Author Topic: **SPOILERS**Las Vegas 2 U2eiTour Show Thread  (Read 2783 times)

Offline crush_d

• Babyface
Re: **SPOILERS**Las Vegas 2 U2eiTour Show Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 05:30:52 AM »
All my shows are at different venues (actually one show per venue). So I can just hope one of them gets RFD. Another hope is for non-accoustic TBTAY.
Otherwise LV2 was awesome!

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
Went to both Vegas shows and walked away pretty disappointed last night. After seeing them 23 times, this will be the last time I see them multiple times on a tour. They sounded great, but your literally watching the same show again. And with these ticket prices I will be a one and done guy from now on. Also, as a long time fan...I am totally cool with them dropping JT songs and other war horses. However, its having a huge impact on the vibe of the show. I was asked to sit down each time I stood for a song. Most of the place sat the entire show. It has to be tough for them to look up at empty seats and a sitting audience.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
Yeah, I also have to say that this is really disappointing that they best they can offer for a 2nd night in Vegas is dropping one song and shifting the position of Beautiful Day and that is their idea of changing a set list.  Really imaginative U2.  Really this is just laziness.  I actually remember, some time back, I think on Vertigo tour, Steve Lillywhite joked that U2's idea of shaking up a set list is just playing it in reverse or changing the order. 

Really hope that they offer something different for multiple shows in the same city by the time they hit Montreal, which I'm not really excited to be going anymore, the only reason was that they are not playing Toronto, so decided to go to Montreal. With my luck, they will drop 2 songs and shift the order of another 2 songs and call that shaking up the set list.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
The amount of people sitting down during the show is disturbing. Most get up for the classics, but when there has been SOI/SOE songs- sitting begins. The stretch of SOI songs does not inspire the crowd. People either do not know the new material or do not like it. Plus, $330 tix seems to bring out more reserved people. When people start sitting for more than a song or two, it gets real hard to get their butts back up.

U2 needs to tweak the set list to keep momentum.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »
U2 have always played almost the same set night to night but have never churned out the same songs in the same city in recent memory. Not even on ZooTV.
Rotate IWF with Electric Co and the two acoustics from a bank of 7 or 8 songs. That is not asking for much. Really poor effort if they don't. They owe it to the tens of thousands of  people around the globe that pay their hard earned cash to go to more than one show.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 have always played almost the same set night to night but have never churned out the same songs in the same city in recent memory. Not even on ZooTV.
Rotate IWF with Electric Co and the two acoustics from a bank of 7 or 8 songs. That is not asking for much. Really poor effort if they don't. They owe it to the tens of thousands of  people around the globe that pay their hard earned cash to go to more than one show.
All I was wanting was one or two changes. It was funny that's all it took.First time I've felt like they didn't give it their all. And I've seen a lot of shows.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
Were they tired?  Having done a show the night before, and then the night before that - partying for Bono's Birthday.  Does age catch up with you that much?

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »
 This will be the last tour I go to multiple shows and I'm sure thousands of other fans will feel the same.

I don't accept the excuse the songs incorporate the visuals, if that is the case then make parts of the show without visuals !! Simple.

Ie tour had a nice variation , rotating an early slot and the 2 acoustic slots. Plus also a different closer in the encore. It is not that difficult to do.

The five shows I saw on ie tour last time, I saw a total of 32 songs and only 21 were the same at all five shows !!!!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
I've never understood the fans who complain about how the band doesn't change the set list for every show. They don't put a set list together because you have chosen to go to or stream 2, 3, 20 shows of the same tour. I'm sure the band very much appreciates that you are a big enough fan to want to see them that many times on one tour, but they really put the set list together for the 75% or so of the audience that is only going to see them that one time. The band never mentioned shaking up the set list each night, and have never really been known for doing that anyway, so I'm not sure why some fans get upset with them when it is YOU having placed YOUR expectation of different songs each night on them.

U2 has never been a band that shakes up the list a lot, so it amazes me that there are still fans out there that put this expectation on them and then get upset when it doesn't happen.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
U2 does not shake up the setlist a lot is true. It is not true though that they play the same set night to night.
They have historically rotated songs and one of the major reasons is for their fans. If they don't recognise to do this, it is a slap in the face.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
U2 does not shake up the setlist a lot is true. It is not true though that they play the same set night to night.
They have historically rotated songs and one of the major reasons is for their fans. If they don't recognise to do this, it is a slap in the face.

I went to 24 shows in 2015 (my retirement vacation/tour)and they always changed a few songs EVERY night. They changed up songs in all 8 shows I saw 2001 arenas and  8 shows in 2005. Usually not for stadiums. Not doing it now, definitely a slap in the face! I'm not adding shows this tour and no multiple shows in the future.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:02:42 PM by dougie »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
PEOPLE ARE BEING ASKED TO SIT DOWN?????
AT A BLEEDING ROCK CONCERT????

<cries>

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
Am I going to have to get into a brawl or something? Because I am not sitting down.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
I've never understood the fans who complain about how the band doesn't change the set list for every show. They don't put a set list together because you have chosen to go to or stream 2, 3, 20 shows of the same tour. I'm sure the band very much appreciates that you are a big enough fan to want to see them that many times on one tour, but they really put the set list together for the 75% or so of the audience that is only going to see them that one time. The band never mentioned shaking up the set list each night, and have never really been known for doing that anyway, so I'm not sure why some fans get upset with them when it is YOU having placed YOUR expectation of different songs each night on them.

U2 has never been a band that shakes up the list a lot, so it amazes me that there are still fans out there that put this expectation on them and then get upset when it doesn't happen.

Normally I'm in agreement with this sentiment, but even for them this is static. On I+E they carved out pockets of the setlist that they could vary night-to-night; my pair of shows in Chicago had 9 songs out of 47 unique to one show, and going through a couple other cities from the tour that number seems fairly typical (despite their being the tour premieres of Gloria and Crystal Ballroom). As much as I would love to be guaranteed to hear Gloria and RFD at my show, that stretch of real estate (along with IWF, as it no longer needs to be the thematic transition between the rock opening and SOI story that it was on I+E) is what's ideal to mix up, as they had been earlier in the tour; add Electric Co. to the ABOY and NYD that had been played there previously and that's a good pool of songs to keep things varied. 2nd half variety is trickier, as having BD in the opening (which is better for it IMO than a war horse slot) and no JT means they don't have a ton of options to swap for Elevation, Vertigo, and Desire, which have no story implications and aren't new songs making them ideal for varying, but Mysterious Ways would work. (I'd love to have Crystal Ballroom or The Fly be in the mix, but they don't quite have the down-to-the-most-casual-fan recognition needed here.) They're also set on closing the show on a fixed story, eliminating a point of flexibility from I+E.

Even 20% variability night-to-night is jarring to lose if it drops to almost zero, especially if that "variability" is deleting a song without replacement.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »

Yeah many of us uber fans do have an expectation that there will be some changes for a multi-show run in a single city. Not big changes, just one or two songs. You may think that an expectation of very minimal changes to the show from night to night is too much to ask for. But I don't, & as you can read above, I'm not the only one.

No, us multi-show ticket holders don't make up a large proportion of the crowd. But when you are failing to sell out either show of a two night run in Vegas, curtaining off entire sections (a bad look), every seat counts! We all know that for Live Nation, this is purely a money making exercise. So they probably should cater to U2's most loyal fans, as it will have some effect on the shows finances. Mopping up the remaining tickets for this leg (of which there are plenty), & particularly when it comes to buying tickets for future legs & tours.

I saw 5 shows on i+e. Some of my highlights we're seeing Gloria once, in the opening set rotation slot, & seeing Party Girl & AIWIY once, in the e-stage rotation slots.

For e+i I currently have tickets to European two shows. I was thinking about getting tickets to a third, but a lack of rotation will certainly make me reconsider this. If they make it to Australia I'll likely come home for that. But if there are no changes to the set it may only be for one or two shows, or I may not even come home at all for the tour.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:09:59 PM by d.darroch »