Author Topic: LIBTAIIW Video  (Read 2972 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Saint Louis, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: LIBTAIIW Video
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing that post Ian. I'm sure most fans on this forum would actually love to have the experience you have had with a U2 song or any other media. I hope the video was tastefully done and does justice to your community.

When I looked back at the Berlin One video it does seem like an attempt for U2 to bring their audience to a new place of understanding. Our hearts are in the right place.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2018, 06:46:36 AM »
Some nice framing, it's very well photographed but it doesn't really tell much of a story other than that they are all happy in their own skin and can do whatever they want to do which isn't a bad thing. It's nice to see this side of Dublin though, a real eye opener. Love the song, I think it shows the beauty of human beings really.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:57:37 AM by Sevy2016 »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some nice framing, it's very well photographed but it doesn't really tell much of a story other than that they are all happy in their own skin, it would have worked better with a clear narrative and an appearance of the band on Kiliney Bay. It's nice to see this side of Dublin though, a real rarity. Love the song.

It boggles my mind why you would want to see a digestable image of the band at KB when Bono says KB. Use your imagination yo.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
Some nice framing, it's very well photographed but it doesn't really tell much of a story other than that they are all happy in their own skin, it would have worked better with a clear narrative and an appearance of the band on Kiliney Bay. It's nice to see this side of Dublin though, a real rarity. Love the song.

It boggles my mind why you would want to see a digestable image of the band at KB when Bono says KB. Use your imagination yo.

Because the Bridge is so good in that section, it would tie the two together and elevate the video.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 07:06:51 AM »
Yeah, I really the bridge. It connects the two parts so well.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 07:08:18 AM »

Don't give up the day job.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 07:29:34 AM »

Don't give up the day job.

lol

Frankly, subject matter aside, I think the video deserved to be more universal in scope. I get that LGBT in Dublin is a microcosm of the entire world, but it's a little bit too niche and cute. The song speaks to me about children and parents more than anything tbh. Oh well. Typical U2 kind of not hitting it out of the park with their videos.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 07:43:00 AM »
Well, to me, this video is about celebrating life and love, friendship and dancing. It definitely has a universal appeal. Moreover, it goes well with the song title "Love is bigger than anything in its way".
I like it!

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »
Alrighty, I've thought through every single other non-live performance U2 video and there's not a single one I can come up with that is literal. Not one. Not water patterns Staring At The Sun or sheets coming off buildings Magnificent or we're in a circus All I Want Is You or my fingers have hands Even Better Than The Real Thing. None of them have been literal that I can think of, and so I take the Love Is Bigger video as being a specific instance of conveyance of a larger message. Just like the rest of them. No U2 music video is a literal expression of what the song is about, but they all include elements to frame the song. This one included.

I'll say it upfront: I'm gay. One of the things that has interested me about U2 is that they've been cool with people like me, even when many other rock bands (and their fans) haven't been. I've just sat back and thought about it and I believe U2 have released 81 music videos. Two, just two, have dealt with ideas of sexuality that are potentially not heterosexual. Mind you, I have never seen frustration when a U2 video shows up with a man and a woman kissing. Never seen frustration with that. But one, just one clearly gay video shows up in their 40+ year career and people start expressing frustrations that it has ruined the song for them.

They can't get past the idea that no U2 video that isn't a performance video has ever been literal, not one. They can't get past the idea that 3% of U2's music videos are about non-heterosexuals. I just hear frustration about what they don't like, rather than letting everyone have their corner. Not every U2 product has to appeal to everyone. But just because they release something that has a music video that doesn't talk to me doesn't mean the song has no value to me. It may just not be aimed at me, and that's ok. I guarantee you this video was aimed squarely at me, because I felt it. Hard.

For you, and others in the same boat, I'm glad that you like the video.  Truly.  But my issues with the video are not at all with the characters that are in it.  My primary feeling is that the video, while well shot with nice colouring and imagery, is thematically very repetitive, and thus is bores me.  It doesn't offend me.  There are other U2 videos that I don't like, too, and the reason is generally because I don't think that they've taken me anywhere (If God Will Send His Angels is the first example I can think of that's similar).  Maybe one day I'll get more out of it/them, but right now I just don't see it.

I really like the bridge, too.  This was well played.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:33:27 AM by George »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »
I'm just waiting until it gets sold to a restaurant chain. 'This burger is bigger than anything in it's way'

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
Nice to see Killiney bay in there.

I do love going there for walks.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
this video is extremely TRITE.
I will confess though, that to my ears the song is the worst thing the band has ever put out. I deleted it from my playlist long ago. Just awful, Christian rock/Social Justice Warrior stuff.
They've every right to do/say what they want with their art, but wow...not for me thanks. It seems a fitting video for an awful song.

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
no, either version does not because it isn't a video that is repetitive. It blends with the song and quite frankly, is probably my favorite U2 music video.
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
I would just like to see the band incorporated into their music videos... new viewers who may not be familiar with U2 would be able to put a name with a face so to speak.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
I'm just waiting until it gets sold to a restaurant chain. 'This burger is bigger than anything in it's way'

I'm trying to go vegan, but after reading this, I think I'm gonna have a burger for lunch.