Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »
Yeah, I don't get why he's doing it on this track when there's plenty of room to play with it considering the layers of vocals on the record (he could sing just the vocoder part live, i.e singing to himself "at the other end of the telescope", he could dramatically enter late in the song, etc, just SOMETHING)

And yeah, there's pitch correction all over these days. Though from seeing em and hearing a million bootlegs, not live at shows. TONS on official live albums/DVDs (listen to MLK on the 360 Rose Bowl DVD for the most offensive example), and yeah, lots on SoE too (stands out quite a bit in Summer Of Love to me). I kind of hate it (flaws are good!), but that's the way it is.

Backing tracks are fine!

Online laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 05:53:29 AM »
Guys, what is he doing with his hands during LIAWHL?

I get the feeling there's a theatrical reason for the lip syncing.

It's a time where he cannot make words. He is thinking/feeling them, but his movements/voice are restricted.

His hands, I haven't grasped what he is doing, but it's something very deliberate.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
Glad we can close the book on this!

Last night in San Jose LIAWHL was LIVE and GREAT.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ok. He looks pretty live-ish even during SJ#1 liawhl.

Us fans & audience are so crazy about him looking our way. He should look into the crowd more suring his liawhl AI doll act.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Aside from the vocoder on the second verse he sounds 100% live now and I've got no problem with him leaving the first half of that verse just the track to come back in on the second half. Not sure why he felt the need to phase in doing this song live but I'm glad it's behind us.

Offline jackd2e

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
Bono was lip sinking LIAWHL until San Jose Night 2. he actually sung it.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Aside from the vocoder on the second verse he sounds 100% live now and I've got no problem with him leaving the first half of that verse just the track to come back in on the second half. Not sure why he felt the need to phase in doing this song live but I'm glad it's behind us.
cool. So different from album version. Live vocals are much hoarser and less ethereal. Still cool though. Crowd really goes wild when he looks their way, losing all the blueish MRI mortality significance. Heh.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
I'll check your time stamp when I can but I thought Edge also sings the whoo hoo parts live, is it possible that at a moment he just let Edge carry it? I've seen that with other songs too.

I think the woo-woo parts have been pre-recorded for some time. Bono will double them as he's able to, etc. but I think they are part of the backing bed.

Some artists will use "ducking" technology - they'll sing along with safety tracks, which can be pulled out (auto or manually) as the live vox takes over the mix.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
Was he singing in Las Vegas and The Forum?

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Bono was lip sinking LIAWHL until San Jose Night 2. he actually sung it.

Maybe heís not confident that he can hit the changes with the backing track. Itís a pretty loose song without a beat to guide him. You start a half beat too late and the whole thing  is thrown off.  Although I supposed a click track and guide could help him out.  I donít know.

Bono does not have the best timing - he can get lost in songs. Just check that recent Acrobat when he lost track of the one.  Sorry, canít remember which date it was.