Author Topic: LIBTAIIW Video  (Read 3300 times)

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
LIBTAIIW Video
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »
2nd Favorite song on SOE now has a bad taste in my mouth after seeing the music video. Can we have a music video that does not perpetuate tenuous issues openly? Thoughts?

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
Re: LIBTAIIW Video
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
I think it's a really good video, bit slow and doesn't have a story to follow, but it's got a good message and the participants look like they're having fun.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2nd Favorite song on SOE now has a bad taste in my mouth after seeing the music video. Can we have a music video that does not perpetuate tenuous issues openly? Thoughts?

Like the video, the location, the actors but I too am tiring of agenda driven content in movies, books etc. But that's what art is maybe?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
Issues are meant to be discussed openly.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »
I think the video is fine, but not really something I'd watch again. 

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »

Like the video, the location, the actors but I too am tiring of agenda driven content in movies, books etc. But that's what art is maybe?

I found it boring, to be honest.  It just got so repetitive, thematically speaking.  It's nothing I see myself going back to watch.

Regarding agenda-driven content, I have to agree that I greatly prefer the videos that are either performance-based or an actual artistic interpretation where the viewer has many ways to interpret the film for themselves.  This video, and the animated one for Get Out Of Your Own Way, both somewhat destroyed my mind's interpretation of what the song was about, and that's a loss.  Unless a song is super-clearly about a topic (like Pride), I hate being told, "this is what the song is about".  It's what the worst English teachers do with poetry, and it's not what video-makers should be doing with music.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
A video is only an interpretation of the song by one person. American Soul NY is the best SOE vid.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:24:54 PM »
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?
The song is written so well that it can be interpreted in many ways.  LIBTAIIW can likewise be interpreted differently by many listeners.

Regarding the videos, those produced for One weren't shouting any obvious angle in particular.  They didn't seem forced.  The LIBTAIIW video is different.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
The song is written so well that it can be interpreted in many ways.  LIBTAIIW can likewise be interpreted differently by many listeners.

Regarding the videos, those produced for One weren't shouting any obvious angle in particular.  They didn't seem forced.  The LIBTAIIW video is different.

Bono has said that One is about a gay man trying to reconcile with his homophobic father. That hasnít prevented the song from taking on much wider topics. There is nothing about Love Is Bigger that changes that. And U2 did an entire video and photo shoot for One in drag. Did that not have an obvious angle?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

Bono has said that One is about a gay man trying to reconcile with his homophobic father. That hasnít prevented the song from taking on much wider topics. There is nothing about Love Is Bigger that changes that. And U2 did an entire video and photo shoot for One in drag. Did that not have an obvious angle?

You act like you never had love and you want me to go without.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »
Why can't they show a little video of the band playing the song? Or at least have the band make a brief appearance like they did in the All I Want Is You Video.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Why can't they show a little video of the band playing the song? Or at least have the band make a brief appearance like they did in the All I Want Is You Video.

I read somewhere where Edge said now that they are older they trust the Director more so in the past. I'll admit a video with no band appearance can be different.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
This is probably my favorite song on the album, but the video has left a bad taste in my mouth. Of course it is great to represent the LGBT community, but it seems like they are the only ones represented in this video, is it too much to ask as a heterosexual guy to have a boy and girl somewhere in that video? Plus just at the current point in political times, it seems the video is more a political video rather than representing the song itself which should be all types of love, like the best thing video actually. Let's hope it's like 1 and we get another video in a bar somewhere along the way. Amd either way... pscyhed on the 5 shows I'm going to.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:52:25 PM by U2alwaysforever »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »

Possibly leads to a direction but I wouldn't say definitive understanding of the song.