Author Topic: What the future holds for U2  (Read 3323 times)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: What the future holds for U2
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
They need to take a freggin break and make the demand for their tickets go up.  They are the greatest band ever but make people want you.  Vacation and see your family.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
Hopefully they get to Australia/NZ/Asia in early 2019.  If they donít, theyíll have a bunch of pi**ed off fans. 

Then, I picture them working on new material in increments over the next few years.  I donít see a new album being released before the 2nd half of 2021.  Thatíll be 4 years since SOE, and the demand in the USA should be recharged for the 2022 tour.  That tour will probably be from 2022-2024, as their tours will take longer now that theyre older.  Maybe the new album will be SOA, maybe something different. 

I think if anything is done for AB 30, itíd just be a few festival like shows, not a full tour.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
Really disappointing if they don't take E&I to Australia. After that, you have to imagine they will take a pretty decent break. I doubt Songs of Ascent ever sees the light of day (maybe some sort of bonus release should they ever retire). And the next album, which will be some time away, will be very different than SOE and I am not going to begin to predict what that might mean. Wouldn't be surprised if they go back to Eno though, perhaps recognizing he does bring out great creativity in them and things are getting closer to the end (I don't mean that to suggest they only have 1 album to go).

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:05:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well I think I have a read on the room at least.

All I can add is that I keep hearing about a contract, and my understanding of it suggests we are getting another album/tour soon. Maybe nobody (but me) wants them, but it may be a contactual requirement.

Edge seemed happy about the idea of an AB anniversary tour but who knows. Meself, I'm more excited for good new material (SOE, yes, HTDAAB, no) than nostalgia. If I want to relive Zoo TV I've got YouTube and Sydney.

I'll take another HTDAAB any day of the week. U2's 3rd greatest album!

It really is such a good album. It gets such slander thrown at it, but it's a superb release.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 11:06:33 PM »
I maintain the reason why they're keeping the SOI chunk in the concert is because they anticipate taking it to the places i+e didn't get to.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »
Hopefully they get to Australia/NZ/Asia in early 2019.  If they donít, theyíll have a bunch of pi**ed off fans. 

Then, I picture them working on new material in increments over the next few years.  I donít see a new album being released before the 2nd half of 2021.  Thatíll be 4 years since SOE, and the demand in the USA should be recharged for the 2022 tour.  That tour will probably be from 2022-2024, as their tours will take longer now that theyre older.  Maybe the new album will be SOA, maybe something different. 

I think if anything is done for AB 30, itíd just be a few festival like shows, not a full tour.

What will happen is after SOE is U2 will record another album called SOL.

It will be met with mixed response and their will be talk, maybe too much talk, of going to Australia bringing  both tours (EI & JT) down under. Ozzie fans will get all proud and start practicing the lyrics to One Tree Hill.

However, once the SOL tour will be announced, every Australian will eventually realise that they are:

Saint22

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
I maintain the reason why they're keeping the SOI chunk in the concert is because they anticipate taking it to the places i+e didn't get to.

Sure. They only played like 10 cities in North America in 2015, right? Some of us traveled, but not all of us were able to.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »
I like SOE much better than SOI, but even SOI was a fantastic concert.  This one is shaping up to be epic!

Offline Feeder

• Babyface
  • From father to son.........
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
Lots of empty seats with curtain hiding sections (St. Louis, SJ). Rumour is ticket prices for LA being slashed. Half the number of shows in major cities than previous indoor tours. The signs are clear. Loose the megaphone and same costumes as 2015 tour (Edge's bad leather jacket with tassels). Change up the set list by more than 2 songs for multiple nights. Although I do appreciate Bono's connection with fatherhood, mortality and being a husband maybe he can simply write letters instead of trying to torture his band mates to present them in song. I believe they will bring back Eno and Lanois and surprise us with a masterpiece next album.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »

What will happen is after SOE is U2 will record another album called SOL.

It will be met with mixed response and their will be talk, maybe too much talk, of going to Australia bringing  both tours (EI & JT) down under. Ozzie fans will get all proud and start practicing the lyrics to One Tree Hill.

However, once the SOL tour will be announced, every Australian will eventually realise that they are:

I think a lot of Aussies have probably forgotten who they are anyway given I rarely hear them ever on the radio, maybe Angel of Harlem every now and then.  We have had quite a few awesome acts touring here the last few years.  I am not going to be too fussed either way.  The ticket prices would probably be out of my price range anyway.  I am just glad for the amazing music that they have made over the years and the epic songs that defined my generation.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:02 AM »
After 10+ albums and so many tours, anything after this should really be a bonus at this point. Two new albums within almost three years of each other, and three tours on top of it for a similar period, is pretty darn good for their age. If they need a break after this year, I'd totally understand. And I'll be waiting for the next stuff as well...

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
As I said elsewhere on this forum, I'd really like them to get all the songs for the next album finished before they go into the studio to record it. That being said, they can do writing and rehearsal pretty much anywhere, so...set up at Edge's place in SoCal for a while, and do some "deep cuts" shows for fun at night while they're there. Same thing for Dublin and France.

Having said that...yeah, we're probably looking at at least a 2-year break, folks.
  :/

Saint22

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
After 10+ albums and so many tours, anything after this should really be a bonus at this point. Two new albums within almost three years of each other, and three tours on top of it for a similar period, is pretty darn good for their age. If they need a break after this year, I'd totally understand. And I'll be waiting for the next stuff as well...

Agreed. All I ask is that, if they are taking a break, they actually TAKE A BREAK and don't take break while teasing that a new album is 'almost finished'. Either announce you are taking a break, or just take one and don't say anything and let us figure it out.

Don't string us along with Bono saying 'We just need to put the finishing touches on Songs of Ascent, and we'll be right back out. I'd love for our next tour to be in arenas and 90 percent of the material be songs that are either new or have never been played on the radio before. Edge has been listening to our b-sides and has some ideas' and then we don't get a new album until 2022, it is all new and nothing that was believed to have been Songs Of Ascent, and the tour is the same old tour.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
Judging from the 2 shows I saw in San Jose this week - neither of which was sold out, and both which saw fans sitting through much of the newer material, the band has some thinking to do. They must see what is happening, they must sense the room and see the numbers.

I am not suggesting they give up and turn into the Stones and just do greatest hits tours with no new music... but I for one wouldn't mind if it had rarities as well.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
Lots of empty seats with curtain hiding sections (St. Louis, SJ).

You have any evidence of this? Two hours before the second San Jose show, there were less than 250 tickets left. All of the sections on the upper levels were soldout. The most any section had left were maybe 3 or 4 rows. You don't block out an entire section of people because you failed to sell tickets in just 3 rows. In a 18,000 seat arena, 250 tickets not sold is not noticeable at all. St. Louis had even less tickets available before show time.

Rumour is ticket prices for LA being slashed.

Yes, this is true, as it has been for other shows on this tour and tours be other artist now. It has become standard to start out charging scalper level prices for some tickets and try to sell them at that price. Obviously some of those tickets don't sell and then are reduced in price as the show draws closer. The impact is that the artist is able to achieve the maximum gross possible, while make it very difficult for scalpers to make any money off the event. Taylor Swift is doing this on her stadium tour. Few, if any of the shows soldout initially due to high prices. But the shows gradually filled up, especially as some of the prices for tickets came down. The strategy sacrifices the "cool" publicity effect of a rapid sellout for the greater gross achieved by pricing all tickets as close as possible to their true market value.

Half the number of shows in major cities than previous indoor tours.

That just did a big stadium tour last year, so naturally demand is down in a lot of places because of that. Also the Innocence And Experience Tour was only 3 years ago as well. U2 has not toured this often in major cities in the United States since the early 1980s. They are over saturating the market a bit now.

The signs are clear. Loose the megaphone and same costumes as 2015 tour (Edge's bad leather jacket with tassels). Change up the set list by more than 2 songs for multiple nights. Although I do appreciate Bono's connection with fatherhood, mortality and being a husband maybe he can simply write letters instead of trying to torture his band mates to present them in song. I believe they will bring back Eno and Lanois and surprise us with a masterpiece next album.

The die hard fans are still with the band. Its only the casual fans and general public that are sitting on the sidelines. The above won't get them to buy tickets. They would only go to one show anyways at best on average and prefer the hits to deep cuts. The best thing to get casual fans and the general public to go to shows would be a new single that is able to get airplay on radio and other formats. That would pick up interest and lead to more album buying and listening, which naturally leads to more ticket buying for shows.