Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 7285 times)

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
U2 has been using backing tracks for a long long time.  If this is just bothering you then you have been asleep.

Bono sings the main vocal lines but if you pay attention he is supplemented by backing tracks of his own voice.  There are also many parts added, extra guitars, synths etc. 

Who do you think has been playing the keyboard on Bad or the intro to Streets all these years? Adam? LOL

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
Yeah I knew about the synths and you didn't have to insult me with that asleep crap. I don't know how you know it but perhaps you have fully working ears. I'm working with a hearing impairment and it can be difficult to discern layers of sound. Asleep? Well I don't know what your excuse is.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All bands and singers do this.  Bono also uses auto tune live.  People donít expect to hear real live music they want the stupid perfection they are accustomed to on iTunes.  I love the accidents and screw ups of the old live music itís what made the show you are at unique. Those days are gone.
In the 10 shows that Iíve seen, dating back to the Vertigo Tour, Iíve heard far too many vocal eff-ups from Bono to readily believe that he uses autotune live, to fix his foibles.
he turns it on and off itís called pitch control.  Itís standard in the industry

Offline RossG1977

• Wanderer
  • It's better to burn out than fade away....
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 11:47:18 PM »
U2 has a team under the stage.  Dallas and what's his name.  I forget the keyboardist's name.  But they have been doing this for years.   IF you want real genuine music with no backing tracks and REALLY really honest and live, then go to a Phish or a String Cheese Incident show (both bands I love, FYI).   U2 aren't virtuoso players.   It's about the songs and delivery and spirit of the shows.  It's not Edge who is who is playing the backing track to Bad.  I'm okay with "underground" backing players, as long as the songs are honest and the delivery is sincere.  In the case with U2, it always has been.   But it would kinda be cool to see all the players on stage, don't you think.  You know, like Pink Floyd or Roger Waters.   All 7 or 8 people are on stage. 

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »
U2 has been using backing tracks for a long long time.  If this is just bothering you then you have been asleep.

Bono sings the main vocal lines but if you pay attention he is supplemented by backing tracks of his own voice.  There are also many parts added, extra guitars, synths etc. 

Who do you think has been playing the keyboard on Bad or the intro to Streets all these years? Adam? LOL

Thereís a difference between the backing track of instruments (Iím fully aware that almost EVERY U2 song has some form or another) and Bono mouthing along to Love Is All We Have Left. All just to supplement an iPhone app gimmick.

Iíd rather watch him stand there and sing the song with my phone in my pocket.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 02:29:56 AM »

It was adam playing the organ intro for streets actually. Watch any JT2017 show his feet do the talking!

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 03:55:29 AM »
I'm a musician and spend a lot of time in the studio.
I can 100% say auto tune is not used live by Bono or anyone else in the band.

Offline dtc

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 05:28:31 AM »
Sorry but so much nonsense. Adam is NOT playing the organ - it is a Moog Taurus foot controller with a synth bass patch and he plays single bass notes. The rest is a backing track.

For about the millionth time - Dallas is NOT playing guitar. He is a guitar tech. He prepares guitars for Edge and the next song. He tunes them. He changes the presets and operates pedals when Edge is walking about. He hangs around, ready to hand Edge a fresh appropriate guitar if he breaks a string or something else goes wrong. So he has 2 guitars ready for the next song - he may have a few Strats for example but they are not all in the same tune so concentration is required to get it right. Right key, right string guage, right knob settings. No room for mistakes with Edge.

At what stage do you imagine that Dallas has time to play guitar? There is of course extra guitar, but on a small amount of songs. If you hear it then it is on the backing track with the additional keyboards, strings, percussion and backing vocals.

If you have seen videos of him with a guitar appearing to play it, that's because you have to actually touch them whilst getting them ready. You may even strum a few chords or test out some actual U2 licks.

But, please feel free to show me a moment in Tulsa (or any other show) where there is an example of Dallas playing the guitar? I can point to examples where he is there with the right fresh guitar when a problem occurred. How is he managing all of this? He's great but he's just one man.

Sorry if any of this shatters any illusions :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Offline bigstrides

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
As others have said, there are backing guitars and vocals on some songs.  In terms of some of the synth and organ on songs, it comes from Terry Lawless, who the lads whimsically dub the 5th member of the band.  Terry has been playing synth and organ under the stage for their shows since at least the ZooTV tour. 

Offline dtc

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 07:04:51 AM »
Just checked on Terry Lawless' site and he is indeed with them. He doesn't play everything of course - some is on backing track but he is still imo the only extra live musician.

As far as Bono goes, I would imagine he has "vocal reinforcement" at some stages. Edge has some such as the backing vocals on Beautiful Day - he is of course singing but there is more going on. Same with Bono.

Ultimately without the extra stuff it would be a very empty sounding show.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
I'm a musician and spend a lot of time in the studio.
I can 100% say auto tune is not used live by Bono or anyone else in the band.
it is I have a click track

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Bono has sang along with a backing track of himself on Elevation since the Elevation Tour.  It's only on the "HOOOOO!!!" parts.  His falsetto is not what it used to be, and it's not a guarantee that he can hit it perfectly every time.  The rest of the vocals on the song are live.

As far as LIAWHL, I wouldn't call that lip syncing.  He's not even pretending to be singing it live.  He doesn't even have a microphone to his mouth!  He's just singing along with himself for the hell of it.
Thank you.

Anyone that has followed the band knows that on the Elevation Tour the Woo-Hoos had a backing track... they didn't want him blowing his voice 2 minutes into the show.

As far as LIAWHL... it's obvious he's just "miming along"...Bono's not trying to fool anyone into believing he's singing it live.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
U2 has a team under the stage.  Dallas and what's his name.  I forget the keyboardist's name.  But they have been doing this for years.   IF you want real genuine music with no backing tracks and REALLY really honest and live, then go to a Phish or a String Cheese Incident show (both bands I love, FYI).   U2 aren't virtuoso players.   It's about the songs and delivery and spirit of the shows.  It's not Edge who is who is playing the backing track to Bad.  I'm okay with "underground" backing players, as long as the songs are honest and the delivery is sincere.  In the case with U2, it always has been.   But it would kinda be cool to see all the players on stage, don't you think.  You know, like Pink Floyd or Roger Waters.   All 7 or 8 people are on stage.
Terry Lawless.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
Sorry but so much nonsense. Adam is NOT playing the organ - it is a Moog Taurus foot controller with a synth bass patch and he plays single bass notes. The rest is a backing track.

For about the millionth time - Dallas is NOT playing guitar. He is a guitar tech. He prepares guitars for Edge and the next song. He tunes them. He changes the presets and operates pedals when Edge is walking about. He hangs around, ready to hand Edge a fresh appropriate guitar if he breaks a string or something else goes wrong. So he has 2 guitars ready for the next song - he may have a few Strats for example but they are not all in the same tune so concentration is required to get it right. Right key, right string guage, right knob settings. No room for mistakes with Edge.

At what stage do you imagine that Dallas has time to play guitar? There is of course extra guitar, but on a small amount of songs. If you hear it then it is on the backing track with the additional keyboards, strings, percussion and backing vocals.

If you have seen videos of him with a guitar appearing to play it, that's because you have to actually touch them whilst getting them ready. You may even strum a few chords or test out some actual U2 licks.

But, please feel free to show me a moment in Tulsa (or any other show) where there is an example of Dallas playing the guitar? I can point to examples where he is there with the right fresh guitar when a problem occurred. How is he managing all of this? He's great but he's just one man.

Sorry if any of this shatters any illusions :)

...Mic-Drop.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
Itís a show relax and enjoy the magic, donít worry about how it happens