Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 4214 times)

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »
Yeah, I don't get why he's doing it on this track when there's plenty of room to play with it considering the layers of vocals on the record (he could sing just the vocoder part live, i.e singing to himself "at the other end of the telescope", he could dramatically enter late in the song, etc, just SOMETHING)

And yeah, there's pitch correction all over these days. Though from seeing em and hearing a million bootlegs, not live at shows. TONS on official live albums/DVDs (listen to MLK on the 360 Rose Bowl DVD for the most offensive example), and yeah, lots on SoE too (stands out quite a bit in Summer Of Love to me). I kind of hate it (flaws are good!), but that's the way it is.

Backing tracks are fine!

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 05:53:29 AM »
Guys, what is he doing with his hands during LIAWHL?

I get the feeling there's a theatrical reason for the lip syncing.

It's a time where he cannot make words. He is thinking/feeling them, but his movements/voice are restricted.

His hands, I haven't grasped what he is doing, but it's something very deliberate.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
Glad we can close the book on this!

Last night in San Jose LIAWHL was LIVE and GREAT.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ok. He looks pretty live-ish even during SJ#1 liawhl.

Us fans & audience are so crazy about him looking our way. He should look into the crowd more suring his liawhl AI doll act.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Aside from the vocoder on the second verse he sounds 100% live now and I've got no problem with him leaving the first half of that verse just the track to come back in on the second half. Not sure why he felt the need to phase in doing this song live but I'm glad it's behind us.

Offline jackd2e

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
Bono was lip sinking LIAWHL until San Jose Night 2. he actually sung it.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Aside from the vocoder on the second verse he sounds 100% live now and I've got no problem with him leaving the first half of that verse just the track to come back in on the second half. Not sure why he felt the need to phase in doing this song live but I'm glad it's behind us.
cool. So different from album version. Live vocals are much hoarser and less ethereal. Still cool though. Crowd really goes wild when he looks their way, losing all the blueish MRI mortality significance. Heh.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
I'll check your time stamp when I can but I thought Edge also sings the whoo hoo parts live, is it possible that at a moment he just let Edge carry it? I've seen that with other songs too.

I think the woo-woo parts have been pre-recorded for some time. Bono will double them as he's able to, etc. but I think they are part of the backing bed.

Some artists will use "ducking" technology - they'll sing along with safety tracks, which can be pulled out (auto or manually) as the live vox takes over the mix.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
Was he singing in Las Vegas and The Forum?

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Bono was lip sinking LIAWHL until San Jose Night 2. he actually sung it.

Maybe heís not confident that he can hit the changes with the backing track. Itís a pretty loose song without a beat to guide him. You start a half beat too late and the whole thing  is thrown off.  Although I supposed a click track and guide could help him out.  I donít know.

Bono does not have the best timing - he can get lost in songs. Just check that recent Acrobat when he lost track of the one.  Sorry, canít remember which date it was.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
I regret to inform you that lip-syncing has very much returned. I was at night 2 in DC and not a note of LIAWHL was sung live. I suspect a large part of why getting to hear The Blackout in person didn't wow me as much as it has for everyone else was that my being upset with and disappointed in Bono spilled over into the next song.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
I regret to inform you that lip-syncing has very much returned. I was at night 2 in DC and not a note of LIAWHL was sung live. I suspect a large part of why getting to hear The Blackout in person didn't wow me as much as it has for everyone else was that my being upset with and disappointed in Bono spilled over into the next song.

He may be singing with a recorded track. That is not the same as lip-syncing.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »

I know the difference between the sound of Bono's live voice and the voice on the record. He switched to singing over a quieter recorded track in the middle of the tour, which is perfectly fine by me; the Omaha show is a good example where you can hear the backing track peek out in the mix here and there but you're mostly hearing him. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now compare that to night 2 in DC. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Bono's live voice is nowhere to be found there.

Edit: I've gone back and compared my show to St. Louis, which is 100% a pre-recorded intro. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Using that as a reference, there are spots where you can detect some live singing from DC; the "we have" in "And that all we have is immortality" has a little something that is his live voice on top of the recorded track. While having at least a little live singing in the mix might technically make it no longer lip-syncing, I consider hearing much, much more backing track than live singing in the mix (as opposed to San Jose and Omaha where it was mostly the live singing) something in the ballpark of lip-syncing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:28:27 PM by redapple129 »

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2018, 01:43:06 AM »

I know the difference between the sound of Bono's live voice and the voice on the record. He switched to singing over a quieter recorded track in the middle of the tour, which is perfectly fine by me; the Omaha show is a good example where you can hear the backing track peek out in the mix here and there but you're mostly hearing him. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now compare that to night 2 in DC. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Bono's live voice is nowhere to be found there.

Edit: I've gone back and compared my show to St. Louis, which is 100% a pre-recorded intro. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Using that as a reference, there are spots where you can detect some live singing from DC; the "we have" in "And that all we have is immortality" has a little something that is his live voice on top of the recorded track. While having at least a little live singing in the mix might technically make it no longer lip-syncing, I consider hearing much, much more backing track than live singing in the mix (as opposed to San Jose and Omaha where it was mostly the live singing) something in the ballpark of lip-syncing.

Whoawhoawhoawhoa. Heís singing over the album track. During the first few nights, he was lip syncing- not to fool but just for an act. By Los Angeles, they turned down the studio track volume and Bono started actually singing over it. He is now singing with the tracks. Since those shows were filmed, maybe they decided not to do live vocals over the album track.

Lip syncing has a very negative connotation. Bonos not trying to fool anyone. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:44:38 AM by 64ac30 »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2018, 04:19:54 AM »

How much of his live voice you hear could be an issue with Joe the Soundman, ones own ears, the building, how the video or audio was recorded, or something else.