Author Topic: The U2 AR app is available for download for iOS and Android  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: The U2 AR app is available for download for iOS and Android
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »
Part of me thinks this is a neat idea.

The other part of me is cursing the fact that U2 are once again encouraging people to hold up their phones at the concert. Sure, Iíll snap some pics, but people literally watch the whole show through their phones, and provide a constant distraction/impaired viewing for folks around them. I suppose this is a lost cause at this point, but still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bet audience will legit complain about the battery drain when we're a few concerts in.

So glad it's FREE and on Android. If Steve Jobs (seems more tyrannical) was still running the ship, it might have been an itunes only app. We know the band are stil associated with apple.

I had a cheap flip but bought myself a decent smartphone for $133 three months ago. App works ok. But sometimes Bono doesn't appear.

Go comment/review the app on play store or itunes. The band might track the reviews (especially in itunes) for the first few days of this novel technology they're excited to show.

I cannot believe LIAWHL will be opener. Casuals don't know this song!!! But glad they dare to play soe tracks instead of warhorses to open.

do they know modern cell folks want video of the show, not photos? Tech is probably not there to save video. Willie is so intelligent.

I never saw the waterfall. Where can I see the waterfall?

Thanks... All my scattered thoughts.

I wouldnít mind LIAWHL as the opener, now that I think about it. Itís no more obscure than Zoo Station or Mofo was, and I like it way better as an opener than The Miracle, which again seemed to be trying too hard. Itís a nice, moody, short tune, which can easily transition to a more upbeat second song.

Online laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
I was not a fan of LIAWHL originally, and while I still think the chorus is way too repetitive, it has really grown on me.

I think when I hear it coming out of the speakers I'm going to be screaming my head off.

Then again, I haven't seen them since 1992, so that may be a rather significant factor.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »
It's kinda a re hash to ZooTV. The intro 'I could of lost you' used a vocoder. Listen at the very beginning:

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
I was not a fan of LIAWHL originally, and while I still think the chorus is way too repetitive, it has really grown on me.

I think when I hear it coming out of the speakers I'm going to be screaming my head off.

Then again, I haven't seen them since 1992, so that may be a rather significant factor.

This is a pretty surprisingly lengthy absence from their shows.  Not a fan of their material up until now, or did they just not come to your neck of the woods?

Online laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
My parents took me to Zoo TV - my mom to the first N American leg, my dad to the second. Bless them.

There's no reason at all I didn't go to PopMart except I guess it just didn't occur to me. I was still a teen and not that independently minded I guess.

Since then, various factors - became disabled, money tight, hours from any venue, took a hiatus from 2005 to 2017 because my husband doesn't like them and I chose to lock them inside my heart rather than deal with that. A few months ago I said screw that and am catching up. Stupidly bought Boston 2 tix, no idea how I'm going to get there, both excited and anxious and feeling like maybe it's all going to slip through my fingers.

Well, that was probably more personal than you were expecting.

I should have gone to PopMart. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

Online laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
In a way, it's like I've never really seen them. When my mom took me, I stood there slack jawed the entire show. I probably didn't even look like I enjoyed myself. It was like being hit with a two by four. It was all too much - the combo of actually seeing them live (and it never occurred to me to even ask - my parents got the tix entirely on their own initiative) combined with it being, you know, Zoo TV. It would have been better to tart with TUF or something (I was too young though and didn't even know them then).

5 months later my Dad drove me like 12 hours each way to see them again. I got a bit more out of that - heck, I even understtod who the opening band was (Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcracy, have the album) whereas I only last week discovered I had apparently seen The Pixies and never knew it, lol. But it was all still just a looooot.

PopMart probably would have been the same in terms of overwhelm. I guess that's one reason people go multiple nights, even in a row.

I think I could maybe handle it better this time. Of course now I'm starting to wish I were going twice. And GA the second time. That would make my year. (Yeah, I know, obviously don't have much of a life).

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 07:27:37 AM »
Is anyone else not going to fool with this? Unless I hear really exceptional things, I am skipping this app for my show in Nashville. My phone battery already runs down faster than it should.

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
Is anyone else not going to fool with this? Unless I hear really exceptional things, I am skipping this app for my show in Nashville. My phone battery already runs down faster than it should.

I'm not going to bother, especially because it's for only one song and also because I've seen some pictures of what it will look like and I'm not overly impressed.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »
We get pics and video of all the app can do tonight. That's all I need. Also, no ei shows for me. By 3 shows in, we get to see everything about the app recorded online.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
I'm going to skip installing this - there will be enough going on with the screens above the walkway without faffing about looking at a phone at the same time, and the battery on my phone runs down quick enough as it is.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
Part of me thinks this is a neat idea.

The other part of me is cursing the fact that U2 are once again encouraging people to hold up their phones at the concert. Sure, Iíll snap some pics, but people literally watch the whole show through their phones, and provide a constant distraction/impaired viewing for folks around them. I suppose this is a lost cause at this point, but still.

There's a difference between encouraging them and understanding that they can't stop them. Best to make the best of a bad situation than just start screaming at the sun.

I will say the ice burg was a little lame, but the sprites flying around the arena were cool.