Author Topic: Achtung Baby special edition set  (Read 1953 times)

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
Achtung Baby special edition set
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
Does anyone have the huge box set that came out for AB? Itís over $100 but has early versions of songs and songs never released elsewhere. I love that stuff. Is it worth it? Or is there a way to hear the rare unreleased stuff from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: Achtung Baby special edition set
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
This?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just YouTube it

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:08:24 AM »
I have it... got it relatively cheap from a sale and probably would not have bought it otherwise. AB is my favorite album of all time so it makes sense for me to own the boxset - but the material itself is avaiable on youtube, spotify etc. so that is not the reason to get it imo.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:50:57 AM »
Does anyone have the huge box set that came out for AB? Itís over $100 but has early versions of songs and songs never released elsewhere. I love that stuff. Is it worth it? Or is there a way to hear the rare unreleased stuff from it?

They released that box set on the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby's release in 2011. Were now only 3.5 years from the 30th anniversary and we may see another box set, just as Joshua Tree last year had a new box set to mark its 30th anniversary.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:54:41 AM »
I have it, it's pretty good. It's just collecting dust though to be honest.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:30:21 AM »
I only have found three or four of the baby kindergarten versions of songs on YouTube and those are not on Spotify. I was listening to The Working Tapes and they are so raw. U2 hardly ever releases anything raw so Iím very interested in having all those demos/sessions.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 06:36:18 AM »
I'm probably a bit biased, but if I could only keep one item of physical music media for the rest of my life, it would be this set. Even beyond the two regular albums included, there are countless gems in this. The disc with the baby remixes is probably the only one that doesn't have anything worth noting, but the rest are just packed with excellent material. There are many remixes of EBTTRT and Mysterious Ways that are exceptional, and a number of the B-sides are just amazing. On top of that, ZooTV live is an amazing concert film, although be wary of the fact that the disc may not work in a lot of players.

I can't recommend it enough. 6 stars out of 5. ;)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
The Baby versions aren't great.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
The Baby versions aren't great.

I always find their unfinished things interesting though. Iíve heard most of the remixes etc through other releases.

Saint22

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »

They released that box set on the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby's release in 2011. Were now only 3.5 years from the 30th anniversary and we may see another box set, just as Joshua Tree last year had a new box set to mark its 30th anniversary.

Let's hope this time they include audio and video of an Outside Broadcast ZooTV show. We know they have RFK Stadium in Washington DC. They presumably have Yankee Stadium in New York. Let's get on that, guys.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
This is a weird one.  There's not much from I listen to with any frequency.  The (dance) remixes are fine for what they are, but they go on a bit long after two whole discs of them.  The Kindergarten disc sounds like it would be your thing if you want to hear works in progress--there are a few interesting gems in there, but I'm not one to listen to demos a lot.  That leaves the disc of b-sides and outtakes, which is good, but most of the best bits were already released with the singles.  Down All The Days and Oh Berlin are pretty good, as is Blow Your House Down.  The other outtakes (Heaven and Hell, Everybody Loves a Winner) are pretty cringey.

I still maintain that the original versions of Can't Help Falling In Love and Night and Day should have been included, as well as the soundtrack versions of UTWOTW and Stay.

Saint22

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
This is a weird one.  There's not much from I listen to with any frequency.  The (dance) remixes are fine for what they are, but they go on a bit long after two whole discs of them.  The Kindergarten disc sounds like it would be your thing if you want to hear works in progress--there are a few interesting gems in there, but I'm not one to listen to demos a lot.  That leaves the disc of b-sides and outtakes, which is good, but most of the best bits were already released with the singles.  Down All The Days and Oh Berlin are pretty good, as is Blow Your House Down.  The other outtakes (Heaven and Hell, Everybody Loves a Winner) are pretty cringey.

I still maintain that the original versions of Can't Help Falling In Love and Night and Day should have been included, as well as the soundtrack versions of UTWOTW and Stay.

And don't forget the soundtrack version of The Wanderer. Personally, I have always thought it was a mistake to have folded Zooropa in with that set. IMO, it was just a way to drive up the price, and they knew Zooropa wouldn't sell as well on its own.

Having loved Heaven And Hell going back to the infamous Salome tapes, I was thrilled it made it to the box.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »

And don't forget the soundtrack version of The Wanderer. Personally, I have always thought it was a mistake to have folded Zooropa in with that set. IMO, it was just a way to drive up the price, and they knew Zooropa wouldn't sell as well on its own.

Having loved Heaven And Hell going back to the infamous Salome tapes, I was thrilled it made it to the box.

How DID I forget that one?  I felt like those soundtrack versions really help flesh out that period.  I can't believe I only just got those soundtracks in the past few years.

Fair play on Heaven and Hell.  I feel like U2 were really considering going a full-on torch song route before they changed gears and went German/industrial.  I'm glad they largely passed up that phase.

Has anyone else noted how Salome seems to be a precursor to Zoo Station?

Saint22

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »

How DID I forget that one?  I felt like those soundtrack versions really help flesh out that period.  I can't believe I only just got those soundtracks in the past few years.

Fair play on Heaven and Hell.  I feel like U2 were really considering going a full-on torch song route before they changed gears and went German/industrial.  I'm glad they largely passed up that phase.

Has anyone else noted how Salome seems to be a precursor to Zoo Station?

Absolutely. Just like Lady With The Spinning Head is the mother of Ultra Violet.

I never even knew the alternate versions of Stay and The Wanderer existing until a few years ago.

Offline TourDeFrance

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
I am also after the box set, what is annoying that so many 'new' copies available online and all so expensive.

This e-bay seller has 7 copies for sale.

:'(