Author Topic: LIBTAIIW Video  (Read 4202 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: LIBTAIIW Video
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
this video is extremely TRITE.
I will confess though, that to my ears the song is the worst thing the band has ever put out. I deleted it from my playlist long ago. Just awful, Christian rock/Social Justice Warrior stuff.
They've every right to do/say what they want with their art, but wow...not for me thanks. It seems a fitting video for an awful song.

Yes, it does flirt with weak Christian rock. But so did Miracle Drug and that song totally won me over live. I was 'converted'.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
this video is extremely TRITE.
I will confess though, that to my ears the song is the worst thing the band has ever put out. I deleted it from my playlist long ago. Just awful, Christian rock/Social Justice Warrior stuff.
They've every right to do/say what they want with their art, but wow...not for me thanks. It seems a fitting video for an awful song.

Yes, it does flirt with weak Christian rock. But so did Miracle Drug and that song totally won me over live. I was 'converted'.

fair point about Miracle Drug. However, to me Miracle Drug has a strength to it that feels empowering compared to LIBTAII

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »

To me, LIBTAIIW the song is okay, but my first impression of it was that it was U2's attempt at being a Coldplay tribute band.

I was the same way with Miracle Drug.  On the album, it tries to soar, but doesn't.  That changes live.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »

To me, LIBTAIIW the song is okay, but my first impression of it was that it was U2's attempt at being a Coldplay tribute band.

I was the same way with Miracle Drug.  On the album, it tries to soar, but doesn't.  That changes live.

And LIBTAIIW has the same potential. Just watch the BBC version with orchestra.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »

I agree with you. I like the video but the song feels very Coldplay-like to my ears as well.

And LIBTAIIW has the same potential. Just watch the BBC version with orchestra.
Right. Good idea. Maybe it will help.
I would have preferred a more "rock" song as a single such as The Blackout or Red Flag Day, but it's true that Love is bigger is very catchy which is important for a single.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Yeah, I really the bridge. It connects the two parts so well.

Don't give up the day job.

lol

Frankly, subject matter aside, I think the video deserved to be more universal in scope. I get that LGBT in Dublin is a microcosm of the entire world, but it's a little bit too niche and cute. The song speaks to me about children and parents more than anything tbh. Oh well. Typical U2 kind of not hitting it out of the park with their videos.

Not everyone in the video is LGBT.  The community in Dublin, as described by the photographer who made the video, David Mushegain, is one that is inclusive.  With that said, this video captures the humanity of this community, a community that is often marginalized.  As a high school teacher for 25 years, I've seen the effects of that marginalization.  Before the video, I enjoyed the song....maybe top 1/2 on the SOE, but paired with the video, the song hits me in a different way and is probably in my top 3 now.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »

lol

Frankly, subject matter aside, I think the video deserved to be more universal in scope. I get that LGBT in Dublin is a microcosm of the entire world, but it's a little bit too niche and cute. The song speaks to me about children and parents more than anything tbh. Oh well. Typical U2 kind of not hitting it out of the park with their videos.

Not everyone in the video is LGBT.  The community in Dublin, as described by the photographer who made the video, David Mushegain, is one that is inclusive.  With that said, this video captures the humanity of this community, a community that is often marginalized.  As a high school teacher for 25 years, I've seen the effects of that marginalization.  Before the video, I enjoyed the song....maybe top 1/2 on the SOE, but paired with the video, the song hits me in a different way and is probably in my top 3 now.

I'm glad it had that effect on you. I already have this song high on a pedestal, so it would have taken something particularly poignant and personal to elevate it or even match it. I just wish the video had created a narrative, All I Want Is You-esque. Those are the best.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »

lol

I'm glad it had that effect on you. I already have this song high on a pedestal, so it would have taken something particularly poignant and personal to elevate it or even match it. I just wish the video had created a narrative, All I Want Is You-esque. Those are the best.

:)  I think I added my own narrative.  In each person, I know there is a story.  One that is often challenging (as I can see by some comments I see on this video).  But with each story, love is bigger than anything in its way.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
It may be mid tempo Christian rock on the trite side of the street but no one does that better than U2.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
LIBTAIIW Video
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »
I didnít think everyone in the video was LGBT though I could see some were, I just thought these were young people who like to dress unconventionally. I thought it was about overcoming rejection for being different in a more general way than just LGBT. But then, my gaydar sucks.

I didnít find the video either great or bad, just kind of ok. U2ís videos have always been hit or miss.

As for the song, I am one of those who finds it bit cheesy though it has grown on me a bit. I would have preferred a different choice like Red Flag Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 02:34:26 AM »
For me it shares the same problem with the ebw video. The music isn't enhanced by the video, it just becomes background music for it. It doesnt work at all imo. The core message i quite like, but it's not done in a very sophisticated or well thought out way, and the video ends up detracting from the song. To me it seems quite a lazy effort actually.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:37:14 AM by DGordon1 »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2018, 03:02:15 AM »
For me it shares the same problem with the ebw video. The music isn't enhanced by the video, it just becomes background music for it. It doesnt work at all imo. The core message i quite like, but it's not done in a very sophisticated or well thought out way, and the video ends up detracting from the song. To me it seems quite a lazy effort actually.

Yeah

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
I may critique it but I actually really like it.

Offline ultraviolet_1

• Babyface
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
The song is mediocre at best and the video is absolute boring garbage! An obvious attempt to get the usually ignorant millennial popularity for their music. 

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »
Does "One" leave a bad taste in your mouth as well for addressing "tenuous" issues?

Alrighty, I've thought through every single other non-live performance U2 video and there's not a single one I can come up with that is literal. Not one. Not water patterns Staring At The Sun or sheets coming off buildings Magnificent or we're in a circus All I Want Is You or my fingers have hands Even Better Than The Real Thing. None of them have been literal that I can think of, and so I take the Love Is Bigger video as being a specific instance of conveyance of a larger message. Just like the rest of them. No U2 music video is a literal expression of what the song is about, but they all include elements to frame the song. This one included.

I'll say it upfront: I'm gay. One of the things that has interested me about U2 is that they've been cool with people like me, even when many other rock bands (and their fans) haven't been. I've just sat back and thought about it and I believe U2 have released 81 music videos. Two, just two, have dealt with ideas of sexuality that are potentially not heterosexual. Mind you, I have never seen frustration when a U2 video shows up with a man and a woman kissing. Never seen frustration with that. But one, just one clearly gay video shows up in their 40+ year career and people start expressing frustrations that it has ruined the song for them.

They can't get past the idea that no U2 video that isn't a performance video has ever been literal, not one. They can't get past the idea that 3% of U2's music videos are about non-heterosexuals. I just hear frustration about what they don't like, rather than letting everyone have their corner. Not every U2 product has to appeal to everyone. But just because they release something that has a music video that doesn't talk to me doesn't mean the song has no value to me. It may just not be aimed at me, and that's ok. I guarantee you this video was aimed squarely at me, because I felt it. Hard.

This, just yes.  Exactly.