Author Topic: Catholic Guilt & U2  (Read 1168 times)

Offline julez728

• Stateless
Re: Catholic Guilt & U2
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
Catholic guilt isn't limited to Irish Catholics, at least in my personal experience.  It existed when I was growing up in the Catholic church where there was more of a Polish Catholic population.  I just think it depends how one is raised.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't think that Bono was a catholic. Although his father was a Catholic, wasn't his mother a Protestant and she raised him as such?  I got the feeling that although Bono is a Christian he doesn't align himself to specific religions.
the schools in Ireland are largely Catholic so he Iím sure got some Catholic teaching

All of U2 went to a non-denominational Secondary School.
um yeah the school they met at?
I am sure they all did their elementary years elsewhere

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
I seem to remember that Bono was kicked out of Catholic school for throwing something at his teacher--dog sh**?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
ICG works like this. Yer ma is bedridden and the priest have been called for last rites. If decide to leave for the Carribean you would get a load of ICG from your family and neighbours.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 07:10:05 AM »
ICG works like this. Yer ma is bedridden and the priest have been called for last rites. If decide to leave for the Carribean you would get a load of ICG from your family and neighbours.

You'd get a load of ICG from me first.

My Irish family member would work it like, grandchildren should be priest/nun if they love her, since she would have a better shot at heaven. She mostly wielded the guilt but you could sometimes see it driving her.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »
Many times it is deliberately overreaching. Aim long and be satisfied with medium gains. It is about social control btw but some people need to be told.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »
I didn't think that Bono was a catholic. Although his father was a Catholic, wasn't his mother a Protestant and she raised him as such?  I got the feeling that although Bono is a Christian he doesn't align himself to specific religions.
the schools in Ireland are largely Catholic so he Iím sure got some Catholic teaching

All of U2 went to a non-denominational Secondary School.
um yeah the school they met at?
I am sure they all did their elementary years elsewhere

Elementary in Ireland is called National school. The funny thing about IGC in Ireland in 2018 is that for every one advocating it there seems to be a comedian or satirist tearing it down. It seems every public commentator has doubled down.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 03:59:22 PM »
I seem to remember that Bono was kicked out of Catholic school for throwing something at his teacher--dog sh**?
I got kicked out too!

Bono is my spirt animal!

I also sold cowboy boots!

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Your avatar is Princess Leia.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
So what did you get kicked out for, JT?  I sense a story there  :o

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »
So what did you get kicked out for, JT?  I sense a story there  :o
I was in kindergarten and Sr Lillian the principle  was wacking our hands with a ruler for being late, we took a school bus.  So we had zero control over being late.  I said I donít think Jesus would ageee with this.  She called my mom and said Iím not sure Julie is a good fit for this school. Rebel at 5!

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »
Lol!  You were right, too.  Poor kid!

Saint22

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
I think the concept of 'Catholic Guilt' is rooted in the idea that since all of us are sinners, all of us helped crucify Jesus. I've head the phrase 'every time you sin, that cross gets a little heavier'. I think that's the concept behind Catholic guilt, especially as it pertains to sexuality. According to the Roman Church, any sex act outside of the desire for a man and a woman to create a child is in and of itself a sin. So, yeah, there's going to be a lot guilt associated with being a teenager who is raised in such a setting.

Also, Catholic = Roman Catholic Church. Saying 'catholic' with a small c can refer to the Anglican communion, such as Church of Ireland (Bono) and the Episcopal Church (me). 

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
i'm pretty sure Bono is very familiar with Catholic guilt being Irish and having a Catholic father, even if he was raised Protestant over Catholicism.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
I think the concept of 'Catholic Guilt' is rooted in the idea that since all of us are sinners, all of us helped crucify Jesus. I've head the phrase 'every time you sin, that cross gets a little heavier'. I think that's the concept behind Catholic guilt, especially as it pertains to sexuality. According to the Roman Church, any sex act outside of the desire for a man and a woman to create a child is in and of itself a sin. So, yeah, there's going to be a lot guilt associated with being a teenager who is raised in such a setting.

Also, Catholic = Roman Catholic Church. Saying 'catholic' with a small c can refer to the Anglican communion, such as Church of Ireland (Bono) and the Episcopal Church (me). 

All ideals people look aspire to but even most church leaders acknowledge human weakness.