Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
So people calm down the vocals in that song are synthesized or computerized whatever itís called for effect.  So a human voice canít recreate it.  Iím sure thatís part it all this.

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So people calm down the vocals in that song are synthesized or computerized whatever itís called for effect.  So a human voice canít recreate it.  Iím sure thatís part it all this.

Its just pitch processing.  It can be processed just as easily live as in the studio, or close enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 03:58:55 AM »

Its just pitch processing.  It can be processed just as easily live as in the studio, or close enough. 

if they want to worry about that live

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
I don't see how it can be done live without screwing it up. What is easily done in playback, when live requires absolutely perfect timing by Bono (good luck with that) and in the sound booth. Our ears will hear the smallest mistakes in timing. And it can sound quite unnatural even if timing is good, whereas a lighter touch can be applied in post.

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
I don't see how it can be done live without screwing it up. What is easily done in playback, when live requires absolutely perfect timing by Bono (good luck with that) and in the sound booth. Our ears will hear the smallest mistakes in timing. And it can sound quite unnatural even if timing is good, whereas a lighter touch can be applied in post.

Itís done live every day.  Did you see Black-eyed Peas open on 360?  They do it routinely.  Vocal processors can pitch correct, double, harmonize real-time.  The part you are talking about in the song is double-tracked.  They could have the pitch-affected track on playback while Bono sings the ďnormalĒ voice.  They use backing tracks (as do most bands) on many of their songs.  Why would this one be any different?   And why would he be lip-synching the part that doesnít have that effect?

Iím sure there is some reason they did it.  Who knows?  Maybe it was for some artistic statement related to mortality or  feeling half gone or detached laying in an MRI.  But it wasnít anywhere near necessary for technical reasons.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

Itís done live every day.  Did you see Black-eyed Peas open on 360?  They do it routinely.  Vocal processors can pitch correct, double, harmonize real-time.  The part you are talking about in the song is double-tracked.  They could have the pitch-affected track on playback while Bono sings the ďnormalĒ voice.  They use backing tracks (as do most bands) on many of their songs.  Why would this one be any different?   And why would he be lip-synching the part that doesnít have that effect?

Iím sure there is some reason they did it.  Who knows?  Maybe it was for some artistic statement related to mortality or  feeling half gone or detached laying in an MRI.  But it wasnít anywhere near necessary for technical reasons.

not all that black eyed peas stuff is live

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
Bono was definitely singing live at Montreal 1. The synthy voices were from the recorded album version but the rest of it was subtly different in timing from the album.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »
For everyone defending LIAWHL as being an "intro" and "not a performed song", my question is....WHY?

There's nothing about the song that would seem to necessitate a pre-recorded vocal.  Even if you need the pitch-shifted backing vocals, those can easily be part of the backing track while Bono sings the main part.  A click track in his earpiece to keep him in time, and a headset mic so he can move his hands freely are all that are needed.  I'm not incensed or anything, but I really don't get the reasoning behind it.  I'm someone who thinks, if a part CAN be played or sung live, then do it.  So it's weird to me that there's an entire song that doesn't feature any live audio, but Bono's standing there AS IF HE WOULD BE SINGING.

I also think the "intermission" track is dumb, mostly because I got excited both times to hear a beloved/rare track, only to realize it's just a pre-recording.  There may be a technical reason why it's needed, but I kind of wish they would figure out a way around it.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
I don't understand either, but I am not upset. My take is, there is some reason. Bono sounded amazing in Boston, so it wasn't an issue of him not having a voice and just faking it. He sang everything else for sure, and he sounds as good as ever.

I don't care about the recorded intermission. We could either have empty space there, or we could be entertained. I was entertained. It was extra effort on their part, not less. More bang for our buck, not less.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
I don't understand either, but I am not upset. My take is, there is some reason. Bono sounded amazing in Boston, so it wasn't an issue of him not having a voice and just faking it. He sang everything else for sure, and he sounds as good as ever.

I don't care about the recorded intermission. We could either have empty space there, or we could be entertained. I was entertained. It was extra effort on their part, not less. More bang for our buck, not less.

To me, "more bang for my buck" would mean a song performed live, not a pre-recorded bit.  It is what it is--I at least understood what it was on this tour, as opposed to I+E where I was just kind of confused--but it just seemed an odd break in the flow of things.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
Well, that would be even more bang for your buck, but it's more than an empty intermission.

I felt like I got a full show; it wasn't too short.

I suspect Larry is our limiting factor for extra long shows. I'd rather him not do more than he can, not only for altruistic reasons, but selfishly we get more Larry and more U2 if we don't grind him to the bone.

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
For everyone defending LIAWHL as being an "intro" and "not a performed song", my question is....WHY?

There's nothing about the song that would seem to necessitate a pre-recorded vocal.  Even if you need the pitch-shifted backing vocals, those can easily be part of the backing track while Bono sings the main part.  A click track in his earpiece to keep him in time, and a headset mic so he can move his hands freely are all that are needed.  I'm not incensed or anything, but I really don't get the reasoning behind it.  I'm someone who thinks, if a part CAN be played or sung live, then do it.  So it's weird to me that there's an entire song that doesn't feature any live audio, but Bono's standing there AS IF HE WOULD BE SINGING.

I also think the "intermission" track is dumb, mostly because I got excited both times to hear a beloved/rare track, only to realize it's just a pre-recording.  There may be a technical reason why it's needed, but I kind of wish they would figure out a way around it.

This is why I think it was some kind of creative decision.  Its an easy song to sing.  There is no technical reason not to sing it.   The way he stands there kind of like a zombie with his hands out.  Likie heís somewhere halfway between life and death, singing along with the recording when he can.  The whole thing is odd, which makes me think its some kind of performance art.

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »
He was 100% live both nights in Boston with just the autotuned portions prerecorded of course. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »

This is why I think it was some kind of creative decision.  Its an easy song to sing.  There is no technical reason not to sing it.   The way he stands there kind of like a zombie with his hands out.  Likie heís somewhere halfway between life and death, singing along with the recording when he can.  The whole thing is odd, which makes me think its some kind of performance art.

Thatís possible. If it is performance art, I wish I understood it.

I know of some similar types of things...Pink Floyd starting the Wall shows with the backup musicians in the bandís place, wearing masks as if they were the real band...but I also understand the point being made with that. With this, I feel like Iím either accusing the band of doing something inauthentic, or defending some artistic purpose I donít understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
He was 100% live both nights in Boston with just the autotuned portions prerecorded of course.

On LIAWHL? I won't argue with you, but I thought I was hearing album vocals through the whole song.

If the lower register parts were live, he was sounding very smooth (smoother than the first night he sang that live, I forgot which city). But of course he sounded great all night.