Author Topic: Does Bono still smoke?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Does Bono still smoke?
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:14:29 AM »
And either way, can somebody please go back in time and kick hos ass? How dumb is it for a singer to take up smoking - and not even have youth to blame?

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Does Bono still smoke?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »
Nah he doesn't.
The roughness has gone from his voice.

Compare how he sings Acrobat now then when it was on the album.
On the album, he was smoking. Now he's not, he's singing more clearly and clean.

Both good

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
That's good to hear.

There are parts of his voice that are nicer than ever - if it's not just autotune at least.

But there are other parts that are gone. He can't seem to take up the intensity anymore.

Also the growls, shouts, screams, grunts, moans are gone. I really miss those.

On Fallon last fall he sang Bullet like a boss. It might literally be my favorite version just on the vocals alone.

But on BBC last year they did WOWY and at the end where he might have gone into shine like stars or some other intense vocals, he didn't. And you could tell he wanted to - but he didn't. So that's been lost.

Same stuff at Tulsa the other night, intense/shouty parts of SBS got canned. I might have just assumed to save his voice for the tour but at the BBC he could have given it his all on a one-off performance.

So I don't know if any of that is smoking related - weakening something - or not.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's good to hear.

There are parts of his voice that are nicer than ever - if it's not just autotune at least.

But there are other parts that are gone. He can't seem to take up the intensity anymore.

Also the growls, shouts, screams, grunts, moans are gone. I really miss those.

On Fallon last fall he sang Bullet like a boss. It might literally be my favorite version just on the vocals alone.

But on BBC last year they did WOWY and at the end where he might have gone into shine like stars or some other intense vocals, he didn't. And you could tell he wanted to - but he didn't. So that's been lost.

Same stuff at Tulsa the other night, intense/shouty parts of SBS got canned. I might have just assumed to save his voice for the tour but at the BBC he could have given it his all on a one-off performance.

So I don't know if any of that is smoking related - weakening something - or not.

I'm an ex smoker and my voice has gotten so much clearer and stronger but, the roughness and groans and "rock" sound has gone from it...Along with my falsetto

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
The man is 58 yo and done a lot of touring and he has smoked and drunk heavily and he has had supposed health issues in recent times so is it really surprising that his voice is not as agile as it used to be.  Quite a lot of older singers have lost some aspects of their vocal ability as they lose muscle strength and vocal chord flexibility and many have needed surgery to maintain their vocal chords free of nodules etc.  I think he just has to sing smarter perhaps with really good technique. 

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »
Not necessarily surprised, just trying to understand it and also get other takes. My hearing isn't good so I might be missing things, and me noticing these details would take more for me than for most.

I just now watched back to back (ended up deleting song name to avoid spoiling) from I+E Paris and E+I Tulsa. I definitely hear the difference in terms of vocal power. I also see a marked difference in physical energy. I'm not criticizing, just noting it. I don't know if it's just a matter of 3 years of aging or if whatever he went through has permanently changed him physically.

Again, no criticism at all. God knows his energy just 3 years ago would have kicked my ass though I'm years younger. Honestly it probably still would kick my ass - just standing there and singing takes more than it looks.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »

I posted the YouTube link in a different thread, Bonoís Voice 2017 Edition, to demonstrate how far Bonoís voice has deteriorated when compared to another singer, Eddie Vedder. Now that seems unfair but I think this shows the state of Bonoís vocal range/ ability; plus that was only the second concert of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour.

As far as the smoking & drinking Bono did in the past, I see it as a contributing factor to the permanent damage he did to his vocal chords. Iíve heard recordings from 1987 where Bono isnít really singing but heís screaming the lyrics during his performances. For a good example of this, listen to the recording from June 3, 1987 at the Birmingham NEC Arena; he does this on New Years Day. Also, think of all the problems he had on the Love Town tour where he did lose his voice & concerts had to be either postponed (Sydney, AUS) or cancelled altogether (Amsterdam, NL).

The deterioration of Bonoís vocal ability didnít happen overnight this been building for the past 3+ decades.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:06:41 PM by LToy »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the MOTD link, that was fun to watch. Was great hearing Eddie and he nailed the song. I really love that Bono always gives it his all even when he's croaking next to Eddie Vedder. I'm serious, that takes balls and commitment and love. That he was happy to let Eddie shine on Bono's song was wonderful, and he didn't just slink off but gave the audience everything. He didn't make it a competition, he just gave.

This was last year, so not long ago at all. I feel like 2015 I was hearing a much stronger voice. I also think he killed on the 2014 VMAs - just killed.

His voice has always been a mixed bag - I've heard plenty of out of tune singing even in the 80s. So it's not that I'm judging his pitch from one night. What I'm looking at are his choices - always to restrain himself. It is what it is, but I'm noticing it.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »

I just now watched back to back (ended up deleting song name to avoid spoiling) from I+E Paris and E+I Tulsa. I definitely hear the difference in terms of vocal power. I also see a marked difference in physical energy. I'm not criticizing, just noting it. I don't know if it's just a matter of 3 years of aging or if whatever he went through has permanently changed him physically.

Again, no criticism at all. God knows his energy just 3 years ago would have kicked my ass though I'm years younger. Honestly it probably still would kick my ass - just standing there and singing takes more than it looks.

Haha I am the same age as Bono and run a farm and do a lot of physical work handling sheep and yes seriously in the last 3 years I have noticed a change in my strength and energy levels. I broke my leg and once you lose fitness it is very hard to get it back quickly.  Bono had his major accident which would have knocked the stuffing out of him and a health scare plus he had punished his body over time with drinking and smoking and giving it all out on stage and off stage.  I punished my body by doing extreme sports and farming and the older you get the more you pay! There is nothing good physically about getting old and it will differ with people.  Mick Jagger seems to still be able to stroll those bones and he is 20 years older or so.  Enjoy your younger years lol!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:32:12 PM by summerholly »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
I will try, and try to remember. Unfortunately I became ill at age 31 and did not get to enjoy much strength or energy. I really understated it when I compared my energy to Bono's. 58 year old Bono would do absolute cartwheels around 31 year old (and I'm 41 now) me. But I have to remember, whatever I have I will look back on wistfully - unless I'm somehow healed of course!

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:28 PM »
I will try, and try to remember. Unfortunately I became ill at age 31 and did not get to enjoy much strength or energy. I really understated it when I compared my energy to Bono's. 58 year old Bono would do absolute cartwheels around 31 year old (and I'm 41 now) me. But I have to remember, whatever I have I will look back on wistfully - unless I'm somehow healed of course!

Yes I got an acute auto immune disease at around 31 and that absolutely hammered me for quite awhile and the aftermath still plays havoc on occasion.  However as much as I hate to admit it a healthy me at 58 is different from a healthy me back in my thirties or even forties.  Ha these days curling up in the sun with a good book is a very attractive option where when I was younger it would have been sacrilege. 

Nothing like poor health or an accident to knock one for six and Bono has had those issues in the last few years so I don't expect him to be leaping around the stage at this point.  Knowing Bono he will do the best that he can for his audience but he is mortal like the rest of us.  Younger people may still expect more and for him to act like a young man it is not really realistic

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
I really don't expect, just noticing.

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »

I posted the YouTube link in a different thread, Bonoís Voice 2017 Edition, to demonstrate how far Bonoís voice has deteriorated when compared to another singer, Eddie Vedder. Now that seems unfair but I think this shows the state of Bonoís vocal range/ ability; plus that was only the second concert of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour.

As far as the smoking & drinking Bono did in the past, I see it as a contributing factor to the permanent damage he did to his vocal chords. Iíve heard recordings from 1987 where Bono isnít really singing but heís screaming the lyrics during his performances. For a good example of this, listen to the recording from June 3, 1987 at the Birmingham NEC Arena; he does this on New Years Day. Also, think of all the problems he had on the Love Town tour where he did lose his voice & concerts had to be either postponed (Sydney, AUS) or cancelled altogether (Amsterdam, NL).

The deterioration of Bonoís vocal ability didnít happen overnight this been building for the past 3+ decades.
Thanks for sharing this. It would be a dream come true if I was able to see Eddie & Bono share the stage! And then I wonder how much longer Eddie's voice can remain so great?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
Eddie still smokes as do I. It changes your voice. Eddie has stated publicly how he detests having to give it up.

Saint22

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »

This book is now almost 25 years old, but it contains the answers to many questions that seem to keep popping up here. It won't tell you if something is still the case, but it will tell you why, how and when it got started.

As for the smoking, all of them have smoked off and on. Bono smoked as recently as the last RS cover story, as he and Ali are described as passing a cigarette back and forth.

Bono states in the book that smoking is a good distraction when you know everyone in the room is staring at you. There are reasons for things famous people do that would never occur to us regular folks, so maybe we should cut them a little slack.