Author Topic: Catholic Guilt & U2  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
Re: Catholic Guilt & U2
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the concept of 'Catholic Guilt' is rooted in the idea that since all of us are sinners, all of us helped crucify Jesus. I've head the phrase 'every time you sin, that cross gets a little heavier'. I think that's the concept behind Catholic guilt, especially as it pertains to sexuality. According to the Roman Church, any sex act outside of the desire for a man and a woman to create a child is in and of itself a sin. So, yeah, there's going to be a lot guilt associated with being a teenager who is raised in such a setting.

Also, Catholic = Roman Catholic Church. Saying 'catholic' with a small c can refer to the Anglican communion, such as Church of Ireland (Bono) and the Episcopal Church (me). 

All ideals people look aspire to but even most church leaders acknowledge human weakness.

These days, yes. But not so long ago? That wasn’t the case. My 90-year-old Evaneglical Grandmother will tell you real quick sin is a choice and you don’t have to do it.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »
She's right. But no one can live up to impossible standards.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 05:30:32 AM »
She's right. But no one can live up to impossible standards.
Sin is a rather subjective concept and flows with the day and age.  Think back to not so long ago when a number of lifestyle choices were considered sinful and even punishable by imprisonment whereas today they are considered normal.  Different cultures also have different concepts of what is right and wrong.  Within the Catholic church some of their so called leaders haven't exactly lived by what they preached.  The concept of treating others and the earth with respect seems to be a fairly simple concept but in reality seems to be anything but.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:32:04 AM by summerholly »

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »
Your avatar is Princess Leia.
yes she is also my spirit animal