Author Topic: U2 Home Truths  (Read 904 times)

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
U2 Home Truths
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
Their youtube video views don't equate to how popular we think they are.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB won too many Grammys.
Hands That Built America and Ordinary Love both lost to better songs at the Oscars.
If someone in the band died around 1995, U2 would be considered the greatest band of all time (by hipsters)
Anyone under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway (forum members excluded)
Every Single choice from GOYB onward has been horrific
No one wears a U2 t-shirt in public (forum members excluded),although i've seen about two 360 shirts over the past 8 years)
U2 are underrated.
Pretty much every other major music group use the same tax loopholes as U2, but only they seem to cop grief about it (from fans of bands who do the exact same thing)
They haven't done enough film and tv cameos over the years to cement any cool status. (i'd never heard of Alice Cooper until Waynes World)
9 years is too long between tour dates (Australia please!)

That's all i can think of at the moment, it would be fun to add to the list.

Best of intentions..............................

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: U2 Home Truths
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
see comments

Hands That Built America and Ordinary Love both lost to better songs at the Oscars.  won 2 Golden Globes though

If someone in the band died around 1995, U2 would be considered the greatest band of all time (by hipsters) glad no one did

Anyone under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway (forum members excluded) spent too much energy on the under 23 IMO

Every Single choice from GOYB onward has been horrific   agree 100%

No one wears a U2 t-shirt in public (forum members excluded),although i've seen about two 360 shirts over the past 8 years)
U2 are underrated.   very rare cause there are more haters than any other band

Pretty much every other major music group use the same tax loopholes as U2, but only they seem to cop grief about it (from fans of bands who do the exact same thing)  all comes down to BONO, we know why

They haven't done enough film and tv cameos over the years to cement any cool status. (i'd never heard of Alice Cooper until Waynes World)    they are a funny bunch so would have been nice to see more for sure

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hands That Built America and Ordinary Love both lost to better songs at the Oscars.
If someone in the band died around 1995, U2 would be considered the greatest band of all time (by hipsters)
Anyone under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway (forum members excluded)
U2 are underrated.
Pretty much every other major music group use the same tax loopholes as U2, but only they seem to cop grief about it (from fans of bands who do the exact same thing)
They haven't done enough film and tv cameos over the years to cement any cool status. (i'd never heard of Alice Cooper until Waynes World)

1. Their youtube video views don't equate to how popular we think they are.

In the era of streaming, views on youtube are becoming a more accurate estimation of popularity. The most popular music of 2018 will likely be better determined by youtube than by album sales.

2. ATYCLB and HTDAAB won too many Grammys.

In my opinion, two of U2's greatest albums and deserving of every Grammy each one received. The Grammy academy has nearly 20,000 people involved with the production of music. When the academy votes, the songs and albums that receive the most votes win.

3. Hands That Built America and Ordinary Love both lost to better songs at the Oscars.

I doubt it, but I don't remember what songs they were up against.

4. If someone in the band died around 1995, U2 would be considered the greatest band of all time (by hipsters)

They were already considered one of the greatest bands of all time by 1995, and the greatest by many. VH1 Legends showed voted them along with a very small number of acts as Legends in 1998. Also U2 would have continued as a band if someone had died with a replacement.

5. Anyone under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway (forum members excluded)

Correction: A majority of people under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway.

6. Every Single choice from GOYB onward has been horrific

Not so since single choice is based on its ability to get the most radio airplay as opposed to whether its the best song on the album.

7. No one wears a U2 t-shirt in public (forum members excluded),although i've seen about two 360 shirts over the past 8 years)

Not sure about this, but it might be so because U2 fans on average are between the ages of 41 to 55. How common is it that people between the ages of 41 and 55 wear rock t-shirts in public? This style of clothing may be more common among people ages 15 to 25 who are unlikely to be U2 fans, probably because they have not heard of them or have only a heard a few songs.

8. U2 are underrated.

A little bit, but they are generally consider one of the greatest artist of all time.

9. Pretty much every other major music group use the same tax loopholes as U2, but only they seem to cop grief about it (from fans of bands who do the exact same thing)

True.

10. They haven't done enough film and tv cameos over the years to cement any cool status. (i'd never heard of Alice Cooper until Waynes World)

Not true, since they do plenty with each album and tour cycle are considered one of the greatest artist of all time.

11. 9 years is too long between tour dates (Australia please!)

Definitely,  although U2 seem to do better down under when they have been away for a while.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:11:43 PM »
I disagree about every single choice since Boots being horrific. I think it's good that they released Magnificent and EBW as singles, but they did it too late. Both of those songs should've been lead singles, but were relegated to near-after thoughts because of the damage the lead singles had done. Likewise, I wish Lights of Home would've been a single in some form. That song is good, radio-friendly, has a tie-in to HAIM, and would be a good single.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
U2 are underrated.

In the era of streaming, views on youtube are becoming a more accurate estimation of popularity. The most popular music of 2018 will likely be better determined by youtube than by album sales.

In my opinion, two of U2's greatest albums and deserving of every Grammy each one received. The Grammy academy has nearly 20,000 people involved with the production of music. When the academy votes, the songs and albums that receive the most votes win.

3. Hands That Built America and Ordinary Love both lost to better songs at the Oscars.

4. If someone in the band died around 1995, U2 would be considered the greatest band of all time (by hipsters)

They were already considered one of the greatest bands of all time by 1995, and the greatest by many. VH1 Legends showed voted them along with a very small number of acts as Legends in 1998. Also U2 would have continued as a band if someone had died with a replacement.

5. Anyone under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway (forum members excluded)

Correction: A majority of people under 23 have only heard of U2 through the Apple SOI giveaway.

Not so since single choice is based on its ability to get the most radio airplay as opposed to whether its the best song on the album.

7. No one wears a U2 t-shirt in public (forum members excluded),although i've seen about two 360 shirts over the past 8 years)

Not sure about this, but it might be so because U2 fans on average are between the ages of 41 to 55. How common is it that people between the ages of 41 and 55 wear rock t-shirts in public? This style of clothing may be more common among people ages 15 to 25 who are unlikely to be U2 fans, probably because they have not heard of them or have only a heard a few songs.

8. U2 are underrated.

A little bit, but they are generally consider one of the greatest artist of all time.

9. Pretty much every other major music group use the same tax loopholes as U2, but only they seem to cop grief about it (from fans of bands who do the exact same thing)

True.

10. They haven't done enough film and tv cameos over the years to cement any cool status. (i'd never heard of Alice Cooper until Waynes World)

Not true, since they do plenty with each album and tour cycle are considered one of the greatest artist of all time.

Definitely,  although U2 seem to do better down under when they have been away for a while.

A few thoughts:

The YouTube Views thing is entirely generational. If youíre a teen pop act, youíre going to have kids watch your latest hit over and over. Picture how many times a typical 12 year old girl is going to hit repeat on a boy bandís new video while she makes a list ranking them in order of cutest. Meanwhile, youíll watch U2ís new video once, maybe twice, and then probably not again for months. YouTube views are really only a fair comparison of fan bases within the same demographic.

Thereís also the question of popular right now vs popular overall. Mambo Number Five probably got 100 times as much airplay as anything from POP (released two years prior), but which artist would you say is more popular?

I definitely agree that if U2ís tour plane had crashed in the 90ís, theyíd  widely be looked at as semi-divine geniuses. Itís harder to be a hero when youíre a living person who can make mistakes.

Which brings me to their tv appearances. There are times when I think they have been overexposed, but really itís just Bono being overexposed doing things other than singing for U2.  They could use some more exposure as a band, with Bono dropping out of the political business for awhile. Iím not really sure what heís doing anymore except engaging in vanity/ego stuff.

As far as single choices, Iíve always thought they made some really big mistakes, especially in the marketing of POP, but recent months have just been unbelievably bad. They have chosen to sell SOE as the GOOYOW/American Soul album. There are no two ways about that. Itís going to prove to be a bad move.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:49:24 PM by This Dave »

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
As far as single choices, Iíve always thought they made some really big mistakes, especially in the marketing of POP, but recent months have just been unbelievably bad. They have chosen to sell SOE as the GOOYOW/American Soul album. There are no two ways about that. Itís going to prove to be a bad move.

I definitely agree. Staring at the Sun as the lead single would've been HUGE, and even better if followed by the single mix of If God Will Send His Angels, then the single mix of Please and a Mofo/Discotheque double A-side to end the era. Discotheque was a daring move, but it was too over the top, whereas Numb was just the right amount of weird for Zooropa to work.

I'm annoyed that they've pushed GOOYOW so much with SOE, as well. The Best Thing and Love is Bigger should've been the two tracks that were pushed the most, since they have the most potential, and then Lights of Home and Red Flag Day. GOOYOW is a good single to bring in the casuals but RFD is such a strong song that's also radio-friendly, as is Lights of Home  (the Strings version is especially strong) with the appearance of HAIM on there.

American Soul was just too deliberate of a push to be political and while it does have some power to it, it feels forced in some ways. I wish that it had been more like XXX with some guitars tinged in there to make it more U2-like but still experimental and different; just imagine a smoky slide guitar solo over top of the XXX groove, that would've been really cool.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 05:26:26 AM »
U2 are underrated.

8. U2 are underrated.

True.

A few thoughts:

The YouTube Views thing is entirely generational. If youíre a teen pop act, youíre going to have kids watch your latest hit over and over. Picture how many times a typical 12 year old girl is going to hit repeat on a boy bandís new video while she makes a list ranking them in order of cutest. Meanwhile, youíll watch U2ís new video once, maybe twice, and then probably not again for months. YouTube views are really only a fair comparison of fan bases within the same demographic.

Thereís also the question of popular right now vs popular overall. Mambo Number Five probably got 100 times as much airplay as anything from POP (released two years prior), but which artist would you say is more popular?

I definitely agree that if U2ís tour plane had crashed in the 90ís, theyíd  widely be looked at as semi-divine geniuses. Itís harder to be a hero when youíre a living person who can make mistakes.

Which brings me to their tv appearances. There are times when I think they have been overexposed, but really itís just Bono being overexposed doing things other than singing for U2.  They could use some more exposure as a band, with Bono dropping out of the political business for awhile. Iím not really sure what heís doing anymore except engaging in vanity/ego stuff.

YouTube is a form of streaming and listening to music just like Spotify and other services. U2's streams for their current music on youtube and Spotify are about the same, which is not very good at all. Most people, regardless of demographic, are not streaming their music because its either free or very very cheap. Album sales are still a gauge of popularity, but while it was nearly 100% of what gauged new popular music 15 years ago, today its only about 20% at best, with streaming making up 60%, and individual track downloads another 20%. Streaming is growing, digital track downloads and album sales purchases are declining. Also when people stream, they are usually streaming individual songs as opposed to whole albums. The whole idea of the album is shrinking in appeal today at a rapid rate.

U2 singles used to always enter the HOT 100 and few would make the top 40 of that chart. Nothing U2 has released in the decade of the 10s has made the HOT 100 in the United States except for Ordinary Love which peaked at #84 in its first week and then in its second week dropped to #99 before dropping from the chart for good.

U2 are still good at selling albums, physical and digital relative to streaming and digital track downloads. But even here, we have an album that has sold just under 300,000 copies after 5 months in the United States. POP, and album criticized for its poor sales had sold over a 1 million copies in its first 5 months of release. One would hope that is because a lot of people are streaming or downloading individual tracks, but that is not the case. U2's equivalent album sales from streaming and individual track downloads would only add about 12,000 copies to their overall total in the United States.

Streaming is how most people, regardless of age or demographic,  are listening to their music today and within 7 years that number will probably be over 90% of the population. Its already over 60%.

As for me, I still listen to music the old fasion way. I buy Compact Disc and listen to Compact Disc on Compact Disc players. When I travel and rent a car, I always make sure the rental car has a compact disc player. I've been listening to my music that way since 1988 and see no reason to change. But the rest of the population has moved on and are streaming and streaming primarily just individaul songs. Another sad thing is that people are not listening to whole albums anymore regardless of how they listen to music.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »
The Edge is on fire

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

Smell the flowers while you can.

Long live U2

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
Their singles choices over the last 15 years or whatever, have been terrible. Pretty much all of them. I will agree with that for sure.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 01:50:38 PM »
Agree with most of this. Still love seeing the best live band ever, and happy for people who like recent music, but I haven't liked anything since Achtung.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
Agree with most of this. Still love seeing the best live band ever, and happy for people who like recent music, but I haven't liked anything since Achtung.

Oh my, nothing since Achtung? I think I would have stopped following the group long ago if that was the case for me. How do you enjoy a live show when most of the songs are post Achtung?

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »
I tend to agree with most if not all of those home truths. Some of the reactions to the U2 download by the younger folk were hilarious - what is a U2?