Author Topic: **SPOILERS** San Jose 1 #U2eiTOUR Show Thread  (Read 1113 times)

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: **SPOILERS** San Jose 1 #U2eiTOUR Show Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That snippet of Landlady working its way to Best Thing is perfect.
Ali slowly cooling down the intensity of Acrobat.

*Interest piqued* Is that new?

Acrobat -> YTBTAM doesn't make any sense to me, but stick some Landlady in there and we have a redemption arc that makes sense. The lifeline.

Online McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
There are moments at a U2 show when the sheer force and power of what the four guys can do together is magical. Last night there were very few moments where that happened. For me, it was little more than I Will Follow, Gloria and Pride.

Hearing a throw away song like blackout played live was an improvement over the album, and there were a few other moments when the music shown through - such as raised by Wolves or Beautiful Day.

The stripped down version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is a boring insult to the original we heard on the last tour, and a rehash of the innocence version.

Most of the newer songs fell flat, especially Best Thing, All Because of You, American Soul. A few of them were down right embarrassing.

The crowd in San Jose was pretty lame. I missed the old days in Boston when we sang along without being prompted.

I am going back tonight, hoping to catch a few magical moments, and worried that the only set list change will be swapping New Year's Day for Gloria.

U2 always bring something special, but last night there was more spectacle than special. I miss the good old days.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
U2 played better than expected. Most songs were played very clean and powerful. The sound was great except for a bit to much distortion on some hard rockers.

Edge seems to have brought new sounds to many of the old songs, including the SOI songs. Loved the way they played Vertigo and more upbeat songs on b-stage. Best Thing acoustic is a momentum killer. Acrobat was worth the price of admission alone. A very good show for a beginning of a tour...

But 13 as a closer- whoa. Everybody was just standing and sitting wondering what happened. Even the other three just stand there in silence as Bono walks off. Very strange.

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
Review of 5/7 show:

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Omg! Did Bono just wander off (for the first time) at the end of 13? That's weird and hilarious. Now I gotta find sj1 video of that.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
Media reviews have been pretty universal in that they are giving the boys very high marks.  I just read the one posted above from Mercury news that echoes almost every other review I have read about songs from the Joshua Tree being absent and that it is not really a negative.  I have to give them credit for doing it and for me that has been seeing this band since 1984 (ironically the only tour I missed was the 2017 JT Tour), it is refreshing for them to make this move.   Can't wait for Vegas!  Me and the wife are leaving tomorrow morning to spend some time doing other things, then Friday and Saturday are for the concerts! Can't wait!

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
They're probably to the point where they can do no wrong in mainstream media's eyes. They're cemented legends. With a few others like Stones, Who, Eagles maybe. Rolling Stone mag gushes about everything U2 does.

That said, I never read journos' reviews of the tour or album. But it's awesome when they describe the songs in a fresh way (sometimes I'm receptive to journos' interpretations). One called the restrained singing of "nothing to stop this being the best day ever" a benediction.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
That snippet of Landlady working its way to Best Thing is perfect.
Ali slowly cooling down the intensity of Acrobat.

*Interest piqued* Is that new?

Acrobat -> YTBTAM doesn't make any sense to me, but stick some Landlady in there and we have a redemption arc that makes sense. The lifeline.

They should have done it that way, seeing that the show is so focused on the narrative of I/E/I going full circle.