Author Topic: Achtung Baby special edition set  (Read 2062 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: Achtung Baby special edition set
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Check discogs.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is a weird one.  There's not much from I listen to with any frequency.  The (dance) remixes are fine for what they are, but they go on a bit long after two whole discs of them.  The Kindergarten disc sounds like it would be your thing if you want to hear works in progress--there are a few interesting gems in there, but I'm not one to listen to demos a lot.  That leaves the disc of b-sides and outtakes, which is good, but most of the best bits were already released with the singles.  Down All The Days and Oh Berlin are pretty good, as is Blow Your House Down.  The other outtakes (Heaven and Hell, Everybody Loves a Winner) are pretty cringey.

I still maintain that the original versions of Can't Help Falling In Love and Night and Day should have been included, as well as the soundtrack versions of UTWOTW and Stay.

And don't forget the soundtrack version of The Wanderer. Personally, I have always thought it was a mistake to have folded Zooropa in with that set. IMO, it was just a way to drive up the price, and they knew Zooropa wouldn't sell as well on its own.

Having loved Heaven And Hell going back to the infamous Salome tapes, I was thrilled it made it to the box.

How DID I forget that one?  I felt like those soundtrack versions really help flesh out that period.  I can't believe I only just got those soundtracks in the past few years.

Fair play on Heaven and Hell.  I feel like U2 were really considering going a full-on torch song route before they changed gears and went German/industrial.  I'm glad they largely passed up that phase.

Has anyone else noted how Salome seems to be a precursor to Zoo Station?

Absolutely. Just like Lady With The Spinning Head is the mother of Ultra Violet.

I never even knew the alternate versions of Stay and The Wanderer existing until a few years ago.

Ultraviolet AND The Fly.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 04:06:08 PM »
I've come to love the baby version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses more than the album version.  There's something more passionately raw about it that really moves me.  I love that disc as a whole.  Very cool to hear how songs developed, lyrics changed etc. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
I've come to love the baby version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses more than the album version.  There's something more passionately raw about it that really moves me.  I love that disc as a whole.  Very cool to hear how songs developed, lyrics changed etc. 

Horses live is going to steal the show. Watch! Guitar is dense and amazing.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
Love a lot of Working Tapes. Heaven and Hell reminds me of Prince and maybe a little bit of 70s classic rock with that organ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »
The Baby versions aren't great.

Would have worked better had they 'officially' released the "Salome" sessions.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
I download a ton of music from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, usually at only $0.15 per track (they sometimes do sales, where it’s reduced down to $0.10). They have a LOT of U2 on there, including lots of rarities, so it’s worth scoping out.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »
It has a lot of good physical items if you're willing to pay for it. The music is easily available for much cheaper elsewhere, and the actual build quality of the product is pretty poor. Get it if you want some U2 goodies, but don't get it if you're expecting a pristine U2 box that you'll want to keep as is forever. Mine had bad gluing, poor tray construction, and was missing a CD. Universal told me to send the whole thing back to them for a replacement rather than sending me the correct CD. That tells you what sort of mentality they had for the product. Cool concept, sloppy execution.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »
I find these boxsets have so much material on them that I listen to once and am never interested in hearing again. Its a waste of money for me, just to have it sit on a shelf. I bought heaps of this stuff in my teens and early 20's but now I can't imagine collecting more stuff like this, no matter how much I love the album, etc.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
I find these boxsets have so much material on them that I listen to once and am never interested in hearing again. Its a waste of money for me, just to have it sit on a shelf. I bought heaps of this stuff in my teens and early 20's but now I can't imagine collecting more stuff like this, no matter how much I love the album, etc.

Indeed.  I still find myself drawn in by the pretty packaging, which is exactly what the companies are banking on.  Cue to several months later, where I have boxes filled with Pink Floyd scarves and marbles sitting on my shelf....and all for maybe 2 discs of music, most of which I rarely bother listening to.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »
This is a weird one.  There's not much from I listen to with any frequency.  The (dance) remixes are fine for what they are, but they go on a bit long after two whole discs of them.  The Kindergarten disc sounds like it would be your thing if you want to hear works in progress--there are a few interesting gems in there, but I'm not one to listen to demos a lot.  That leaves the disc of b-sides and outtakes, which is good, but most of the best bits were already released with the singles.  Down All The Days and Oh Berlin are pretty good, as is Blow Your House Down.  The other outtakes (Heaven and Hell, Everybody Loves a Winner) are pretty cringey.

I still maintain that the original versions of Can't Help Falling In Love and Night and Day should have been included, as well as the soundtrack versions of UTWOTW and Stay.

And don't forget the soundtrack version of The Wanderer. Personally, I have always thought it was a mistake to have folded Zooropa in with that set. IMO, it was just a way to drive up the price, and they knew Zooropa wouldn't sell as well on its own.

Having loved Heaven And Hell going back to the infamous Salome tapes, I was thrilled it made it to the box.

How DID I forget that one?  I felt like those soundtrack versions really help flesh out that period.  I can't believe I only just got those soundtracks in the past few years.

Fair play on Heaven and Hell.  I feel like U2 were really considering going a full-on torch song route before they changed gears and went German/industrial.  I'm glad they largely passed up that phase.

Absolutely. Just like Lady With The Spinning Head is the mother of Ultra Violet.

I never even knew the alternate versions of Stay and The Wanderer existing until a few years ago.

Ultraviolet AND The Fly.

AND Until the End of the World.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »

Ultraviolet AND The Fly.

AND Until the End of the World.

Hm, is that true?  I feel like I've heard that this was the case, but I'm not sure I've ever picked out where UTEOTW picks up from LWTSH.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
I went ahead and ordered it. Got it today. So glad I did. Even with remixes and rare stuff I had, there’s still stuff here I wasn’t familiar with. Plus cool photos and articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
I love 'Baby' Even Better Than The Real Thing.  It's just as fun as the finished version.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
I didn't know there were soundtrack versions of Stay or The Wanderer?

Love the AB box set. There was a cool Stones-esque instrumental version of EBTTRT that was left off though.