Author Topic: LIBTAIIW Video  (Read 4181 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: LIBTAIIW Video
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is probably my favorite song on the album, but the video has left a bad taste in my mouth. Of course it is great to represent the LGBT community, but it seems like they are the only ones represented in this video, is it too much to ask as a heterosexual guy to have a boy and girl somewhere in that video? Plus just at the current point in political times, it seems the video is more a political video rather than representing the song itself which should be all types of love, like the best thing video actually. Let's hope it's like 1 and we get another video in a bar somewhere along the way. Amd either way... pscyhed on the 5 shows I'm going to.

The cover is a boy and a girl.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
It may be true that many of the causes U2 championed in the 80's and 90's needed to be done at the time and possibly even again during the Trump era. But I think much of what they have advocated for has been digested and absorbed by millennials.

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?
The song is written so well that it can be interpreted in many ways.  LIBTAIIW can likewise be interpreted differently by many listeners.

Regarding the videos, those produced for One weren't shouting any obvious angle in particular.  They didn't seem forced.  The LIBTAIIW video is different.

Bono has said that One is about a gay man trying to reconcile with his homophobic father. That hasnít prevented the song from taking on much wider topics. There is nothing about Love Is Bigger that changes that. And U2 did an entire video and photo shoot for One in drag. Did that not have an obvious angle?

It only had an obvious angle IF the viewer knows about the quote, otherwise the imagery of U2 dressed as women merely entices the viewer to think about what is being presented.  A viewer can watch the video and come away with a variety of interpretations.  This is nearly impossible with LIBTAIIW: there's pretty much only one way to interpret what is being said.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:55 PM »
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?
The song is written so well that it can be interpreted in many ways.  LIBTAIIW can likewise be interpreted differently by many listeners.

Regarding the videos, those produced for One weren't shouting any obvious angle in particular.  They didn't seem forced.  The LIBTAIIW video is different.

Bono has said that One is about a gay man trying to reconcile with his homophobic father. That hasnít prevented the song from taking on much wider topics. There is nothing about Love Is Bigger that changes that. And U2 did an entire video and photo shoot for One in drag. Did that not have an obvious angle?

It only had an obvious angle IF the viewer knows about the quote, otherwise the imagery of U2 dressed as women merely entices the viewer to think about what is being presented.  A viewer can watch the video and come away with a variety of interpretations.  This is nearly impossible with LIBTAIIW: there's pretty much only one way to interpret what is being said.

So Stuck In A Moment is only about being hit by a car or American football, because the music video is the only thing that can inform the meaning of a song. Gotcha.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »
It may be true that many of the causes U2 championed in the 80's and 90's needed to be done at the time and possibly even again during the Trump era. But I think much of what they have advocated for has been digested and absorbed by millennials.

ďIn the Trump eraĒ.

Trump is more pro-gay than Hillary ever was.

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:53 PM »

So Stuck In A Moment is only about being hit by a car or American football, because the music video is the only thing that can inform the meaning of a song. Gotcha.

Any reasonable viewer of the videos you cite understands that those scenes being played out are visual metaphors for the song.  This is not the case with the LIBTAIIW video.  There is nothing metaphorical about it.

Thanks, though, for abandoning reasonable conversation for sarcasm and possible deliberate obtuseness.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 12:25:21 AM »

Any reasonable viewer of the videos you cite understands that those scenes being played out are visual metaphors for the song.  This is not the case with the LIBTAIIW video.  There is nothing metaphorical about it.

Thanks, though, for abandoning reasonable conversation for sarcasm and possible deliberate obtuseness.

Well said George.

I'm fine with U2 feeling that this song was a good opportunity to represent the LGBT community, however the video doesn't do much for me at all. Music videos are a form of art themselves and I like them when they use visual metaphors to tell a story or inconspicuously make political social commentary that can be interpreted a number of various of ways. This video is simply just a collection of transgender, homosexual youths acting rather uncomfortably and feigning happiness. Which is fine. But yeah I won't watch it again because it's one note and apart from the flamboyant characters, rather dreary...which is unfortunate for a song that I consider to be so all-inclusive and uplifting. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:28:15 AM by Clarky »

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 12:39:22 AM »
The song is supposed to be a celebration of love. You will overcome any obstacles that come your way if you really love the path that you want to follow. The path is made by you and you have the right to choose any path even if it is an unconventional one. And it is true that some paths have more obstacles than others.

So, according to my opinion, a video about gay teenagers that are happy and are being themselves, having trust in love, even though they have in front of them a life full of obstacles because of the unconventional path they have chosen, matches the theme of the song.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:42:27 AM »
Ugh... that video was pure cringe to watch.

Offline Voldemar

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
Dumb video - nothing new, special or remarkable. Will never watch it again.

They'd better make an animated lyric video  8)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 02:24:19 AM »

Alrighty, I've thought through every single other non-live performance U2 video and there's not a single one I can come up with that is literal. Not one. Not water patterns Staring At The Sun or sheets coming off buildings Magnificent or we're in a circus All I Want Is You or my fingers have hands Even Better Than The Real Thing. None of them have been literal that I can think of, and so I take the Love Is Bigger video as being a specific instance of conveyance of a larger message. Just like the rest of them. No U2 music video is a literal expression of what the song is about, but they all include elements to frame the song. This one included.

I'll say it upfront: I'm gay. One of the things that has interested me about U2 is that they've been cool with people like me, even when many other rock bands (and their fans) haven't been. I've just sat back and thought about it and I believe U2 have released 81 music videos. Two, just two, have dealt with ideas of sexuality that are potentially not heterosexual. Mind you, I have never seen frustration when a U2 video shows up with a man and a woman kissing. Never seen frustration with that. But one, just one clearly gay video shows up in their 40+ year career and people start expressing frustrations that it has ruined the song for them.

They can't get past the idea that no U2 video that isn't a performance video has ever been literal, not one. They can't get past the idea that 3% of U2's music videos are about non-heterosexuals. I just hear frustration about what they don't like, rather than letting everyone have their corner. Not every U2 product has to appeal to everyone. But just because they release something that has a music video that doesn't talk to me doesn't mean the song has no value to me. It may just not be aimed at me, and that's ok. I guarantee you this video was aimed squarely at me, because I felt it. Hard.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:30:35 AM by ian ryan »

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 05:49:49 AM »

Alrighty, I've thought through every single other non-live performance U2 video and there's not a single one I can come up with that is literal. Not one. Not water patterns Staring At The Sun or sheets coming off buildings Magnificent or we're in a circus All I Want Is You or my fingers have hands Even Better Than The Real Thing. None of them have been literal that I can think of, and so I take the Love Is Bigger video as being a specific instance of conveyance of a larger message. Just like the rest of them. No U2 music video is a literal expression of what the song is about, but they all include elements to frame the song. This one included.

I'll say it upfront: I'm gay. One of the things that has interested me about U2 is that they've been cool with people like me, even when many other rock bands (and their fans) haven't been. I've just sat back and thought about it and I believe U2 have released 81 music videos. Two, just two, have dealt with ideas of sexuality that are potentially not heterosexual. Mind you, I have never seen frustration when a U2 video shows up with a man and a woman kissing. Never seen frustration with that. But one, just one clearly gay video shows up in their 40+ year career and people start expressing frustrations that it has ruined the song for them.

They can't get past the idea that no U2 video that isn't a performance video has ever been literal, not one. They can't get past the idea that 3% of U2's music videos are about non-heterosexuals. I just hear frustration about what they don't like, rather than letting everyone have their corner. Not every U2 product has to appeal to everyone. But just because they release something that has a music video that doesn't talk to me doesn't mean the song has no value to me. It may just not be aimed at me, and that's ok. I guarantee you this video was aimed squarely at me, because I felt it. Hard.

+1

I haven't seen the video yet and maybe it's not great but these complaints bring me right back to the 1990s: "It's fine they're gay but do they have to be so in your face??" Two shows on TV (out of how many) have a gay character and suddenly "does absolutely everything have to be about being gay? Can't we have a straight couple once in a while?"

Hate the video if you think the production is clumsy but to meet the plea of love being bigger than anything in it's way with complaints of does it have to be about THAT? seems to completely ignore what is frankly Bono's sole point his entire career, and one that surely must carry some importance to his fans: love.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »

+1

I haven't seen the video yet and maybe it's not great but these complaints bring me right back to the 1990s: "It's fine they're gay but do they have to be so in your face??" Two shows on TV (out of how many) have a gay character and suddenly "does absolutely everything have to be about being gay? Can't we have a straight couple once in a while?"

Hate the video if you think the production is clumsy but to meet the plea of love being bigger than anything in it's way with complaints of does it have to be about THAT? seems to completely ignore what is frankly Bono's sole point his entire career, and one that surely must carry some importance to his fans: love.

I'm glad the video was meaningful to you.  It's okay, I guess.  As always, their hearts are firmly in the right place, even if the execution is somewhat clumsy.  Sure beats those animation videos which actually detracted from the songs for me.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
The song is supposed to be a celebration of love. You will overcome any obstacles that come your way if you really love the path that you want to follow. The path is made by you and you have the right to choose any path even if it is an unconventional one. And it is true that some paths have more obstacles than others.

So, according to my opinion, a video about gay teenagers that are happy and are being themselves, having trust in love, even though they have in front of them a life full of obstacles because of the unconventional path they have chosen, matches the theme of the song.

Agreed.  Has anyone not spotted the couple where she has a Barbie top on and he's wearing Adidas tracksuit bottoms?  They might not be gay and they are wearing quite conventional clothing.

It's just another interpretation of Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way.  They could have done a video documenting terminally ill people dying at home or in hospice with their families around them and it we would still be hearing the same outcries of 'bad taste'.  Because we don't know the stories behind these people in the video and we come to our own conclusions.  It could be that families are torn apart over these kind of issues but that love prevails.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:40:14 AM by 73October »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »

ďIn the Trump eraĒ.

Trump is more pro-gay than Hillary ever was.

Possibly true. But Edge has said that they toured JT to honor the themes of that album for 2017. Actually some speculate that HRC's pandering to 'identity politics' which was actually lost her the election.