Author Topic: Lip-syncing!?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
Re: Lip-syncing!?
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
There always seems to be some of the bands own fans wanting to shoot them down so easily nowadays  :(

we've always known there are pre recorded elements to a show. I think the lads do brilliantly, the setlist is great.

Just enjoy them while we've still got them  8)

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There always seems to be some of the bands own fans wanting to shoot them down so easily nowadays  :(

we've always known there are pre recorded elements to a show. I think the lads do brilliantly, the setlist is great.

Just enjoy them while we've still got them  8)

Pre-recorded elements is a little different to lip-synching. Remember just now much money people are paying for tickets/travel etc. It’s not exactly cheap.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Don't really understand the need for the "pre-recorded elements." If Bono is going to stand there with a microphone, he may as well just sing it. Having him lip-sync it doesn't add anything to the show.

Same with HMTMKMKM. If the intermission is only going to be one song long, just play it live. Felt the same way about The Fly on ie.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
Don't really understand the need for the "pre-recorded elements." If Bono is going to stand there with a microphone, he may as well just sing it. Having him lip-sync it doesn't add anything to the show.

Same with HMTMKMKM. If the intermission is only going to be one song long, just play it live. Felt the same way about The Fly on ie.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all, not even a little bit. It's intermission. And you're mad that they aren't playing... during intermission? That by definition makes it not intermission. So your choice is dead air during intermission, no intermission, or an entertaining admission that forms the linchpin of the narrative.

What is the advantage of losing intermission? You want to go home 5 minutes earlier? And it's that important that our entertainers cannot gulp some water, pee, and do a costume change for 5 lousy minutes so we don't have to - horror of horrors - watch a short set to music for 5 minutes?

God, what has the world come to?

You probably would have lost your sh** watching Ben Hur back in the day. And make sure you never go to theater or opera or a concert or ballet if you can't handle intermission.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2018, 07:21:28 AM »

I don't understand this line of thinking at all, not even a little bit. It's intermission. And you're mad that they aren't playing... during intermission? That by definition makes it not intermission. So your choice is dead air during intermission, no intermission, or an entertaining admission that forms the linchpin of the narrative.

What is the advantage of losing intermission? You want to go home 5 minutes earlier? And it's that important that our entertainers cannot gulp some water, pee, and do a costume change for 5 lousy minutes so we don't have to - horror of horrors - watch a short set to music for 5 minutes?

God, what has the world come to?

You probably would have lost your sh** watching Ben Hur back in the day. And make sure you never go to theater or opera or a concert or ballet if you can't handle intermission.

Lol at the bold. Taking this a little far, aren't we?

All I said was that if "intermission" was only going to be 5 minutes long, and they are going to play a pre-recorded version of one of their own songs...... maybe it makes sense to not have an intermission and to continue the set. Please, tell me of a broadway show with a five minute intermission. Same with opera or ballet. Enlighten me.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
The bolded was sarcastic. Indeed what has the world come to! A 5 minute intermission with entertainment included! The horror! So it's you taking it a liiiiiiittle far.

It's nice that you would prefer no intermission to the hell of a 5 minute intermission telling the Experience story, but the performers have a few needs of their own. Also, there's a costume change. Talk about first world problems.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »
I’m not sure anyone’s taking it to the degree you’re suggesting, but I’ve also added my $.02 regarding not liking the intermission. I’d rather they play a song—in both of these tours, I got excited thinking they were going to play a rare favorite, only to be (slightly) disappointed it was just a recording. I also think it stops the flow of the concert. I’ve been to shows featuring a real intermission...there’s no question what’s happening when they occur. Those shows also tend to be a bit longer.

Just saying, if the choice is between hearing them play HMTM or Bono putting on a top hat, I’d say leave the top hat home.

Alternatively, other bands feature a song or two that the singer can disappear during, to get through costume changes. Even U2 have done it. Have Edge do Numb while Bono changes. Or Seconds. Or VDL. I’d take any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:01 AM »

Judge for yourselves

I see it on the "Woooahoo's" but that is it. No other place. 

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »
I just lost my mind for two hours trying to figure out how to count LIAWHL, and the lip-syncing totally makes sense. The song must be practically impossible to sing live. Even with a click track to keep in time, there's really no way to know when the hell to come in, for a few reasons:

1. The verses and chorus are slightly different tempos (102 bpm vs 107 bpm)
2. Lyrics don't always come in on measures, or even on beat, they just kind of float around the song and come in and out. Sometimes they're early, sometimes late.
3. Some notes are held and dragged out for long, imprecise amounts of time.
4. There are no cues in the song except the main verse/chorus chord changes...no real indication from the synths on when the vocals are supposed to come in.
5. Even the synths are sometimes a bit dodgy on what beat/measure they're changing chords on.

You can totally hear how much Bono is struggling with it if you listen to the IEM recording from San Jose with the click track (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). I lined it up with the studio version in Audacity and Bono is all over the place, he only nails it for maybe 5 or 6 lines. And they can't really use the click track for cues because the vocals never line up with it.

Try and count it yourself! It's all in 4/4. Just remember to speed yourself up 5bpm for the choruses  :D
I'd give up and lip sync it too.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:36:41 AM by NotComingDown »

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2018, 05:52:13 AM »
I just lost my mind for two hours trying to figure out how to count LIAWHL, and the lip-syncing totally makes sense. The song must be practically impossible to sing live. Even with a click track to keep in time, there's really no way to know when the hell to come in, for a few reasons:

2. Lyrics don't always come in on measures, or even on beat, they just kind of float around the song and come in and out. Sometimes they're early, sometimes late.
4. There are no cues in the song except the main verse/chorus chord changes...no real indication from the synths on when the vocals are supposed to come in.
5. Even the synths are sometimes a bit dodgy on what beat/measure they're changing chords on.

You can totally hear how much Bono is struggling with it if you listen to the IEM recording from San Jose with the click track (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). I lined it up with the studio version in Audacity and Bono is all over the place, he only nails it for maybe 5 or 6 lines. And they can't really use the click track for cues because the vocals never line up with it.

Try and count it yourself! It's all in 4/4. Just remember to speed yourself up 5bpm for the choruses  :D

I get why artists that also have a dance component to their performance might lip sync certain parts.  They are performing two things at a time and sometimes dance takes precedence over vocal.  But there is no reason for a singer to just stand there and lip synch. 

The live vocal doesn’t need to line up with the album recording.  I don’t understand your point.  They’re not overlaying the performance on the album.

If a song is for any reason too technically difficult to pull off then it shouldn’t be done live.  Lip-synching the first song just sets the show off wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »

I get why artists that also have a dance component to their performance might lip sync certain parts.  They are performing two things at a time and sometimes dance takes precedence over vocal.  But there is no reason for a singer to just stand there and lip synch. 

The live vocal doesn’t need to line up with the album recording.  I don’t understand your point.  They’re not overlaying the performance on the album.

If a song is for any reason too technically difficult to pull off then it shouldn’t be done live.  Lip-synching the first song just sets the show off wrong.

My point is just that, the song is too difficult to perform live. The overlaying stuff I was talking about was just explaining how I figured out exactly how complicated the song is.

"Then they shouldn't perform it" is a fair point! They must have just valued it enough as the show opener that they didn't want to drop it.

I'm not arguing in favor of that or otherwise, my only point with this post was to explain all the ways in which performing the song live, correctly, (without totally reworking it anyway) would be damn near impossible.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »

My point is just that, the song is too difficult to perform live. The overlaying stuff I was talking about was just explaining how I figured out exactly how complicated the song is.

"Then they shouldn't perform it" is a fair point! They must have just valued it enough as the show opener that they didn't want to drop it.

I'm not arguing in favor of that or otherwise, my only point with this post was to explain all the ways in which performing the song live, correctly, (without totally reworking it anyway) would be damn near impossible.

Okay. I just don’t understand how its a complicated song.  It seems like a short simple little tune to me.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
It's just real loose and Bono could easily get lost in the fog, mess up the changes, etc. - especially if it speeds up slightly on the chorus.

In theory, he could have a click with prompts in his ear, but he's pretty messy with timing and I guess they didn't want to risk the beginning of the show on a sloppy rendition?

It's really a shame, though - it could have been a nice vulnerable way to kick off the show.  Maybe adding the actual Bono was an afterthought - maybe the original draft was just the song and visuals and it felt too impersonal or something.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2018, 07:38:38 AM »
It’s not complicated. They may have reasons for doing it the way they did, but “it’s too complicated” is not one of them.

They also dropped it from the setlist now, so the point is moot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
You can insist it's easy to time the vocals to the synth changes all you want and it doesn't magically make it so.

I personally feel I could have completed that pass better than Tom Brady but maybe the experts know better than I do.