Author Topic: What the future holds for U2  (Read 2372 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
What the future holds for U2
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
I just got to thinking lately with the new tour starting about when the next album/tour cycle will come around. I've been thinking like most people that after this tour there will be a long 3 year wait for a new album and tour. I actually wonder though if that is not the case and that they are planning to release a new album by the end of 2019.
That would mean that the current tour would likely end in November. There would be no Australian/New Zealand/Japan tour in 2019. 2019 would be spent recording Songs Of Ascent. Then in early 2020, the Songs Of Ascent tour would start up. U2 would finally make it down under in late 2020 or early 2021 marking 10 years since the last visit.

Then in 2022, U2 launch a 30 year anniversary tour of Achtung Baby/ZOO TV. Same length as the recent Joshua Tree 2017 tour with about 50 shows, with more shows outside the United States than on the 2017 Joshua Tree tour.

The end of 2023 would finally see the Rick Rubin produced album come out with a tour for it In 2024. That's a very ambitious schedule, but a possibility as I think the band want to get as much as they can out of the next 5 to 7 years as opposed to spending nearly that length of time recording a single album.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
Re: What the future holds for U2
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The end of 2023 would finally see the Rick Rubin produced album come out with a tour for it In 2024.

That album is never coming out

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »
There isn't going to be a Achtung Anniversary tour!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
Well I think I have a read on the room at least.

All I can add is that I keep hearing about a contract, and my understanding of it suggests we are getting another album/tour soon. Maybe nobody (but me) wants them, but it may be a contactual requirement.

Edge seemed happy about the idea of an AB anniversary tour but who knows. Meself, I'm more excited for good new material (SOE, yes, HTDAAB, no) than nostalgia. If I want to relive Zoo TV I've got YouTube and Sydney.

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
As a young fan, (23) I would love to see the peak U2 from the Zoo TV tour. I am drawn more to the Sydney DVD than any other clip on Youtube. At the same time, from a broader perspective, I do not think another nostalgia tour is needed, unless it is a farewell tour.

I few things that concern me with the band going forward is obviously the expiring contract, but also the status of Larry. He seems more reclusive than ever and reports have said he hasn't been all too pleased with the latest record.

From a more macro standpoint, I would like to see U2 to stop worrying about being so relevant. They have made their mark in the annals of history and will be looked at more reverently when they are gone. Go back to the roots, pre Unforgettable Fire sound. Today's musical landscape and tastes will simply not let a rock band command the airwaves and streaming services.

Also, here is to a great tour starting tonight.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
The end of 2023 would finally see the Rick Rubin produced album come out with a tour for it In 2024.

That album is never coming out

Says who?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »
There isn't going to be a Achtung Anniversary tour!

Says who?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

All I can add is that I keep hearing about a contract, and my understanding of it suggests we are getting another album/tour soon. Maybe nobody (but me) wants them, but it may be a contactual requirement.

Edge seemed happy about the idea of an AB anniversary tour but who knows. Meself, I'm more excited for good new material (SOE, yes, HTDAAB, no) than nostalgia. If I want to relive Zoo TV I've got YouTube and Sydney.

I'll take another HTDAAB any day of the week. U2's 3rd greatest album!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »
As a young fan, (23) I would love to see the peak U2 from the Zoo TV tour. I am drawn more to the Sydney DVD than any other clip on Youtube. At the same time, from a broader perspective, I do not think another nostalgia tour is needed, unless it is a farewell tour.

They didn't need to do the Joshua Tree tour 2017 either, but they did because it was fun and gave them more time to work on Songs Of Experience. A 50 show tour does not have to take a lot of time and could be done while their writing and recording the next album. I don't think its a sure thing they will do it, I think if the timing is right and they feel there is demand for it, they might do it.

Willie Williams says the probability that they would do a Achtung Baby/ZOO TV tour went up after they did the Joshua Tree tour 2017, so it is a possibility.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:08 AM »
I do expect a new album coming soon but not before 2020. The Achtung Baby tour makes sense and this should be in 2021. If they decide to release an experimental album such as Songs of Ascent in 2020 then the tour in 2021 could be a combination of promoting the new album + Achtung Baby anniversary.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:05:24 AM »

I love hearing that. It means when I finally get my spade and pickaxe out I might actually uncover a gem.

It's still looking like dirt for now though.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 06:17:18 AM »

I love hearing that. It means when I finally get my spade and pickaxe out I might actually uncover a gem.

It's still looking like dirt for now though.

HTDAAB won 9 Grammy awards. More than any other album in history including Michael Jackson's Thriller. Food for thought.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 06:28:03 AM »
The Achtung Baby tour makes sense and this should be in 2021.

I don't think it should be in 2021. U2 did not play any shows back in 1991. The album was not released until the end of 1991, November 19, 1991 to be exact. So your not at 30 years yet if you start a tour for the album in early 2021. Also, 1992 was really the year that Achtung Baby owned although it was released at the very end of 1991. ZOO TV did not start until February 29, 1992.

So release the 30th anniversary box set in November 2021, but start the tour in the spring of 2022.

I think that Songs Of Ascent deserves its own tour and that would fit better if they get the album out before the end of 2019 and start the tour in 2020 with it concluding with shows in Australia, New Zealand and Japan in early 2021.

Of course, there is a chance that none of this will happen and Songs Of Ascent does not get released until late 2022 with the tour to follow in 2023.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »
Hopefully they do the right thing and visit Australia/NZ/Asia on this tour, as I am of the feeling that after 3 tours in 4 years there is going to be a break of a few years.

Offline MariosMantzos

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
We need them back in Greece. It is a shame that they have come here just a couple of times in 40 years of acting