Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a musician and spend a lot of time in the studio.
I can 100% say auto tune is not used live by Bono or anyone else in the band.
it is I have a click track

Ermmm a click track is to keep you in time. It not auto tune. Not sure how that is supposed to prove anything

He's a bit flat and a bit sharp on a lot of songs live. If he was using auto tune, he'd be 100% spot on, with every note he sings. That's not the case.
Also, auto tune is extremely easy to hear and spot. They are 100% not using it.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
Maybe on the click track you are hearing recorded backing vocals?

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »

Ermmm a click track is to keep you in time. It not auto tune. Not sure how that is supposed to prove anything

He's a bit flat and a bit sharp on a lot of songs live. If he was using auto tune, he'd be 100% spot on, with every note he sings. That's not the case.
ok Iím sorry let me rephrase itís the in ear instructions and you can hear Pitch Control.  Click track is what we called all that in ear stuff back in the day itís been 20 years I donít know what the kids call it now

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »
U2 has been using backing tracks for a long long time.  If this is just bothering you then you have been asleep.

Bono sings the main vocal lines but if you pay attention he is supplemented by backing tracks of his own voice.  There are also many parts added, extra guitars, synths etc. 

Who do you think has been playing the keyboard on Bad or the intro to Streets all these years? Adam? LOL

It was adam playing the organ intro for streets actually. Watch any JT2017 show his feet do the talking!

Those are Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals to produce long sustained bass notes, it is not the main organ synth for the Streets intro.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »

ok Iím sorry let me rephrase itís the in ear instructions and you can hear Pitch Control.  Click track is what we called all that in ear stuff back in the day itís been 20 years I donít know what the kids call it now

That doesn't explain why he's flat and too sharp on certain notes in a lot of songs.
He's not using auto tune at all. That is a fact.

Backing vocals however....Sounds like there's an entire choir there at times

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »

That doesn't explain why he's flat and too sharp on certain notes in a lot of songs.
He's not using auto tune at all. That is a fact.

Backing vocals however....Sounds like there's an entire choir there at times
I agree there it turns on and off for parts he needs it or wants it I donít know but itís used.  In my best estimate itís higher parts.

Itís standard itís not like heís doing something everyone else doesnít do.

Itís a show there are a million people who can sing better than Bono none of them have anything good to say nore are they the snowman he is.  His brilliance isnít in a perfect execution of a song itís the lyrics and his passion

Offline Rono

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
If you watch the videos from St Louis it looks like he is wearing a mic??(Particularly around the 2 minute mark) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »
All bands and singers do this.  Bono also uses auto tune live.  People donít expect to hear real live music they want the stupid perfection they are accustomed to on iTunes.  I love the accidents and screw ups of the old live music itís what made the show you are at unique. Those days are gone.
In the 10 shows that Iíve seen, dating back to the Vertigo Tour, Iíve heard far too many vocal eff-ups from Bono to readily believe that he uses autotune live, to fix his foibles.
he turns it on and off itís called pitch control.  Itís standard in the industry

On some bootlegs, particularly from last year, in addition to the ď1, 2, 1-2-3-4Ē one Can audibly here, to help keep the band in time, one can sometimes hear a pitch, almost sounding like a theremin. I remember specifically hearing it on Bad. Itís not auto tune to fix Bonoís voice; itís for him to hear and to help stay in key, by singing along with it.

At least, thatís how Iíve always understood it.

With that said, Iíve always deleted those bootlegs, as I canít stand hearing the ď1, 2, 1-2-3-4Ē every 45 seconds.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
All bands and singers do this.  Bono also uses auto tune live.  People donít expect to hear real live music they want the stupid perfection they are accustomed to on iTunes.  I love the accidents and screw ups of the old live music itís what made the show you are at unique. Those days are gone.
In the 10 shows that Iíve seen, dating back to the Vertigo Tour, Iíve heard far too many vocal eff-ups from Bono to readily believe that he uses autotune live, to fix his foibles.
he turns it on and off itís called pitch control.  Itís standard in the industry

On some bootlegs, particularly from last year, in addition to the ď1, 2, 1-2-3-4Ē one Can audibly here, to help keep the band in time, one can sometimes hear a pitch, almost sounding like a theremin. I remember specifically hearing it on Bad. Itís not auto tune to fix Bonoís voice; itís for him to hear and to help stay in key, by singing along with it.

At least, thatís how Iíve always understood it.

With that said, Iíve always deleted those bootlegs, as I canít stand hearing the ď1, 2, 1-2-3-4Ē every 45 seconds.
um no he asks for pitch control in a separate mic by saying pitch.  So yes he uses it why wouldnt he when everyone else does

Offline roma70

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »
I have no problem with U2 using sequencers and backing tracks - they have done this for many years, but miming too LIAWHL is inexplicable and inexcusable. Just look at some of the comments on youtube to see the flack that they are attracting. Just sing the song!

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »
I have no problem with U2 using sequencers and backing tracks - they have done this for many years, but miming too LIAWHL is inexplicable and inexcusable. Just look at some of the comments on youtube to see the flack that they are attracting. Just sing the song!

Agreed. Though watch out for a backlash like I got.

Am I the only one who thinks this AR gimmick at the start of the show is terrible?

It kills the atmosphere. It doesnít even look cool. The graphics themselves are not impressive. Half the audience has no idea whatís going on. The song itself isnít a showpiece song (I love it though), hardly ideal for a concert start.

If they were really determined about this whole idea then ok...fine...play the MP3 over the PA ($200 a ticket for this!?) and have the graphic do its thing. But DONT have Bono stand there and mime like heís Britney Spears. Couldnít they do this without him? Just have the band appear for The Blackout?

Itís wretched. But then the band go and play Acrobat and youíre like ďJesus, what a song, what a band!Ē
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:56:36 PM by garyu2 »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »
^nah. It's cute to see the massive celebrity of Bono and he's great at silent acting.

In StL yt vid, he was looking at someone tenderly while miming "hey this is no time not to be alive". I would cry if I was that lucky person, God get me through 2018.

Also, he had a mic attached to his face in StL liawhl. He did NOT mouth "now, you(re) at the other end of the telescope"

On the album, is it Edge or Bono who sings this part?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
It's Bono, with his voice modified by Vocoder effects.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
Thank u for solving this mystery for me, that Edge doesn't sing the "telescope" part on liawhl!

It sounds a bit falsetto-ish, so I thought Edge did "telescope" and the next line "7 billion stars".

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »
Yeah, that was a question I asked in another thread - it's a very important distinction for the meaning of the song. I'm happy it's all Bono - this feels very much like he's been removed from the world in this one, perhaps in a limbo. Edge shouldn't be in this one.

Incidentally, I also asked about YTBTAM and it's Edge telling him he can see it all so clearly, etc., but it's not a mortal song.

I've been told LIAWHL preceded The Event, but no matter to me, this totally reads to me as the song for that mortal moment, and I think the OP's observation totally confirmed that. So like Kite was written for him to speak to his sons but it turned out it was his father speaking to his own sons. The timing doesn't preclude the meaning if he embraces it, and he clearly has.