Author Topic: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:  (Read 2285 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:
« on: May 09, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
I wrote this on the San Jose 2 thread but honestly felt it is something that should be in its own thread.

Guys, yes, raise the roof.

Think about it this way. Everybody wants a piece of them. Bono in particular, we collectively demand it.

He will work his ass off for us and give us that piece. We may notice that what he is able to give is not the same as what we're used to, but he's gonna give all he's got.

But he wants that piece of us in return.

How hard must it be to give all that energy to people just sitting and staring at their phones.

Guys, give them, and especially our frontman who needs it, a big piece of us. He's working to give you a great time, meet him there. If you have to jazz yourself up, do it.

Saint22

Re: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
I've been following setlists, but bot really commentary. Are the crowds dead so far or something? What's going on?

From looking at the setlist ... wouldn't you say that a large portion of this show is meant to be followed and watched? I mean, I get during songs like Gloria, Elevation, Vertigo and Desire they are going to want to see the floor bounce, but during stuff on the screen, can you really go wild and pay attention to what is going on at the same time?

I'd be more concerned about that encore of two new songs. Are people leaving? Because that would make me angry.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
I don't know if people are leaving but we are seeing YT vids of bored people three feet from The Edge, reports of dead crowds, etc.

You can't bounce for every song, but you can holler your appreciation between songs, you can stay on your feet (this is all obviously allowing for disability, health, etc).

If you are in RZ and Adam or Edge are putting themselves out there for you, you can make them feel good and not just like someone caught in the spotlight.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
There is a reason more mature bands switch from a GA floor setup to seated layout.  U2's primary audience is in their 50's.  Yes, there are younger, but their core audience is old.  I myself am 47.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
They are old too.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
Yeah, but they have been in their dressing room relaxing until show time.  The audience has been standing around for hours even before they hit the stage.  Not to mention they probably worked their day job all day and have been up since 6am on a Monday night.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:34:48 PM by jgrooms »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
You should come to concerts in Europe. The audience in Europe is different.
Or watch a show in South America.
It's not the age of the audience, or when they got up in the morning.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There is a reason more mature bands switch from a GA floor setup to seated layout.  U2's primary audience is in their 50's.  Yes, there are younger, but their core audience is old.  I myself am 47.

I would say their primary audience is 40s at the moment. I would say 41 to 55, with the average being 48. I would say that is about 80% of the audience, 41 to 55. General Admission is one thing the band still gets right, with regards to tickets and pricing. Low priced ticket for the best position in the house. The audience would be a little younger on average if the millennials had not left 7 or 8 years ago. A new hit would help to broaden the current fan demographic.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
Yeah, but they have been in their dressing room relaxing until show time.  The audience has been standing around for hours even before they hit the stage.  Not to mention they probably worked their day job all day and have been up since 6am on a Monday night.

Oh come on. You're comparing waiting for the show to performing one?

It's not remotely the same.

So the prevailing attitude seems to be "I can't be Ar**d to clap and cheer for a band who is putting themselves out there."

Then stay home.

Offline 3po1nt0

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
come 5/15 i'll be very excited and intend to stand during the show but purchased last row upper deck to preclude the risk of blocking the view of someone who wants to sit (for whatever reason)

so i kinda doubt my energy will be felt by the band.  good news is most of LA1 is sold out by now and while night 2 still has a few sections with more availability i'm sure it will sell a little more in the remaining week or so, maybe even pick up considerably after night1 concludes. the band has obviously seen it all by now in terms of audience response, so they'll deliver a professional show no matter what but i'd agree it would be nice if the crowd was engaged and enthusiastic not just passive sponges to what is being performed on stage.

unfortunately the impression i'm getting is there are some low tempo songs/moments in the show that will result in possible crowd apathy or distraction. at the end of the day, what can you do. besides, the fanbase here on this specific board is pretty narrow compared to the sum total of arena attendees so we're not the target audience for your message.  i do encourage this sentiment though!

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but I think context is important.  And the age of the audience is part of that.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Nah, there are just a lot of lame ass middle aged Americans who are there because they can afford it.  It's just another consumer experience for most of them.  I'm with the OP. 

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:49:48 PM »
Dude Im worried about being able to stand the whole time.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »

Dude I hear you. I have multiple disabilities and a level of fatigue that has significantly curtailed my life. I don't ask anyone for more than they can give. Give what you can. Just don't phone it in is all I ask. Be present. Cheer when you can. Look happy to be there. Blow kisses. Whatever you can do, just think about it and don't assume your effort is for naught, even in the nosebleeds.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 06:12:23 PM »

Dude I hear you. I have multiple disabilities and a level of fatigue that has significantly curtailed my life. I don't ask anyone for more than they can give. Give what you can. Just don't phone it in is all I ask. Be present. Cheer when you can. Look happy to be there. Blow kisses. Whatever you can do, just think about it and don't assume your effort is for naught, even in the nosebleeds.
Im in GA should be interesting for my old ar*e