Author Topic: **SPOILERS**Las Vegas 2 U2eiTour Show Thread  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
Re: **SPOILERS**Las Vegas 2 U2eiTour Show Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for PopMart, that was back in the days when people actually bought whole albums and listened to them and tours had to be promoted. There's really no comparing 1997 to 2018, IMO; two completely different eras for how music and tours were marketed.

The parallels are actually pretty compelling.  As with 1997, the band is trying a bit too hard to push a concept that they started with SOI, at the expense of the presentation and the setlist.  Pairing that with very expensive tickets is making for a lot of empty seats.

The reasons Pop was a relative failure in 1997 and SOE was a relative failure in 2017 are different. The end result may be soft sales, but the reasons are completely different.

In 1997, U2 released an album that wasn't well-received by fans at all. They had already committed to a massive stadium tour with high prices for the time.
In 2017, U2 released an album in an era where the rock album is dead, they get zero radio play and they are almost 60 years old, and they booked their third tour in four years.

It really wouldn't matter if SOE were pushing an agenda or not; SOE could have been a grab bag of songs completely unrelated to SOI and full of what should be ready-for-radio material, and it still not sold. Bands that have been around for 40 years are going to struggle to sell anything other than copies of their classic albums. I know people who are going to see U2 in Nashville who had no idea SOE even existed.

E+I isn't selling because U2 were just out in 2015 and 2017. Again, look at the cities were shows are selling well and where they aren't. The cities that got shows in 2015 and 2017 are slow compared to cities that didn't. There's no magic there. Nashville and Atlanta are either sold out or close to it, and LA has tickets remaining.

Tickets sold in Nashville in 2015: 0
Tickets sold in Nashville in 2017: 0
Tickets sold in LA in 2015: 83,505/SELL OUT
Tickets sold in LA in 2017: 123,064/SELL OUT

They have sold 200,000 tickets in the last three calendar years in Los Angeles, and you are surprised that a third tour in the last four years isn't selling as quickly?

Aging, legacy bands, and U2 is now considered a legacy band for industry purposes, sell tickets, not albums. If U2 hadn't toured since 2015, the numbers would be much better. If they hadn't toured since 2011, people would be killing each other over tickets and they literally could name their price and sell out in minutes.

Bands like the Stones and The Who make albums that few people listen to or care about put still pack people in at shows, but they can't go on massive, exhaustive tours every two years. Look at Springsteen. He's not made a good album in 10 years, and he had to start playing sheds rather than arenas and stadiums in some markets because he just tours so much. He finally oversaturated the market.

Now? Now Bruce has gone away for a while doing the Broadway thing, and when he finishes that run and takes some time off, the fans will be rabid to see him with a band again.

IMO, U2 will take a break from touring for a while after this. They almost have to.

Very well-reasoned post and the comparison of ticket sales in those different cities is extremely telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It jumps out and smacks me in the face, you know? You have to look at patterns, and this is a pretty obvious pattern, IMO. Last year U2 went out behind their most popular album in the US and sold out stadiums. This year they are back behind an album many people don't even know exists. People who just saw them last year are sitting this one out.

Shows are expensive and (as we saw in LA) massive pains in the ar*e to get to. Many of us who don't live in major cities have to take time off from work and book flights or drive. Going to a show is a commitment, and when you just saw a band last year, you have to either be a really big fan or have a lot of money to make that commitment again so quickly.

The last time I saw REM -- a show that ended up being their final show in the United States -- Michael Stipe said something from the stage about understanding what a huge headache and expense it is to go see a major band, and how much he appreciated the effort. I had never really thought about that before. He said something about putting your life on hold for a day and paying $20 for water and a hot dog and all that.

I think it has a little to do with SOE having gone unnoticed and ticket prices, but I honestly think it has more to do with the number of shows they have played in these markets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:38:19 AM by Saint22 »

Offline hellonice

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
It's ticket prices and saturation. That's it. Even though prices are dropping as you get closer to the show, most people don't know that. $200 in Newark to sit in the upper deck - come on. $330 to sit downstairs? For real?

If people saw them last year, and are more casual, not going to pay $330 for 2 tickets (PLUS FEES)!

The sets don't change much - which I'm fine with. That's the band - they have crafted a story/narrative, and I know that going in - but I'm more strapped for cash to see the show multiple times. For Phish - $80/seat and they change the set completely. Not asking for that with U2 - but if tickets were $150 (with fees) easier to do multiple shows. The fees are the killer. It's 25ish% of the ticket added on.

So far in this tour - they still are getting under their feet - so I am going to wait and see about changes. I'm good with "A set" and then rotating a few slots in cities with multiple dates.

I'd like to see All Because of You and Red Flag rotate (although I love RFD a lot) maybe I Will Follow and Out of Control/Electric Co.

Rotations I'd like:

All Because of You -> Red Flag Day (already seeing that)
I Will Follow->  Out of Control or The Electric Co.
You're the best thing about me -> Stuck in a Moment acoustic / Mysterious Ways acoustic  / The First Time acoustic
City of Blinding Lights -> Walk On

Offline hellonice

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »
Another thought on it:

I saw them out in San Jose (I was there for work), but live in the NYC area.

I have potential 5 shows to see - in the past I'd do 2-3 - now because of prices/set - 1 will be what I do. And that's just me.

Offline Onob_Nosweh

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
I think the dynamic pricing model is the main cause of empty seats. It's fairly new and it seems that both fans and scalpers are getting used to it.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, and it is interesting to compare their ticket sales with U2. Neither Radiohead or U2 have been at the top of the charts for quite some time, both have been touring a decent amount the past few years. Both mainly play arenas. Both have dedicated fan bases, with U2 arguably having a bigger one.

Radiohead are still using the old "fan friendly" model of charging less for face value (~$100 for most seats and GA, ~$70 for the worst seats). The shows sell out within minutes. In bigger markets (NY, CA), ticket prices are high in the secondary market. In smaller markets (KC, NOLA), tickets can be had for as little as $9 in the weeks leading up to the show.

I think U2 would see the same sales, as the lower prices attract casual fans, and have scalpers scooping up everything else in the hopes of a profit. Scalpers aren't going to touch a $400 (after fees) ticket unless it is the hottest of acts.

I'm not sure which model I like better. With either, in smaller markets, if you're patient, you can get a really great seat for a decent price (or a bad seat for peanuts), but you don't get the security of knowing you have a seat until late in the game.

In large markets, I guess I like the "fan friendly" way better, as you at least have a shot of getting a decent seat at a good price at the initial sale, though bots are making that harder.

But, if dynamic pricing proves to be more profitable, that's the way the rest of the industry will go.

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
It's ticket prices and saturation. That's it. Even though prices are dropping as you get closer to the show, most people don't know that. $200 in Newark to sit in the upper deck - come on. $330 to sit downstairs? For real?

If people saw them last year, and are more casual, not going to pay $330 for 2 tickets (PLUS FEES)!

The sets don't change much - which I'm fine with. That's the band - they have crafted a story/narrative, and I know that going in - but I'm more strapped for cash to see the show multiple times. For Phish - $80/seat and they change the set completely. Not asking for that with U2 - but if tickets were $150 (with fees) easier to do multiple shows. The fees are the killer. It's 25ish% of the ticket added on.

So far in this tour - they still are getting under their feet - so I am going to wait and see about changes. I'm good with "A set" and then rotating a few slots in cities with multiple dates.

I'd like to see All Because of You and Red Flag rotate (although I love RFD a lot) maybe I Will Follow and Out of Control/Electric Co.

Rotations I'd like:

You're the best thing about me -> Stuck in a Moment acoustic / Mysterious Ways acoustic  / The First Time acoustic

I love your IWF/OOC/EC idea for rotation. I would go so far as to say give IWF a rest and rotate the other two and maybe Stories For Boys
I wouldn't rotate any SOE songs, because it is very likely they are gone for good after this tour.
I think both City and Walk On need a rest.

I would rotate Elevation and Vertigo. Play one, not both. That frees up a slot for another rocker like The Fly or Dirty Day. Maybe Gone.
I'd do an acoustic rotation in the Staring At The Sun slot. Angel Of Harlem. When Love Comes To Town, Wild Horses, Stay.

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »

Rotations I'd like:

And like we have said, I really don't think the band intends or possibly even wants people to see more than one show. They couldn't discourage it more if they tried, really.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »

Rotations I'd like:

I love your IWF/OOC/EC idea for rotation. I would go so far as to say give IWF a rest and rotate the other two and maybe Stories For Boys
I wouldn't rotate any SOE songs, because it is very likely they are gone for good after this tour.

I would rotate Elevation and Vertigo. Play one, not both. That frees up a slot for another rocker like The Fly or Dirty Day. Maybe Gone.
I'd do an acoustic rotation in the Staring At The Sun slot. Angel Of Harlem. When Love Comes To Town, Wild Horses, Stay.

I agree with the rotation of Boy songs and not rotating out SOE tracks. I'd say it's safe to conclude Walk On's never getting played again. They're probably not going to play their song dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi after putting out a statement condemning her for failing to speak out against what's being done to the Rohingya.

After watching the intermission video for the first time yesterday, I'd say it'd have to be dropping Vertigo. Depicting the band as reborn after the days of wild partying and mirror balls begs a follow-up with a ATYCLB track; BD's already been played, so Elevation it is. The issue with rotating out SATS is that as is the show structure requires a political song there, and even if I never saw SATS as a song about political blindness until Bono told me so, it has a role. Conveniently, another Pop track has shown it works in an acoustic rendition and would also work as a lead-in to Pride, albeit in a different way than the end of SATS - Please. 

Part of why the set lists are so static is that the show has been thought out and scripted to the point that it's hard for me to think of other songs that could sub in for what most of the songs do. It'd be easier if they brought back the Wild Horses slot and mixed in a few songs there (the one proper, mild, grievance I have with the band is them teasing their rehearsal of Wild Horses and then, by all appearances, playing it exactly once).

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »

Rotations I'd like:

I agree with the rotation of Boy songs and not rotating out SOE tracks. I'd say it's safe to conclude Walk On's never getting played again. They're probably not going to play their song dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi after putting out a statement condemning her for failing to speak out against what's being done to the Rohingya.

After watching the intermission video for the first time yesterday, I'd say it'd have to be dropping Vertigo. Depicting the band as reborn after the days of wild partying and mirror balls begs a follow-up with a ATYCLB track; BD's already been played, so Elevation it is. The issue with rotating out SATS is that as is the show structure requires a political song there, and even if I never saw SATS as a song about political blindness until Bono told me so, it has a role. Conveniently, another Pop track has shown it works in an acoustic rendition and would also work as a lead-in to Pride, albeit in a different way than the end of SATS - Please. 

Part of why the set lists are so static is that the show has been thought out and scripted to the point that it's hard for me to think of other songs that could sub in for what most of the songs do. It'd be easier if they brought back the Wild Horses slot and mixed in a few songs there (the one proper, mild, grievance I have with the band is them teasing their rehearsal of Wild Horses and then, by all appearances, playing it exactly once).

Hopefully, they have learned their lesson about making one of their songs all about a single person. People have a tendency to let you down. And that U2 got sucked into the cult of personality and got burned serves as an important reminder to keep your eyes open -- especially when it comes to politicians.

Offline hellonice

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:48 AM »
Good call on the Walk On - didn't even think of it.

Offline Ron2112

• Babyface
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:10 AM »

I said IN SOME MARKETS on Bruce. Sure, he can see out Philly and NYC all day long. In other markets, he's playing sheds. I saw him in a shed in Atlanta.

For every Atlanta stop the last 10 years, Bruce has either played Philips Arena or Aaron's Amphitheatre.  Both are 17.5K-seating venues.  Hardly "sheds".

I used to follow Bruce as closely as I do U2 until he stopping making good albums and started playing crap setlists.

Funny enough, what you're saying about Bruce is exactly what a lot of people are saying about U2, and precisely the reason that's being cited for the vast swaths of empty seats at the arenas on this tour.  And thus, we come full circle.

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »

I said IN SOME MARKETS on Bruce. Sure, he can see out Philly and NYC all day long. In other markets, he's playing sheds. I saw him in a shed in Atlanta.

For every Atlanta stop the last 10 years, Bruce has either played Philips Arena or Aaron's Amphitheatre.  Both are 17.5K-seating venues.  Hardly "sheds".

I used to follow Bruce as closely as I do U2 until he stopping making good albums and started playing crap setlists.

Funny enough, what you're saying about Bruce is exactly what a lot of people are saying about U2, and precisely the reason that's being cited for the vast swaths of empty seats at the arenas on this tour.  And thus, we come full circle.

Shed is slang for amphitheater.

I think Bruce and U2 are both selling more slowly because both have played so many shows in major US markets in the last 5 years. Many Bruce fans liked his most recent albums way more than I did. I personally haven't liked one since Magic. But I've not skipped any tours. Yet. However, I can tell you this: The next time Bruce tours, unless his new album just rocks my socks, I will wait and see the sets he's playing before I buy a ticket. I don't need to hear all the warhorses and BITUSA album cuts ever again.

My point to you is, those seats that were empty for U2's shows in LA would have been empty whether they were playing Streets or not, or whether SOE was flying off shelves or not, because of the number tickets they've sold there since 2015. You just cannot get the same people back over and over and over and over again, and at this point in the game, how many new fans can they be making? And can those young people afford a $300 ticket?

Offline hellonice

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »
Exactly, the casual fan doesn't know they won't be playing Streets or WOWY. They saw them a few years ago, last year...$300 for this year - it's not a MUST see.

Offline Ron2112

• Babyface
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »
My point to you is, those seats that were empty for U2's shows in LA would have been empty whether they were playing Streets or not, or whether SOE was flying off shelves or not, because of the number tickets they've sold there since 2015. You just cannot get the same people back over and over and over and over again, and at this point in the game, how many new fans can they be making? And can those young people afford a $300 ticket?

So I agree with you that $300 per ticket is a lot for ANYONE -- young or old.

But plenty of bands play static setlists, with fans catching multiple shows on a tour, IF the ticket price is in the $50-$100 range.

Agree that the rotating setlist isn't mandatory, but in the past it HAS been part of what makes a U2 tour cool.  The static setlist, plus the casual-fan averse setlist, plus high ticket prices are making for a perfect storm that is keeping people away.