Author Topic: Acrobat is the new Exit  (Read 774 times)

Offline kate27

• Babyface
Acrobat is the new Exit
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't be seeing the boys on this tour, but seeing clips of Acrobat sure makes me sorry I'm going to miss them. I always thought Exit was a tour de force live and was utterly thrilled to hear it again last year. Acrobat seems to have the same vibe. People always talk about the "uplift" in U2's music but I've always liked their darker side (Love Comes Tumbling is another example.) My date for the JT show last year said he wished more of the show had been like Exit (he too is an old time die hard.) Thoughts?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: Acrobat is the new Exit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
Yup, great comparison. What a dream to hear these songs live.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
YES!!! My thoughts exactly! When I read rumors that Acrobat was being rehearsed, I immediately started dreaming they would be played next to each other

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Ya, and in ie2015, it was Bullet. "Can you see those fighter planes, when you(re) flying on private planes".

There's always 1 U2 song in the show that's like... Is this real life? Or am I in some version of purgatory? Some other plane of existence?

His theatric character acts help a lot (MqcPhisto, Shadowman, 2015 Bullet's angry old and young man Bono).

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
Indeed. I loved Bullet during ZooTV but wasn't the biggest fan of it afterwards, except for a maybe 1 or 2 strong performances since then.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
It's the new membership 'exit'
The latest u2 political hot potato.
Marmite song

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Indeed. I loved Bullet during ZooTV but wasn't the biggest fan of it afterwards, except for a maybe 1 or 2 strong performances since then.

I don't like the whole megaphone gimick, but that said the version played on i&e was the most intense I think I've heard, and edge tweaked little bits for the better.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »

I don't like the whole megaphone gimick, but that said the version played on i&e was the most intense I think I've heard, and edge tweaked little bits for the better.
I was really disappointed with Bullet on I&E. Didn't like what Bono turned it into and looking back at himself etc. Loved it on Elevation tour. And back on topic, love Exit and Acrobat. The 2 most anticipated songs from the 2 last tours for me.

Offline kate27

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
YES!!! My thoughts exactly! When I read rumors that Acrobat was being rehearsed, I immediately started dreaming they would be played next to each other
Ya, and in ie2015, it was Bullet. "Can you see those fighter planes, when you(re) flying on private planes".

There's always 1 U2 song in the show that's like... Is this real life? Or am I in some version of purgatory? Some other plane of existence?

His theatric character acts help a lot (MqcPhisto, Shadowman, 2015 Bullet's angry old and young man Bono).

I think the "casuals" wouldn't know what to make of Acrobat and Exit together. LOL I got some really strange looks when I went nuts as Exit started, as I'm sure the people around us (we were not in GA) had no clue what the song was. I bet it would be the same for Acrobat. I loved the Shadowman character. As I stated in my original post, Exit (and Acrobat, it seems) have a real dark intensity to them in an almost scary sort of way...and I do feel U2 have lost some of that intensity over the years...but then again, they're nearing 60, and well, I guess you gotta give them some slack. Still, though, Exit is KILLER and I'm willing to bet they'll probably never play that one again live. ??

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
^I can't believe casuals hearing Exit for the first time aren't haunted by the electrifying/what-have-you riff. Bone chilling, even before vocals start.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
Exit received a great response in both LA and Boston

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
I can't believe how perfect Bonos vocals are. My all time favorite song, in some odd way, waiting 20 years to hear it live makes it even more special.