Author Topic: e+i Vegas 1 2018-05-11 ***Spoilers***  (Read 940 times)

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
e+i Vegas 1 2018-05-11 ***Spoilers***
« on: May 12, 2018, 04:58:27 AM »
Initial thoughts:

Tour/show is still coming together. Some songs were flubbed. Older songs were off - City of Blinding Lights and One in particular. Certain sections shift the tempo of the show perhaps a bit too much Ocean + Iris kinda stop the show's momentum. However, well before Red Flag Day hit, I was already out of breathe, and tired from the rockin out the first 6 songs (Love is all we have left, is not a rockin out song, so didn't count that) A break from the intensity/high voltage songs, was REALLY needed, but Ocean + Iris didn't work for me. Also, the backing tracks are NOT needed for You're the Best Thing. It works elsewhere, but really drown out the band on this song, and counter the acoustic approach in a way that just doesn't blend well.

Thats the not so great parts, as for the rest... This is a SHOW & PERFORMANCE. Some kinks, but overall WOW. Even if you didn't know the backstory and everything that is going on, you still get a sense of a solid narrative weaved in. I went with a friend who only casually knows and likes U2 and she picked up most of it. There was only one section on the b-stage where Bono talked a bit much, but maybe I just wanted  him to stop talking and start the next song, because I couldn't make out anything he was saying. Tracks from Songs of Experience were truly big highlights, and it seemed the crowd response after them confirmed how well they went over. Blackout, American Soul, Love is Bigger should be new concert warhorses. They are SOOOOOOOOOO awesome live. I can easily see these songs getting better and better. With Love is Bigger, eventually people will know it more and take the sing-along even higher. I thought I would miss Streets, but Love is Bigger gave me AND my friend (who hadn't heard that song before) the chills, similar to Streets! I knew this song could be amazing live, but I wasn't sure if it would reach the level of child-inducing. They should close with this song. I know it skews the arc, but this song is meant to be a closer. Red Flag Day and Lights of Home both were great and felt like they have been playing them for years.

Staring at the Sun into Pride is powerful. Reading beforehand, that they were doing another acoustic version of Staring at the Sun, I was not excited about this. But WOW its a great performance and works soooo well. The visuals give it such a gut punch and is juxtaposed brilliantly against the beauty of Staring at the Sun (the song itself a purposeful contrast to the lyric). Then to go from that into Pride where the 4 band members are spread out and immersed into the crowd. This wasn't just a neat trick (which artists have done elsewhere, including U2). Here, on this song with the themes of resistance to hate and peaceful protest, it was intentional and precise in its use. On the floor, and perhaps in the stand as well, you truly did not know where to look. The band felt one with the audience, since we were not all looking up  in a singular direction at a stage. We were looking all around and at each other. This felt immersive and the crowd felt like it was in awe, with a sense of coming together, that you may feel at to march or protest. It was brilliance.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: e+i Vegas 1 2018-05-11 ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:28:42 AM »
That was awesome to read!

I'm thrilled to hear they played RFD - still pulling hard for it to stay in the set.

I also feel like Love is Bigger is both a high-note closer and has potential to be a staple and a hit with the casuals. Was thrilled to read it might have felt Streets-level - was not necessarily expecting that.

American Soul, I've had a hunch it would get bigger live, a la Bullet.

Your explanation of Pride in this tour is something I have not heard before, and it's awesome.

Did not expect to hear a casual catching the threads of the narrative since I've been wondering if it's been eluding even fans.

Sorry Ocean/Iris didn't work for you. I missed i&e so I am really looking forward to seeing Iris.

Super excited, thanks for the write-up.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Thanks! when is your show? hope you enjoy it!

I am amped up for Vegas2 tonight. Got a good feelin about it. Hoping it reaches the level of Vegas2 on the Vertigo tour! That show had intense energy level and threw in so many surprises!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:12:37 AM »
I'm headed for Boston 2. Did you have the same setlist as San Jose 2? Let us know your impressions of the second night as well.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
Yes, I believe it was exactly the same as San Jose 2!  Wish I could go to Boston show, I saw my second of 2 JT2017 shows there, and it was amazing!

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
My first show of the tour!!! Loved it!!! Unfortunaley social media cued me in that my favorite song Acrobat was gonna be there even though I was avoiding this forum, but overall loved it last night.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
Ocean is very avant garde. It takes some work upo the listener. The dissonance doesn't go over well in an arena.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
e+i Vegas 1 2018-05-11 ***Spoilers***
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
I was also at the Vegas show last night. My first U2 concert since the 80s so a very different experience. All the staging and video elements were fantastic, and the band seemed into it, but the sound was flawed, at least where we sat. It was a powerful sound system (literally chest-pounding when they kicked into Blackout), but the loud songs were muddy. The softer songs sounded better. I was thrilled they played Red Flag Day — one of the best songs on SOE. I teared up during Iris. That is a powerful song for anyone who has lost their mother.

I was sorry they played no songs from Joshua Tree, though I am into their whole discography enough that I still enjoyed the set. But my friend, who is a casual fan, was pi**ed, though I warned her. She said they should remember there are plenty of people who only see them once or a few times and want to hear those signature songs and she’s right. As we were streaming out of the arena one of the bars played Streets and the whole crowd sang along. I think it was missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
Check out Edge's pants on tour:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
I was also at the Vegas show last night. My first U2 concert since the 80s so a very different experience. All the staging and video elements were fantastic, and the band seemed into it, but the sound was flawed, at least where we sat. It was a powerful sound system (literally chest-pounding when they kicked into Blackout), but the loud songs were muddy. The softer songs sounded better.

Strange... Were you in seats or GA? My experience with the sound was opposite. I was in GA. The songs with loud harder deeper sound, like Blackout, Vertigo, Lights of Home, Raised By Wolves, American Soul etc all had almost perfect sound. They were crystal clear and I could hear every instrument distinctly. Sound seems to get most muddy immediately after the middle intermission. The softer songs the bass and drums suddenly overpowered guitar and vocals.

I hope the sound and the flubs on songs gets worked out tonight :)

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
Check out Edge's pants on tour:

Those are sweet!

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
I was also at the Vegas show last night. My first U2 concert since the 80s so a very different experience. All the staging and video elements were fantastic, and the band seemed into it, but the sound was flawed, at least where we sat. It was a powerful sound system (literally chest-pounding when they kicked into Blackout), but the loud songs were muddy. The softer songs sounded better.

Strange... Were you in seats or GA? My experience with the sound was opposite. I was in GA. The songs with loud harder deeper sound, like Blackout, Vertigo, Lights of Home, Raised By Wolves, American Soul etc all had almost perfect sound. They were crystal clear and I could hear every instrument distinctly. Sound seems to get most muddy immediately after the middle intermission. The softer songs the bass and drums suddenly overpowered guitar and vocals.

I hope the sound and the flubs on songs gets worked out tonight :)
We were in seats in the upper level. Glad you had a better experience with the sound, it was probably geared more for people in the lower level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about crummy sound, was not expecting that. I went to a lot of gigs for different bands in the 1990s and my two Zoo TV shows had sound of noticable quality. So I figured they had that part nailed and invested very well into it (definitely worth whatever $$$ and expertise they spend on it).

Bruno Mars' sound last year was surprisingly crummy. Well, maybe not CRIMINALLY bad but nowhere near top notch, and for me to notice says something (don't hear well enough to be an audiophile).

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 03:09:54 AM »
Update: The sound in GA for Vegas 2 was great, to my ears. Issues noticed on Vegas 1 were non existent for the second nite.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
The sound 10 rows up from the floor in the small stage corner was great.