Author Topic: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:  (Read 1944 times)

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: If you're going to a U2 concert - think about this:
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
The hate I'm sending your way for being in GA should invigorate you.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
I feel the energy!  Nashville will be rocking! I was on a tour of the Arena a few months ago and they have a wall with autographs of people who played there and I was like who cares there is no U2 on there.  But now there will be.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 12:23:47 AM »
All very interesting and a bit too true at times. That said, I'll be 50 this year, I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 7, I have aches and pains like so many others, and oh yeah... I'm completely blind. But GA is where I will always be. Sometimes leaning against the side barrier, sometimes in the middle of the crowd, and in the case of last night, front rail in front of The Edge. I was even next to a guy who was dropped off at the front in a wheelchair because his knees are shot from being a hocky goalie most of his life. But 20 mins before the show started, he was up off the floor and completely into it. So a blind guy and a crippled guy at the front barrier. Damn, what are the odds of that???
So no LAMAA here.  ;D

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 05:30:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You should come to concerts in Europe. The audience in Europe is different.
Or watch a show in South America.
It's not the age of the audience, or when they got up in the morning.

THIS!

I live in the US. Never been to Europe or a concert outside of the US. However ALL the Europe and Mexico and South American videos the crowd is ALIVE. US crowds are dead except at hard rock heavier shows, or rap/hip hop. It's cultural. The 80s movie Footloose, no matter how cheesy it is, truly captures how America can be, especially the interior. Dancing and showing emotion in the US has connotations of effeminateness, weakness, or being uncool. Some sects and communities see dancing as evil. Urban culture is opposite. Expressiveness is celebrated. It is no coincidence that outsiders of urban culture, look down their noses of the expressiveness and boldness of emotion (not tied to aggressiveness) Cultural studies seem to support this. Cultures that value emotiveness, and have no issues with more intimate physical contact including closer personal zone/space tend to correlate with their views and participation with dance/expression with music. American males, outside of urban culture, have a stigma against expression unless it is aggressive. There is a reason why mosh pits, slam dance etc are fully embraced by the American male. Outside of urban culture, only drug culture such as raves see the American male participant in non aggressive expressiveness. Its almost like seeing a unicorn, to see a regular non-drugged up US male happily dancing in a non violent manner, without someone outright calling him gay... Even on 80s New Wave night at a club, that one dude dancing is usually me, or some guy whose gal finally had enough wall flowering and needed to get her dance on, so pulled him out on the floor.

I've lamented how older acts of U2's age have gone the way of seats in the GA section (for more than a decade now). I despise this. I am getting older and still MUCH prefer GA). I just saw Depeche Mode for the second time. Both times they had seats on the floor. It kills the life of a show. There are actual seats that can be purchased. Keep in mind, U2 charges much less for their best tickets - GA (and less on average) - than bands like Depeche Mode. Also, ironically, Depeche Mode's catalog as a whole is more danceable than U2!!! Sadly both Depeche Mode concerts Ive seen have been lifeless snoozefests, and the seats DID NOT help the energy level.

I long to experience U2 in Ireland or Italy.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 05:41:43 AM »
Additional note: Going along with my frowning on seats in GA... The day that U2 adverts one of the tours/shows with "An evening with U2", is probably the only time I may consider "boycotting" or throwing in my U2 card. (I forget which 80s contemporary act had recently adopted this seated dadpop dinner+niceshow musical-type outing. Sting has been the king of this for more than a decade)

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
All very interesting and a bit too true at times. That said, I'll be 50 this year, I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 7, I have aches and pains like so many others, and oh yeah... I'm completely blind. But GA is where I will always be. Sometimes leaning against the side barrier, sometimes in the middle of the crowd, and in the case of last night, front rail in front of The Edge. I was even next to a guy who was dropped off at the front in a wheelchair because his knees are shot from being a hocky goalie most of his life. But 20 mins before the show started, he was up off the floor and completely into it. So a blind guy and a crippled guy at the front barrier. Damn, what are the odds of that???
So no LAMAA here.  ;D

I love this^ so hard... Im 42? (my mathing without Excel is not very good). Right there with you - Poor eyesight, Diabetes, Myasthenia Gravis  (neuromuscular disease) and more. But Im a dancin fool, and during opening acts as well (many of which I have loved)

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 06:22:43 AM »
I'm nearly but not completely blind and walk with a white cane. Much worse, I have some mysterious illness doctors haven't done squat for which has rendered me often unable to get out of bed, weakened my heart, and given me bouts of agonizing pain in various joints and connective tissue. Not to mention I've actually collapsed a few times. Also I'm legally deaf and wear hearing aids.

Last time I travelled to Boston (just a few weeks ago) it took me two weeks to get out of bed. I will definitely have to recover from this trip too, hopefully in less time but who knows.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
Laoghaire is the new U2 mascot.

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »
If I wore a giant Achtung Baby mascot costume and ran around the venue trying to bring up the hype, it would cushion me nicely when I collapsed.

ALSO. Maybe they'd let me in GA as a concession. Hmm.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
If I wore a giant Achtung Baby mascot costume and ran around the venue trying to bring up the hype, it would cushion me nicely when I collapsed.

We would cheer you on and join. Maybe you could get yourself invited to hype all the shows!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »

I think maybe a JT would work better.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »
You could wear a trabant but that could lead to either a speeding ticket and/or a drunk driving ticket. 

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
I'd be a blind person stumbling around in a trabant. Jail time for sure.

Saint22

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
Additional note: Going along with my frowning on seats in GA... The day that U2 adverts one of the tours/shows with "An evening with U2", is probably the only time I may consider "boycotting" or throwing in my U2 card. (I forget which 80s contemporary act had recently adopted this seated dadpop dinner+niceshow musical-type outing. Sting has been the king of this for more than a decade)

The problem with floor seats at U2 shows would be the gigantic price they would command. I don't see it ever happening. The last tour with a seated floor was what, PopMart?

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 07:49:41 AM »
I was in the GA on San Jose #1 and people were (obviously) standing and into the show, other than the new songs. On night two I was in the (marked down) expensive seats and it was sadly passive. People didn't even stand until the 4th song. I wonder if the fans are old, too wealthy and there for a scene or what. In the end I think it all comes back to the opinion I have (power to all who disagree!) that they haven't made a compelling album in years. That to me explains the unsold seats (not ticket cost) and not "marketing" issues.