Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Absonjourney

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »
Anyone who thinks the Tulsa crowd was bored wasn't there. That's a crazy statement. Crowd was singing and screaming full throated through the entire performance.

Just goes to show you can't get a feel for a performance through Periscope.

As far as "lip syncing" Elevation goes...that's false.

Seriously some of you are just looking for things to complain about.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
Ok, I just watched the video. Normally I would be careful and say it didn't seem lip synched to me, or imho it wasn't, or as far as I could tell it wasn't.

Screw that. It was not lip synched.

It doesn't sound lip synched. It doesn't look lip synched. It ain't lip synched.

Glad we were able to dispense with that.

Offline dfndub

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
Watch someone's YouTube video of "All Because of You". The crowd is pretty with it, there. Fist pumps and jumping, which isn't what I would expect for that particular song as it's not one of the more popular ones. Looked fun to me :)

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, I just watched the video. Normally I would be careful and say it didn't seem lip synched to me, or imho it wasn't, or as far as I could tell it wasn't.

Screw that. It was not lip synched.

It doesn't sound lip synched. It doesn't look lip synched. It ain't lip synched.

Glad we were able to dispense with that.

I should have been more detailed - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - at around 1:34 it looks really off. I know Bono sings the lyrics, but the ďwoo-hoooĒ parts just Jarred me. His mouth doesnít even make the shape that it should. If Iím wrong then GOOD I hope I am itís hust how it looks. But I ainít wrong about Love Is All We Have Left.

Everyoneís happy with the first song being lip synced because itís an App/intro piece or whatever? I think thatís pretty poor.
Someone tell me why he couldnít just sing a perfectly easy song. Iím more annoyed at the pointlessness of it.

If youíre going to play an intro track over the PA then donít have Bono out on stage mouthing along to it. Itís not what Iím paying a small fortune to see.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:28:53 PM by garyu2 »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »
I'll check your time stamp when I can but I thought Edge also sings the whoo hoo parts live, is it possible that at a moment he just let Edge carry it? I've seen that with other songs too.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
My impression for years has been that Bono, in certain spots, sings along to a backing track of himself, that way it sounds fuller. Or in some cases, he can't hit certain notes anymore and the backing track is the more powerful vocal.  I don't see the big deal with that. 

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
That would kind of suck. I thought Edge carried all the backing stuff live, even when it's a Bono overdub on the album. And why not? Edge has it pretty well nailed. Though I guess he never had much vocal power, hmm.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
Bono has sang along with a backing track of himself on Elevation since the Elevation Tour.  It's only on the "HOOOOO!!!" parts.  His falsetto is not what it used to be, and it's not a guarantee that he can hit it perfectly every time.  The rest of the vocals on the song are live.

As far as LIAWHL, I wouldn't call that lip syncing.  He's not even pretending to be singing it live.  He doesn't even have a microphone to his mouth!  He's just singing along with himself for the hell of it. 

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
I thought the Woo-Hoos in Elevation have always been pre-recorded since 2001.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »
I thought the Woo-Hoos in Elevation have always been pre-recorded since 2001.

Not entirely...

I've been at gigs where the Woo-Hoos were sung by the crowd and not Bono

Probably have been at various other times though... Maybe it's just on this tour

LIAWHL...He's not even pretending to sing and he doesn't even have a microphone. He just pops down from the screen to give an extra feeling from the AR app thing. Not really Ar**d about that.

If he sings live, great...If not, that means you have to completely restructure the entrance of the band
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:52:26 PM by the_chief »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
The woo-hoo's are probably (90% positive) lip-synced but the rest isn't.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
I'm more curious as to how the rest of the bloody band ended up in the screen

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
All bands and singers do this.  Bono also uses auto tune live.  People donít expect to hear real live music they want the stupid perfection they are accustomed to on iTunes.  I love the accidents and screw ups of the old live music itís what made the show you are at unique. Those days are gone.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
He uses autotune live?

If so, they do a crap job of it. I think he sounded good early last night but then kind of went off key as the night progressed.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
All bands and singers do this.  Bono also uses auto tune live.  People donít expect to hear real live music they want the stupid perfection they are accustomed to on iTunes.  I love the accidents and screw ups of the old live music itís what made the show you are at unique. Those days are gone.
In the 10 shows that Iíve seen, dating back to the Vertigo Tour, Iíve heard far too many vocal eff-ups from Bono to readily believe that he uses autotune live, to fix his foibles.