better received. Do they usually have a better sense for how the songs will land? Any known stories of surprises?

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Are they surprised by which songs are popular?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
I think it goes both ways. I think for The Joshua Tree and ATYCLB they absolutely chose the right singles. I think that for NLOTH they absolutely chose the wrong singles. The fact that The Edge still thinks that GOYB was the correct lead single, even as the rest of the band have realized it wasn't the right choice, baffles me a bit...

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it goes both ways. I think for The Joshua Tree and ATYCLB they absolutely chose the right singles. I think that for NLOTH they absolutely chose the wrong singles. The fact that The Edge still thinks that GOYB was the correct lead single, even as the rest of the band have realized it wasn't the right choice, baffles me a bit...

I agree. Magnificent needed to be the lead single from NLOTH, then Breathe as the second single, and maybe I'll Go Crazy as the third one. Get On Your Boots is better as a B-side, maybe a non-single album track at best.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »

I agree. Magnificent needed to be the lead single from NLOTH, then Breathe as the second single, and maybe I'll Go Crazy as the third one. Get On Your Boots is better as a B-side, maybe a non-single album track at best.

Personally I think it should have been NLOTH, then Magnificent, then Crazy or Boots. I think Boots could have been a single, but definitely not as a lead single, and especially not as a lead single after Elevation and Vertigo from the two previous albums. And Magnificent definitely should not have had that atrocious sheets-on-buildings video. Worst video they've ever made.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
I think they have made far more correct choices than mistakes when you look over their entire career. NLOTH is the clear example of them making the wrong choices but other than that I think they have chosen the correct singles most of the time although I also kinda agree on SOE. Also Ultraviolet and Gone should have been singles in the 90's ;D. The problem with SOE is also that there aren't really a big hit single on it so they probably felt that YTBTAM had the biggest chance of making it on the radio.

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
I think RFD, SOL, and LIBTAIIW have enough general appeal to be singles.

I think they were correct to go with GOOYOW but the prechorus is weak. If they just tweaked that it could be a solid song.

Who knows, maybe they'll start pushing RFD and SOL next month, for the summer season.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
Magnificent needed to be the lead single from NLOTH, then Breathe as the second single, and maybe I'll Go Crazy as the third one.
I agree.
BTW I'm totally in love with this beautiful album (which could easily have been titled "Magnificent" itself as it is that impressive), although it didn't have a lot of obvious singles on it apart from Magnificent and, to a lesser extent, Breathe (Breathe is a fantastic song full of energy but it contains lyrics that are a bit strange for a mainstream single. It's quite James Joyce-like in a way but possibly not to everyone's taste).
And as to the gorgeous atmospheric ballads, they probably wouldn't have come across too well on the radio, and yet they are such a huge part of the album's charm... I suppose not all great songs are radio-friendly, therefore predicting which song could go far on the radio is - and always will be -  a hit-and-miss affair at best.

I think they have made far more correct choices than mistakes when you look over their entire career. NLOTH is the clear example of them making the wrong choices but other than that I think they have chosen the correct singles most of the time although I also kinda agree on SOE. Also Ultraviolet and Gone should have been singles in the 90's ;D. The problem with SOE is also that there aren't really a big hit single on it so they probably felt that YTBTAM had the biggest chance of making it on the radio.
I totally agree with you as well.

Ultraviolet and Gone are quality songs indeed.

Concerning SOE, YTBTAM has worked well as a single in some countries, but not everywhere. Anyway, it's near to impossible to please everyone.
BTW I've lost track of the songs that have already been released as singles. Could someone remind me, please?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:45:23 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Are they surprised by which songs are popular?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »
YTBTAM worked pretty well as a single but GOOYOW and AS have not. I don’t know why they picked those songs, unless they were deliberately trying to be as political as possible. I don’t think they’re strong songs.

I think Red Flag Day is potentially the strongest single on the album. But then, what do I know? Not like I understand the modern pop marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:50:03 PM by Luzita »

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
YTBTAM worked pretty well as a single but GOOYOW and AS have not. I don’t know why they picked those songs, unless they were deliberately trying to be as political as possible. I don’t think they’re strong songs.

I think Red Flag Day is potentially the strongest single on the album. But then, what do I know? Not like I understand the modern pop marketplace.

It tough to say what will get the most airplay and give the album its best shot. I think they should at least at some point try "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way".

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »

American Soul hasn’t been released as a single. They’ve just released promotional stuff for it. The only two official singles so far are YTBTAM and GOOYOW, although it looks like LIBTAIW and LOH might be getting released in different markets before long.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
Perhaps the issue is them being surprised by the songs that are not popular eg the much maligned Boots. They do have a bit of a history of picking some surprising first singles which I think is largely to take people off guard which is fine eg Numb, Discotheque, The Fly. I think Vertigo was so successful that it led them into thinking Boots was like it but it just didn't work. I have liked much of the material on the last 3 albums but if I was to be critical it would be that they have lacked a killer lead single. Magnificent might have been the better choice but it still isn't really strong (same with Breathe - Fez would have been the brave choice). I'm not really sure there are lead singles anymore but given The Miracle was played at the Apple event it is seen as the lead single and I think it was chosen as the obvious rock song to play at that event rather than being the best song. But harder to play songs like EBW or The Troubles at that event. And The Best Thing gets such an array of reactions. It certainly doesn't do it for me but they did provide that video of The Blackout at the same time which I really like. 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
I would have LOVED for NLOTH to be released as a single but it just feels like that is so far away from being something that might have happened, judging by what gets picked for these types of showcase tracks nowdays. Magnificent would have fit the bill a bit more and I would have been happy with that. Boots, obviously, was a clunker.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
I would have LOVED for NLOTH to be released as a single but it just feels like that is so far away from being something that might have happened, judging by what gets picked for these types of showcase tracks nowdays. Magnificent would have fit the bill a bit more and I would have been happy with that. Boots, obviously, was a clunker.

NLOTH is naff. Not even close to Boots or Magnificent.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
They need their One Republic producer Ryan Tedder to advise them on what's mainstream hip. Landlady could have given Ed Sheeran a run for "hot radio single", but too late. Maybe in 20 years kids will discover Landlady, the same way kids discovered Sgt Pepper's Lonely hc.

Never been more embarrassed for this band with Boots and Miracle of Joey and their aged ar**s rocking out in the music video. Vertigo video was the last time they could pull "rockers" off.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
Boots never should have even made the album, let alone a single.  It's just a Vertigo rehash.  At least I know I have a song to go to the restroom during when it's in the set list. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:00:08 AM by jgrooms »