Author Topic: Does Bono still smoke?  (Read 1524 times)

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Does Bono still smoke?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
Ok :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »
Ali smokes.  I always thought she was so sensible, almost to a fault.

Saint22

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
Y'all make it sound like they are shooting heroin or something.

Again, you have to put yourself in their place. How many of us only smoke in certain situations, like high-stress, or at parties or while out drinking? That's the lifestyle they lead every day. If I traveled all the time and had booze in front of me all the time, there's no way I could have quit. And also, the hurry-up-and-wait nature of being a musician. I totally get it.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Again, you have to put yourself in their place. How many of us only smoke in certain situations, like high-stress, or at parties or while out drinking? That's the lifestyle they lead every day. If I traveled all the time and had booze in front of me all the time, there's no way I could have quit. And also, the hurry-up-and-wait nature of being a musician. I totally get it.

Yep they are adults and can make their own decisions, they know the risks.  Most of my old shearer friends have smoked all their lives and have no intention of giving it up.  They worked hard, played hard and smoking was very much part of that generation.  Tea breaks weren't called smoko for no reason.  I used to smoke at parties myself a very long time ago, heck everyone used to smoke at parties and pubs back then. My great uncle was a pack a day man with a good quantity of whiskey and he lived till his nineties much to everyone's surprise.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:19:26 AM by summerholly »

Saint22

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »

Yep they are adults and can make their own decisions, they know the risks.  Most of my old shearer friends have smoked all their lives and have no intention of giving it up.  They worked hard, played hard and smoking was very much part of that generation.  Tea breaks weren't called smoko for no reason.  I used to smoke at parties myself a very long time ago, heck everyone used to smoke at parties and pubs back then. My great uncle was a pack a day man with a good quantity of whiskey and he lived till his nineties much to everyone's surprise.

Smoking isn't good for you. Neither are fatty foods or the other garbage in the air that we breathe every day. Smokes and sodas have become the catch-all to blame all health woes on. Again, no one is saying smoking is good for you; it isn't. But to your point, genetics are important as well. And other environmental factors.

In any event, I don't think 2-3 smokes a week or even a day ever hurt anyone. It is almost impossible to keep it at that, though.

I've quit a couple of different times, including last November, but when I see U2 in Nashville in a couple of weeks, you can bet I am going to be out on the strip before and after with a smoke in hand and a song in my heart. :)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »

Smoking isn't good for you. Neither are fatty foods or the other garbage in the air that we breathe every day. Smokes and sodas have become the catch-all to blame all health woes on. Again, no one is saying smoking is good for you; it isn't. But to your point, genetics are important as well. And other environmental factors.

In any event, I don't think 2-3 smokes a week or even a day ever hurt anyone. It is almost impossible to keep it at that, though.

I've quit a couple of different times, including last November, but when I see U2 in Nashville in a couple of weeks, you can bet I am going to be out on the strip before and after with a smoke in hand and a song in my heart. :)

True story. Nashville was the city of my smoking decline. I had quit for 15 years and got back on the cigs when I went to Nashville.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »

True story. Nashville was the city of my smoking decline. I had quit for 15 years and got back on the cigs when I went to Nashville.
when I worked on 2nd ave I smoked a ton, Ive been quit for 20 years at this point though no smoking In Nashville for me

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
You don't think two cigarettes a day would hurt you?  What is this, 1967?  We know better now.

Saint22

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
You don't think two cigarettes a day would hurt you?  What is this, 1967?  We know better now.

Really? Cite your sources, doctor.

The problem is, it is next to impossible to only smoke 2 cigarettes a day. That's the reason hardly anyone does it. If you enjoy smoking, you are going to do it more than once or twice each day. That's why they put 20 in a pack.

These hysterics over the casual use of any substance are just another way people fancy themselves to be in control of their mortality. The truth of the matter is, we live in a toxic soup that will kill all of us one day. You can drink filtered water and eat a vegan diet and run 10 miles a day until you die, and you are still going to die.

The key is activity and genetics. Any honest doctor will tell you that an active person who exercises regularly, eats decent and is a moderate drinker and smoker is, on average, going to outlive a sedentary person who sits on their ar*e all day.

But we are all going to die. Bet that. :)

Offline vanvooh

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
This is true.  I know because I had a heart attack a few years ago and quit smoking cold turkey the day I was admitted to the ICU for my heart attack. However, the extra weight and bein the most inactive/sedentary I have ever been have really hurt my health. I have gone back to smoking but my doctors including my cardiologist have really stressed that my weight and lack of movement are a bigger concern to them....

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 05:19:15 AM »
This is true.  I know because I had a heart attack a few years ago and quit smoking cold turkey the day I was admitted to the ICU for my heart attack. However, the extra weight and bein the most inactive/sedentary I have ever been have really hurt my health. I have gone back to smoking but my doctors including my cardiologist have really stressed that my weight and lack of movement are a bigger concern to them....

My great uncle drank and smoked heavily and lived to his nineties but I also had a very fit and active friend also a smoker , he died at age 50 of pancreatic cancer which is also linked heavily to smoking.  I guess on balance smoking is not good for you and we don't know which way our genetics are going to swing.  In the end it is our life and our choice as to what risks we deliberately take. 

Saint22

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »

My great uncle drank and smoked heavily and lived to his nineties but I also had a very fit and active friend also a smoker , he died at age 50 of pancreatic cancer which is also linked heavily to smoking.  I guess on balance smoking is not good for you and we don't know which way our genetics are going to swing.  In the end it is our life and our choice as to what risks we deliberately take.

Perfectly said.