Author Topic: Are they surprised by which songs are popular?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: Are they surprised by which songs are popular?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would have LOVED for NLOTH to be released as a single but it just feels like that is so far away from being something that might have happened, judging by what gets picked for these types of showcase tracks nowdays. Magnificent would have fit the bill a bit more and I would have been happy with that. Boots, obviously, was a clunker.

NLOTH is naff. Not even close to Boots or Magnificent.

What do you mean? It's worse than Boots? ...eh, wha? Sure, Magnificent is probably my favourtie song on the album, I just think NLOTH would have been a refreshing single and something unique yet representative of the album.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
Boots never should have even made the album, let alone a single.  It's just a Vertigo rehash.  At least I know I have a song to go to the restroom during when it's in the set list.

There's a prominent guitar riff... therefore, it's a Vertigo rehash.  :o

The problem with SOE is also that there aren't really a big hit single on it so they probably felt that YTBTAM had the biggest chance of making it on the radio.

To answer the original question, I think any musician can be surprised on what songs register with the average listener or hard-core fan. Sometimes you might have an idea on what it is, then find out it's something completely different that either stands out on an initial listen or over time. Safe to say most, if not all, songs out there have their fans though.

Singles-wise... I've already heard The Best Thing on various radio stations a LOT more than I've heard singles off the prior two albums before that. Boots, I maybe heard once. Magnificent, maybe twice. Never heard Crazy Tonight or The Miracle. Every Breaking Wave was played once on a local AAA station and Song for Someone got a few plays on a Hot AC station the summer afterward.

Overall, I think it was probably the right call to go with The Best Thing. It seemed to get consistent plays on Hot AC and AAA stations, which is kind of their audience this day anyway. Having a decent vocal hook and the G-A-D-Bm progression going for it also makes the chorus a bit of an earworm, which definitely helps.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »
bands must know when they're onto magic with a song.  it must be the little gems of songs that surprise bands that catch on.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
Boots never should have even made the album, let alone a single.  It's just a Vertigo rehash.  At least I know I have a song to go to the restroom during when it's in the set list.

The problem with SOE is also that there aren't really a big hit single on it so they probably felt that YTBTAM had the biggest chance of making it on the radio.

To answer the original question, I think any musician can be surprised on what songs register with the average listener or hard-core fan. Sometimes you might have an idea on what it is, then find out it's something completely different that either stands out on an initial listen or over time. Safe to say most, if not all, songs out there have their fans though.

Singles-wise... I've already heard The Best Thing on various radio stations a LOT more than I've heard singles off the prior two albums before that. Boots, I maybe heard once. Magnificent, maybe twice. Never heard Crazy Tonight or The Miracle. Every Breaking Wave was played once on a local AAA station and Song for Someone got a few plays on a Hot AC station the summer afterward.

Overall, I think it was probably the right call to go with The Best Thing. It seemed to get consistent plays on Hot AC and AAA stations, which is kind of their audience this day anyway. Having a decent vocal hook and the G-A-D-Bm progression going for it also makes the chorus a bit of an earworm, which definitely helps.

That's a really interesting comment. I live in a radio desert so I have no idea what's being played or has been played. So to hear that YTBTAM seems to be getting radio attention, at least compared to anything on previous albums, is interesting. The reception to that song by fans seems "meh" (including me - it's not a terrible tune by any stretch to me, but a weak part of the album imho) but maybe it does what it's supposed to - provide a little hook for casual listeners.

I still think Summer of Love could do the same. It's not my favorite track but it's very easy to listen to, catchy, relevant to our times. And imho a better tune than Best Thing. I hope it makes the rounds this summer.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
They need their One Republic producer Ryan Tedder to advise them on what's mainstream hip. Landlady could have given Ed Sheeran a run for "hot radio single", but too late. Maybe in 20 years kids will discover Landlady, the same way kids discovered Sgt Pepper's Lonely hc.

Never been more embarrassed for this band with Boots and Miracle of Joey and their aged ar**s rocking out in the music video. Vertigo video was the last time they could pull "rockers" off.

Boots was/is complete pants. But Miracle Of Joey...I thought was actually fantastic as a lead tune.

Subjective context for me, especially as it was weeks before the possibility - "possibility" - of an independent Scotland:

"I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred
Heard the song that made some sense out of the world
Everything I ever lost now has been returned
The most beautiful sound I'd ever heard..."

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »

Its still on the Golds Gym network (heard it today), which continuously runs videos on some of their screens and over the sound system.    I was at a Planet Fitness a couple of weeks ago and it was on their network as well.   

Saint22

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
We are only 5 or so years removed from the U2:22 song vote. There's no reason for them to be surprised. Adam reviewed and commented on the list and mentioned that some of the voting surprised him. Edge is aware of the some of the online rumblings.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
We are only 5 or so years removed from the U2:22 song vote. There's no reason for them to be surprised. Adam reviewed and commented on the list and mentioned that some of the voting surprised him. Edge is aware of the some of the online rumblings.

What is this vote you speak of? What exactly did Adam and Edge say about it?

Offline SpringStep

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »

After 360, they had a fan vote for the songs that would make up the U222 live CD.  Its no surprise the major hits made the cut (Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby), and the rest of the discard went to Edge's Picks: NLOTH especially (outside of Magnificent)

Saint22

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

After 360, they had a fan vote for the songs that would make up the U222 live CD.  Its no surprise the major hits made the cut (Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby), and the rest of the discard went to Edge's Picks: NLOTH especially (outside of Magnificent)

Major hits like Stay, Bad, All I Want Is You, UnFire and Zooropa? Some of U2's biggest songs didn't make the cut and were on Edge's compilation, including Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow and Vertigo, while Desire, Pride and Angel of Harlem didn't make either list.

That was a really puzzling comment.

Offline SpringStep

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »

Major hits like Stay, Bad, All I Want Is You, UnFire and Zooropa? Some of U2's biggest songs didn't make the cut and were on Edge's compilation, including Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow and Vertigo, while Desire, Pride and Angel of Harlem didn't make either list.

Fair point.  Desire, Pride and Angel did make it as part of the digital download of Edge's Picks, so yes and no they were included.  Perhaps the viewpoint I have is like most of us here.  I would rather hear (and vote) Stay over Pride, and Bad over Angel of Harlem.  I suppose it depends on your view as a hit.

Saint22

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »

Fair point.  Desire, Pride and Angel did make it as part of the digital download of Edge's Picks, so yes and no they were included.  Perhaps the viewpoint I have is like most of us here.  I would rather hear (and vote) Stay over Pride, and Bad over Angel of Harlem.  I suppose it depends on your view as a hit.

I like those songs better too, but it goes to show you what we in the hardcore fan community want to hear as opposed to what the casual concert goer wants to hear, and the tightrope the band has to walk between sending 'us' home happy and 'them' home happy.

What frustrates me is when acts -- Bruce Springsteen is really bad about this -- latch onto certain songs that hardcore fans have heard a million times, and casual fans couldn't care less about. Play hits. Play rarities. Play new material. Play fan-favorites. But when you have a 40-year history and are touring less and less, you have to make sure every setlist choice is thoughtful and serves a purpose.

IMO, if a song doesn't please hardcore fans, casual fans or the band itself, it doesn't belong in the set.