Author Topic: U2: Retrospective  (Read 348 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
U2: Retrospective
« on: May 08, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
Because there has been a dearth of polls lately…  And to get a 2018 perspective on where people are at…  AND just because it sounds fun… 

Twice a month, starting in May and going through November, I’m going to start a new discussion/poll for each U2 album.  Prior to voting/commenting, I plan to listen to each song on each album anew (thus, “retrospective”). 

The main part of each post will be to vote for your three favorite songs from each album.  The next parts can be optional (well, the whole thing is “optional”), but I’ll structure my posts like this:
•   When did I first listen to that album?  What is my history with the album?   
•   How do I feel about the album when I listen to it today, versus how I’ve felt about the album in the past? 

Here’s the structure, so you can do your prep work:
Boy (early May)  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
October (mid May) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
War (early June) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Unforgettable Fire (mid June) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Joshua Tree (early July) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rattle and Hum – studio tracks only (mid July) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Achtung Baby (early August) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Zooropa (mid August) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pop (early September)
All That You Can’t Leave Behind (mid September)
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (early October)
No Line on the Horizon (mid October)
Songs of Innocence (early November)
Songs of Experience (mid November)

*I could quibble with myself and include Passengers: Original Soundtracks, but I’m not going to, as it’s not officially listed as a U2 album (though I personally do consider it a U2 album).  Also, only the studio tracks for Rattle and Hum will be included in the poll portion of that post. 

So there it is!  I’m going to spend the next couple of weeks getting reacquainted with the album Boy and will kick off the “U2 Retrospective” the first week of May.  Just a heads up for those who would like to play along at home.   
« Last Edit: Today at 07:59:37 AM by Vox »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: U2: Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:56:27 PM »
Cool! I'm excited!

Jus unsure of your timing, you say you're going to spend a couple weeks on Biy then post in early May. But it's May 8 already.

I'll be giving it a fresh listen in the next day or so.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
Sounds like a good project. I Will Follow.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cool! I'm excited!

Jus unsure of your timing, you say you're going to spend a couple weeks on Biy then post in early May. But it's May 8 already.

I'll be giving it a fresh listen in the next day or so.

Right!  I thought of doing this at the end of April and calculated when it would take to get down to December.  With that still in my head, I neglected to realize I was sitting a week into May.  I'm going to give Boy a listen tonight and put something up after that.  I'll do October later next week.