Author Topic: Can we talk about the 1992 Billboard music award & Phil Collins?  (Read 720 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
Re: Can we talk about the 1992 Billboard music award & Phil Collins?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
I NEED to dig up offense. It gives my life meaning.

Or maybe I'm giving this forum a little oxygen including posting things that people can be offended that I posted. Yay!

Might have been 1992 but it was new to me.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
I remember "taping" this show on VHS tape back in the day, because I knew U2 were supposed to make an appearance.  I thought it was funny at the time.  Forgot about it until five years ago.  Watched it again and thought it was even more funny.  I kind of miss these guys, personally.

But to put this in a bit of perspective, Phil's only 9 years older than Bono or Adam (kind of surprising).  Their ribbing might have seemed to have a different intention if Phil was 20+ years older.  So that makes Phil, what, 41 years old in that video?  When U2 were that age they released All That You Can't Leave Behind.  Ahhh, age...  the great equalizer...     

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember "taping" this show on VHS tape back in the day, because I knew U2 were supposed to make an appearance.  I thought it was funny at the time.  Forgot about it until five years ago.  Watched it again and thought it was even more funny.  I kind of miss these guys, personally.

But to put this in a bit of perspective, Phil's only 9 years older than Bono or Adam (kind of surprising).  Their ribbing might have seemed to have a different intention if Phil was 20+ years older.  So that makes Phil, what, 41 years old in that video?  When U2 were that age they released All That You Can't Leave Behind.  Ahhh, age...  the great equalizer...     

IMO ... the 'parents' remark was more of a dig at Phil's music than it was Phil himself, which actually makes it worse, I suppose. At that point in his career, Phil was making music for moms and dads. Something tells me Phil didn't lose much sleep over it. It wouldn't surprise one bit if Bono called the next day and apologized if he thought they had hurt his feelings.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
I didn't find it that funny (at least not like Adam) or that disrespectful (old age jokes are just old).  I mean in 1992, Phil had been around a long time with Genesis and his greatest moments as a solo artist were probably behind him.  So it's probably also true that the band's parents might have been fans....or at least people in that age group were fans.  He's 10 years older than Bono and has about 10 years on their career.

Was it even an issue at the time?  Did Phil Collins ever discuss the exchange (it was a tough spot to be in....interviewing a band across the pond while they are drinking). Have we run out of things to be offended about today that we are reaching back in history?

I think people are surprised U2 would behave like that. I certainly was at the time. The fact that Phil was almost 10 years older does not make him their parents music at all. Not even close. Bono's Dad was born in the 1920s. To say at the time, that someones parents listen to your music was definitely an insult. Genesis had just finished one of their biggest tours for one of their biggest selling albums in 1992. It was only seven years past the release of Phil Collins biggest studio album, No Jacket Required. Phil Collins was younger in 1992 than most of U2's fanbase in 2018!

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »

IMO ... the 'parents' remark was more of a dig at Phil's music than it was Phil himself, which actually makes it worse, I suppose. At that point in his career, Phil was making music for moms and dads. Something tells me Phil didn't lose much sleep over it. It wouldn't surprise one bit if Bono called the next day and apologized if he thought they had hurt his feelings.

Phil in 1992 was on a huge tour with Genesis promoting the album "We Can't Dance". Worldwide it was one of the biggest selling albums of the year and the tour was one of the biggest of the year as well. So Phil was not in some making music for Mom and Dad situation in 1992, he and his mates in Genesis were actually competing with U2 for biggest band in the world. Sure they lost to U2 in that competition, but not by a lot.

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »

Phil in 1992 was on a huge tour with Genesis promoting the album "We Can't Dance". Worldwide it was one of the biggest selling albums of the year and the tour was one of the biggest of the year as well. So Phil was not in some making music for Mom and Dad situation in 1992, he and his mates in Genesis were actually competing with U2 for biggest band in the world. Sure they lost to U2 in that competition, but not by a lot.

I think Genesis was making Mom and Dad rock in 1992 also. I mean, come on. I was a teenager in 1992. I liked Genesis. I liked Phil Collins. I STILL like Genesis and Phil Collins. They were NOT popular with young people in 1992. 1986? Sure. I know that was a big record for them and tour, but I am questioning the number of people in the crowd who had children relative to those who had not.

I was about square as they came, but even I didn't cruise around on Friday nights jamming out to Jesus He Knows Me and No Son Of Mine. :)

(And I listened to Simon and Garfunkel in high school)

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
OMG are you me?

Simon and Garfunkle, check. I even turned my friends on to NEIL DIAMOND.

My dad liked Phil Collins.

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
I mean, I was fiiiiiine when my dad cranked up I Can't Dance or In the Air Tonight  in the car. Happy. But that tape was my dad's, not mine. It was totally worth it to see my dad do his Dad Moves. Good times. And I still owe my dad for listening to TJT and R&H nonstop, Jesus.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »

I think Genesis was making Mom and Dad rock in 1992 also. I mean, come on. I was a teenager in 1992. I liked Genesis. I liked Phil Collins. I STILL like Genesis and Phil Collins. They were NOT popular with young people in 1992. 1986? Sure. I know that was a big record for them and tour, but I am questioning the number of people in the crowd who had children relative to those who had not.

I was about square as they came, but even I didn't cruise around on Friday nights jamming out to Jesus He Knows Me and No Son Of Mine. :)

(And I listened to Simon and Garfunkel in high school)

Genesis was still much closer to U2 than Simon and Garfunkel. I was in High School at the time and I knew lots of people that were into Genesis and went to see the big tour in 1992. Genesis obtained most of their popularity in the 1980s. The average age of a U2 fan in 1992 was about 22. For Genesis it was probably about 28. A little older, but not much.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 05:52:09 PM »
Genesis' "Abacab" is pretty cool stuff.